Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek dumps LeMond

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek dumps LeMond

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 04:39 PM
azdroptop

Bikes: 03 Lemond, 08 S-works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late as in consistantly using full carbon fiber. To be honest, I didn't know his name was ever on a full carbon bike until a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted by Mike V
Late? 1991 is not late.

MV
Old 04-08-08, 05:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike V
Late? 1991 is not late.

MV

That's a pre-Trek Lemond. The Trek-LeMond deal was made in 1992.
Here's an interesting ad:

Greg's riding a "LeMond" bike but it was built by Carbonframes / Calfee so they cleverly modified the photo to edit out the name and still create a neat effect and a legitimate ad. Anyway, these could have been big sellers, but Greg sold out to Trek (as well as that k-mart company). I also remember that Trek/LeMond bikes were way overpriced in the early '90s.
Old 04-08-08, 05:21 PM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank goodness for this happening. now trek won't kill lemond like they have with klein & fisher
Old 04-08-08, 05:25 PM
pwyll99

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 1885 Veloce, 2003 Specialized Rockhopper, 2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50, 2006 Electra Ratrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrt10x
Could be an opportunity to pick up some great deals on closeout Lemonds
I think the bike shops knew this was coming for a while. The LBS's had 07 Lemonds for very good prices back in December (i.e. Versaille for $1500 and Zurich for $2K).
Old 04-08-08, 05:25 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick
I'm glad I got my poprad when I did. I really like that bike. I also have a 2006 Zurich. Also really like the bike.
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
And that's exactly the niche that Lemond bikes fit really well. Trek didn't understand that, maybe Greg didn't either, then came cookie cutter carbon fiber bikes with almost no appeal to anybody.

Trek did the same thing with Klein - took a good thing with a smallish but loyal fan base and screwed it up. The only aluminum Kleins now are hybrids and shock absorber bikes. There are lots of folks who love the fat round tubes and awesome paint jobs and now we have lost the best example of them.

you are so correct. trek tried to turn klein and then lemond into trek mini-me's. those companies appeal was never going to be mainstream like trek's appeal. trek doesn't know how to run a niche brand- they only know how to be everything to everybody, and consequently, neuter the character of these left-of-center brands.

riding a trek is a bit like going to dinner at the Olive Garden- the food is so-so, and it's not really italian- it just pretends to be. real italian food comes from mama's kitchen, not from a group of corporate chefs.

Last edited by redmist; 04-08-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 05:32 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Perfect take............
Old 04-08-08, 05:35 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeDork02
As a Trek/Lemond/Fisher dealer employee I can tell you first hand that Lemond's big mouth in the last year has made it very difficult to sell his product.
Or maybe this picture made racing bikes with his name on them less attractive.....

Old 04-08-08, 05:51 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Or maybe this picture made racing bikes with his name on them less attractive.....

Now that's not fair. Recumbents make EVERYTHING look less attractive...

Old 04-08-08, 06:09 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek

I'd bet my next paycheck GL could smoke you on that recumbent, banerjek...
Old 04-08-08, 06:12 PM
elemental

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redmist
"as long" and "less than a year"?

lol!
Glad to see you've caught my witticism! Nothing ever gets by you!
Old 04-08-08, 06:16 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Careful Banerjek, you'll soon have people rallying on the Recumbent forum to kick some Road Cycling butt.
Old 04-08-08, 06:31 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayonnaise
https://www.competitorradio.com/details.php?show=21

for those that say Lemond is crazy, spend an hour and listen to this interview. He makes a lucid case for what he believes, particularly in documenting the rise of EPO in the early 90's. His thoughts are organized, clear and deep.

Lemond has career disappointments but I don't buy into the sour grapes theory. It is my belief that Lemond's version of the truth is closer than Armstrong's. I'd sure be interested in reading the text messages Lance is pinging across the globe today: bet he's gloating big-time on squashing Lemond like a bug.

Listen and form your own opinion.
+1.

Greg's no whacko.

Listen to what he has to say BASED ON HIS PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. He saw the changes in the early 90's first hand. His stand is not new.

Listen to the broadcast. Make up your own mind.

A must hear.
Old 04-08-08, 06:37 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
+1.

Greg's no whacko.

