Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

park tools worth the price?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 11:24 AM
dee-vee
vegan powered

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to start doing all the repairs on my bikes myself so I am looking for a tool set, is the Park Tool AK-37 set worth the $300 price? What about the spin doctor sets?
Old 04-27-08, 11:40 AM
skiracing

Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR 2 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think with the sets you get certain tools for which you have no use; i'd just get the tools you need specific to your bike.
Old 04-27-08, 12:02 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Park Tools are worth the price. But think carefully before you buy a set. The come with some tools that you'll never use but it is cheaper than buying all of the tools separately. So you may be able to just sell of the ones you don't need and come out ahead.
Old 04-27-08, 12:43 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by dee-vee
I want to start doing all the repairs on my bikes myself so I am looking for a tool set, is the Park Tool AK-37 set worth the $300 price? What about the spin doctor sets?
Park Tools are considered "professoinal grade". They might be overkill for the home mechanic. I have about 85% Park and 15% "others" in my bicycle specific tool box. The "others" work fine for me. I do find the Park designs to be a little better and more comfortable to use, which is probably more important if you make a living wrenching.
Old 04-27-08, 03:01 PM
JosephPaul86
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes if you are a bike mechanic...no if you are a DIY on a budget guy.

Recently I found a deal on Pricepoint.com for some tools. So far I have used them on my road bike and mountain bike to tear down to the frame, clean, lube everything. That being said, they are not the best quality of the few park tools I have....but they get the job done.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...--21-Tools.htm
Old 04-27-08, 03:28 PM
goatalope
Biking Viking.

Bikes: '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have a $50 nashbar kit and it works fine. Occasionally I buy individual park tools when I need something specific. Then again, having Park tools gives you "street cred"... as the kids say.
Old 04-27-08, 03:41 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Buy the best tool you can afford as you need them.
One expensive tool you can get by with a home made equivalent is the headset press.
Old 04-27-08, 05:13 PM
dervish
unofficial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for buying tools one at a time, and if u run into a job where u dont have the tool, just go to ur LBS...its always worked for me
Old 04-27-08, 05:37 PM
MudPie

Originally Posted by JosephPaul86
That being said, they are not the best quality of the few park tools I have....but they get the job done.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...--21-Tools.htm
Dang, that seems to be a pretty good deal. I bought a Sette bottom bracket tool and it works fine.
Old 04-27-08, 05:41 PM
MudPie

Originally Posted by goatalope
Then again, having Park tools gives you "street cred"... as the kids say.
Opening a bicycle tool kit and seeing a set of Park tools is like opening an automotive tool chest and seeing a complete set of Snap-On tools. It's a noble goal, but I wouldn't go into debt for it as a weekend mechanic.
Old 04-27-08, 06:05 PM
jhota
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, Park tools are "worth" the price. but as it's been stated, they are pro-level tools: the Snap-On comparison seems apt. Craftsman tools are fine for home use (mostly), but pros use Snap-On (or MAC, or Matco) because they function better and last longer. i will say that i'm not impressed with Park's screwdrivers, allen wrenches (hex keys) or combination wrenches. for the same money you can get much better.

i like my Snap-On tools, and i like my Park tools. but my Sette/Nashbar/whatever brand tools work fine, too.

i also agree with the buy what you need when you need it: tool sets, whether they're bike-specific or otherwise, tend to be "padded" with stuff you don't want or need to make them look better.

and as for "street cred," Park's got nothing on Campy:

i used to work with a guy who had a full Campy tool kit (including all the frame tools). man, that kit saved my butt more than once. someday, i'll have one. someday.
Old 04-27-08, 11:06 PM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^Wow thats so sexy....
Old 04-28-08, 05:18 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I see in your profile that you're 23 years old. I'm 53 myself. If I had bought the kit 30 years ago I'd have saved much more than $300 on repairs and the one-off tools I've bought. The question you need to ask yourself is this: Will I be doing more than adjusting cables, swapping chains and tightening parts? Will I be disassembling and assembling bikes?

The last frame I bought had an integrated headset, and I had the shop installl the mega-exo BB. Everything else I did myself, but I didn't need any special tools, mostly just allen wrenches and a chain tool. $300 is a lot for allen wrenches.
Old 04-28-08, 07:15 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
One thing I would definitely avoid is the type of "bike tool" sold at places like Harbor Freight. Nashbar/Performance house brand tools are mostly made by Lifu and are quite good.

Park is nearly always reliable but avoid their chrome plated double end cone wrenches. Get the black, single size, blue plastic coated version.

I agree that kits are cheaper only if you need nearly all of the included tools. Otherwise you will buy a bunch of unused items.
Old 04-28-08, 02:01 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HillRider, if I recall correctly the bike kit at Harbor Freight is (nearly) identical to the Lifu kits of a few years ago, and thus probably re-branded Lifu like the cheap Nashbar/Performance kits that are indeed pretty good.

Don't knock it just because Harbor Freight sells it; they sell some crap and some decent stuff.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-28-08, 05:12 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
HillRider, if I recall correctly the bike kit at Harbor Freight is (nearly) identical to the Lifu kits of a few years ago, and thus probably re-branded Lifu like the cheap Nashbar/Performance kits that are indeed pretty good.

Don't knock it just because Harbor Freight sells it; they sell some crap and some decent stuff.
Not a particular slam at Harbor Freight and I agree some of their products are a good value but the bike tools I've seen there recently were very crude looking. Perhaps they also sell a kit I didn't notice that is better quality.
Old 04-29-08, 10:20 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More likely my memory is faulty.

Now where was I?

- Will Rogers
Old 04-29-08, 10:32 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
buy good tools...or buy good tools as the less expensive ones break I have the nashbar $50 buck kit. Most of the tools work fine, but some like the chain breaker died really quickly. And then I found that I didn't have the cone wrench needed for my son's bms, etc. Looking back, buying a bigger, quality set of tools would have save me money in the last 2 years. All in all I've found that when i get better tools I have less damage to parts and me. The difference between a park spoke wrench and a shp brand was huge.

most important is that you are doing your own work and hopefully having fun
Old 04-29-08, 01:35 PM
pwyll99

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 1885 Veloce, 2003 Specialized Rockhopper, 2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50, 2006 Electra Ratrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the performance set and am happy with it. It was a good starting point.

My plan is that if I actually use it enough to wear tools out, then I'll replace them one at a time with Park tools.
Old 04-30-08, 02:04 PM
the scout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely not I have always been disappointed in Park tools eg cable cutter jaws not opening wide enough to facilitate standard Shimano brake cable outer. There are better options for both cost and effectivness.
Old 04-30-08, 04:13 PM
FLYcrash

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say that Park tools are just as hit-or-miss as anything...it's nice to be able to go on a tool-by-tool basis. If you read tool recommendations in Barnett's or browse reviews on mtbr, you'll see that some Park tools are loved and others are not so loved.

So I'd say skip the tool box and accumulate one-off tools on an as-needed basis. You probably won't need most of the things in that $300 set soon, if you ever need them at all.