Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Do you wear a helmet?

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Do you wear a helmet?

Old 05-31-19, 10:25 AM
fat2fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Okay so after a couple weeks of riding more and more, I can say, I don't really wear a helmet. Shun me!
Old 05-31-19, 12:34 PM
johjo

Bikes: Bianchi Lucca

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
While we appreciate the links, it is also acceptable to summarize the articles or provide cliffs. In any event, I would have prefer sections such as this, which would tell me all I need to know about bike helmets.

Cost wasn’t a predictor of performance. While a more pricey lid may be lighter, better ventilated, more stylish, or come equipped with a more comfortable strap system, it won’t necessarily keep you from getting concussed better than a helmet that costs significantly less. Both the $200 Bontrager Ballista MIPS and the $75 Specialized Chamonix MIPS earned 5-star ratings. (See the full list of rated helmets.)
Hi KraneXL, I understand your preference, and that clip is a good one, thank you for sharing it.

hokiefyd, I'm sorry for RJ The Bike Guy's fall, but it was a very illustrative video.

I have worn a helmet for my last few rides and I've purchased the Chamonix listed above because of the MIBS technology, I didn't take a deep dive into all aspects of helmets, though. We will see if wearing one becomes a full time habit. It's a little bit hotter and I can't keep my cheaters on my head- no big deal. ::shrug::
Likes For johjo:
Old 06-01-19, 04:57 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Always. It only takes once.
Likes For camjr:
Old 06-04-19, 09:06 PM
denada

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
100 percent of the time. bikes are so far up and my head is so important. couldn't watch the video. i cannot stand the idea of crashing a bike. how could you not get seriously injured.

didn't when i used sevici, redbike, and divvy. fell on my way home from the bar back when i was young and dumb. not wearing a helmet and straight over the handlebars. suppose i had youth protecting me at that point in life. ruined my sunglasses, which i was wearing at 4am for obvious reasons. makes no sense that i still have all my teeth.

use a hybrid for commuting, but i have a road bike at my parents' that i ride with my pops. if i wreck that thing, i hope i die quick. would be like swan diving into the asphalt.

as a little kid, bikes were life. took one fall head first into the curb. lost a chunk of my helmet. without it, i'd talk a lot slower today -- if at all.

my helmet is not uncomfortable, save a bit more sweat. safety ion colored specialized centro. with mips and cost me $65 (plus chicago's 10.25 percent sales tax). most important accessory. hangs by my door and always comes with me. like others have mentioned, even if i'm just riding 5 minutes to the post office or whatever.

Last edited by denada; 06-04-19 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 09:35 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
After something like 8-10 concussions with 3 that resulted in short term memory loss (4-12hours ) and numerous sets of stitches in my noggin I always wear a helmet.
Old 06-04-19, 10:19 PM
CarloM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I view wearing helmet like having insurance. You don't want to be in a position where you wish you were covered...
Old 06-04-19, 10:35 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Do you wear a helmet?

96% of the time - no. When I'm riding a bike - yes.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-17-19, 08:35 PM
ridey b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife won't have me leave the house without . Helmets did save our lives long
ago when we had a motorcycle tire blowout.
Better safe than sorry
Old 06-17-19, 08:46 PM
velojym

Bikes: 2000 Kona Jake the Snake, Surly LHT, Montague Paratrooper, Cannondale M500, Santana Arriva, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wear a helmet, but I don't agree with forcing anyone to if they don't want.