Listen to what he has to say BASED ON HIS PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. He saw the changes in the early 90's first hand. His stand is not new.

Listen to the broadcast. Make up your own mind.

A must hear.
I don't think Lemond is a whacko based on his allegations of doping in the peloton. More for other reasons. He does seem to carry a bit of the martyr complex, he fights too many battles.

But I'm down with Greg on the doping in general. But my view is since it was so widespread, accusing a cycling star of that era of 'cheating' for using EPO is a bit preposterous. If my career ended at the beginning of all that and I was clean (as I believe Lemond and his competitors generally were), I'd feel the same way. But I'm not sure I'd think it was the World's Plot to Bury Greg Conspiracy either. I also don't know what choice the riders of the Armstrong era had. I strongly feel it's a business, and that was required at the time.

If you want Sportsmanship go to the local Little League game and watch some drunk local father cold cock the umpire.
Old 04-08-08, 06:53 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
you are so correct. trek tried to turn klein and then lemond into trek mini-me's. those companies appeal was never going to be mainstream like trek's appeal. trek doesn't know how to run a niche brand- they only know how to be everything to everybody, and consequently, neuter the character of these left-of-center brands.

riding a trek is a bit like going to dinner at the Olive Garden- the food is so-so, and it's not really italian- it just pretends to be. real italian food comes from mama's kitchen, not from a group of corporate chefs.

Amen. I'd love to see Lemond bikes emerge from this rubble like the Phoenix. 853 is very high quality, luxurious-riding steel and Lemond geometry is legendary.

And who's to say if he sets up his own company, those Trek employees who made Lemonds won't switch?

And who's going to miss Bontrager components anyway?

And finally, if anything was depressing Lemond sales, perhaps it was it's association with those cookie-cutter treks.

Just sayin'!
Old 04-08-08, 07:05 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope he's able to step out on his own if that's what he wants to do. The LeMond bikes were definitely the most interesting of Trek's offerings, at least to me.

Chalk up another one for Lance I guess.
Old 04-08-08, 07:32 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Treks are among the best bikes in the business and claims to the contrary are just silly.

I know it's fun to rag on Trek because they are the industry leader and it makes you feel "in the know" to prefer something less well-known, but Trek has done the engineering and has the bikes to back it up.

LeMond and Klein are dying because the relevance of their expertise faded. High end steel and Ti are owned by the custom builders and even Cannondale is deprecating high-end aluminum. It's all about carbon now and that's what butters Trek's bread.
Old 04-08-08, 07:37 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That's a pre-Trek Lemond. The Trek-LeMond deal was made in 1992.
Here's an interesting ad:

[IMG]htt p://lh3.google.com/DiabloScottsBikeBlog/Rm7IeTX3aDI/AAAAAAAAAvs/F3OIlq31BKA/s800/Carbonframes%201995.JPG[/IMG]

Greg's riding a "LeMond" bike but it was built by Carbonframes / Calfee so they cleverly modified the photo to edit out the name and still create a neat effect and a legitimate ad.
Anyway, these could have been big sellers, but Greg sold out to Trek (as well as that k-mart company). I also remember that Trek/LeMond bikes were way overpriced in the early '90s.
was that him, or his father? as i recall, his father was his business manager, and they ended up terminating the profesional relationship, because ol' man LeMond did not always make the best choices.
Old 04-08-08, 07:48 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I ride a 2002 Lemond Zurich and a 2006 Curtlo.

The thing that I will miss if the Lemond bikes go under is their frame geometry. I really need to ride a bike with a long top tube compared to the seat tube. For me it was either buy a stock Lemond used (at a great price) or go custom. Used Lemond was a no brainer vis-a-vis the pocketbook. I got a great bike for well under $1K.

The Curtlo I bought was also used, but the frame geometry was really close to what I would have ordered custom. I also bought it as a bike to take to the mountains (light components, compact chainrings). While the Curtlo is a nicer bike, I generally chose the Lemond for the local "hammerhead" ride. It just works a wee bit better for me on those kinds of rides.
Old 04-08-08, 07:49 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I also don't know what choice the riders of the Armstrong era had. I strongly feel it's a business, and that was required at the time.
What?? That seems a bit crazy to me. If we go by this line of thought, we will always do "whatever" makes us more competitive.
Old 04-08-08, 07:51 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Treks are among the best bikes in the business and claims to the contrary are just silly.

I know it's fun to rag on Trek because they are the industry leader and it makes you feel "in the know" to prefer something less well-known, but Trek has done the engineering and has the bikes to back it up.

LeMond and Klein are dying because the relevance of their expertise faded. High end steel and Ti are owned by the custom builders and even Cannondale is deprecating high-end aluminum. It's all about carbon now and that's what butters Trek's bread.
I don't have a problem with Trek bikes.

Klein's were a very nice aluminum framed bike with fantastic paint. Trek bought it and it stagnated. Too bad.

Lemonds were unique with their geometry in my opinion. Seems they went all over the place with frame materials. I never liked the latest carbon fiber models. Maybe the paint job reminded me of a Trek.

Well, I have my Maillot Jaune and I think I'll hang on to it for a good long time.
Old 04-08-08, 08:05 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed

indeed, trek makes a great bike. the all-singing, all-dancing madone bear this out. it's just that they seem- (IMHO) just a bit boring- especially with all that bontrager littered about. a good bike? yes, a solid performer? no doubt- but where's the character?

since trek owned lemond, why didn't they apply their "expertise" to lemond and position the brand to flourish? if high end steel was out, why couldn't they apply their carbon techniques to the lemond brand? there are many italian brands historically known for their steel frames that have changed with the times and have flourished- while still offering a few steel frames to boot.

where trek failed was in marketing and positioning the lemond brand. they applied the trek formula to lemond, and it ended up watering down the image of lemond. ride an old lemond today and see how many looks and questions you get from other cyclists. lemond has the name and the image. trek failed to capitalize on this.
Old 04-08-08, 08:30 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
since trek owned lemond, why didn't they apply their "expertise" to lemond and position the brand to flourish? if high end steel was out, why couldn't they apply their carbon techniques to the lemond brand? there are many italian brands historically known for their steel frames that have changed with the times and have flourished- while still offering a few steel frames to boot.
They =did= apply their carbon expertise to the Lemond brand while still offering steel, not to mention the 'spine' experiement. But it's hard to carve a niche for separate but very similar bikes, especially when the guy whose name is on one brand is hurting sales with his mouth.
Old 04-08-08, 08:43 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where trek failed was in marketing and positioning the lemond brand. they applied the trek formula to lemond, and it ended up watering down the image of lemond. ride an old lemond today and see how many looks and questions you get from other cyclists. lemond has the name and the image. trek failed to capitalize on this.

Think about how many models Trek manufacturers across all categories. You're lucky if you see 20% of the catalog represented in a typical Trek dealer. This puts dealers in a difficult situation.

When purchases are made, I'm sure it's the safe bikes that make it to the showroom floor and if you want something else you have to order it. Yes, if Trek was advertising the Lemond/Klein/whatever line more there would probably be more of them sitting on the floor, but if you're a dealer do you really care? You just want something that's going to sell - regardless of whose name is on it.

I would love to see some of these manufacturers pare down their lines. Does Trek REALLY need 25 models of road bikes? I almost wonder if their ever growing linup is a strategy to push other brands out of the showroom.

Last edited by JeffS; 04-08-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 09:11 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Think about it! When you buy a business or brand, to make it thrive, you capitalise on that brand's strength, address its weaknesses with sound action plans, and, hopefully, that brand should thrive.

Trek has bought three outstanding cycling brands (Gary Fisher, Klein and Lemond), and I posit that none of those brands are doing exceptionally well today. And they were all innovative brands in their own ways.

WHY?

Well, I do not know the whole story, but as a cycling enthusiast, I am sad about this turn of events.

In my view though, I think Trek has succeeded in using the cash flow from the "Armstrong Pull" to buy up competitors, run those brands shoddily, and we are now where we are at.

We, cycling enthusiasts, that is, are all gonna pay big time.

Just watch.

Full Disclosure: I do own a Lemond Buenos Aires that I like very much.

Regards,

Last edited by Jed19; 04-08-08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 09:49 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I tend to agree that Lemond filled an earlier market niche (steel and Ti) while Trek went in another directions -- AL, then carbon. For example, this 1989 Trek 660 was probably the last or close to the last of the higher end steel racing bikes offered by Trek:

Last edited by RFC; 04-08-08 at 10:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.