Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Surly LHT

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 01:30 PM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly LHT

For those you that bought the Surly LHT, what would you recommend upgrading and what do you feel the weakness of the "complete" bike package is? I'm at a toss up between the Surly (leaning heavily toward this bike) or the Jamis Aurora. I'm 6'3" and around 280 pounds. I'm currently riding a miyata road bike, I love the bike except I'd like to do some touring and my gearing starting to go. Plus, I periodically break a spoke. This bike would be used for every day uses and commuting my 32 mile rt back and forth from work. Very interested in your input.
Old 04-29-08, 01:36 PM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since your in NE Ohio, you should talk to the guys at Century in Peninsula. They've built up quite a few Surly's for customers and are great to work with.
Old 04-29-08, 01:51 PM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dewaday
Since your in NE Ohio, you should talk to the guys at Century in Peninsula. They've built up quite a few Surly's for customers and are great to work with.
I have a bike shop right around the corner from me in Cortland, Ohio and they deal with Surly too. I'd rather give them the business. Thanks.
Old 04-29-08, 02:00 PM
quester
...into the blue...

Bikes: Thorn Nomad 2, LHT, Jamis Quest, ....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcii
For those you that bought the Surly LHT, what would you recommend upgrading and what do you feel the weakness of the "complete" bike package is? I'm at a toss up between the Surly (leaning heavily toward this bike) or the Jamis Aurora. I'm 6'3" and around 280 pounds. I'm currently riding a miyata road bike, I love the bike except I'd like to do some touring and my gearing starting to go. Plus, I periodically break a spoke. This bike would be used for every day uses and commuting my 32 mile rt back and forth from work. Very interested in your input.
I'm about your size and have had the complete since September, putting about 1500 miles on it.

I put on a brooks, cross brakes, a 24-tooth granny, and a hideously expensive new 48-spoke wheel. I intend to do the west coast later this year (w/ panniers), and just don't want to worry about it. It was all cheap, except for the wheel.

The only thing I'm not sure about at this point are the shifters. I *like* the friction-based shifters (my rear deraileur is always in friction mode), but it's a pain to continually take my hands off the bars to shift when going fast over rolling hills on weekend rides.

Overall, I love the bike. I don't even ride my road bike anymore, even when an extra mile or two per hour would help in keeping up.
Old 04-29-08, 02:12 PM
hchbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an LHT complete through my LBS. I asked them for 4 upgrades. 1. Brooks B17, 2. Koolstop brake pads, 3. A 24 tooth granny, and 4. pletcher double leg kick stand. The advise I was given is to get the complete bike and replace parts as needed. First impressions are that it is a good stable bike (unloaded, I haven't got the racks for it yet.) It's been quite a change going from riding 25mm tires to 37s. BTW I'm 6'2" - 180# riding the 62cm. I hope that helps.
Old 04-29-08, 02:16 PM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hchbiker
I just got an LHT complete through my LBS. I asked them for 4 upgrades. 1. Brooks B17, 2. Koolstop brake pads, 3. A 24 tooth granny, and 4. pletcher double leg kick stand. The advise I was given is to get the complete bike and replace parts as needed. First impressions are that it is a good stable bike (unloaded, I haven't got the racks for it yet.) It's been quite a change going from riding 25mm tires to 37s. BTW I'm 6'2" - 180# riding the 62cm. I hope that helps.
Are you looking at buying surly racks?
Old 04-29-08, 02:21 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12186 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,104 Posts
Front wheels are not usually a problem. You might want to replace the rear.
A shimano hub, 36 spokes and a Velocity Dyad rim will be tough enough.

You may want to replace the saddle, but first see if the one it comes with works for you.
Old 04-29-08, 06:37 PM
quester
...into the blue...

Bikes: Thorn Nomad 2, LHT, Jamis Quest, ....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2. Koolstop brake pads, 3. A 24 tooth granny, and 4. pletcher double leg kick stand.
Good points, I bought both of these as well. The Koolstop significantly improve the braking, though I can't seem to completely eliminate squeal on the front. The pletcher works well, but is heavy, and prevents use of my bike stand.
Old 04-29-08, 07:16 PM
hchbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm leaning toward tubus racks but I have not made up my mind.
From what I have read both Tubis and Surly racks are great although if you are watching your weight I believe the Surlys are heavier.
Old 04-30-08, 01:56 PM
mcahill844

Bikes: Too numerous to mention

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've seen Tubus does not have a front rack with a platform so comparing weight on the front racks is comparing apples to oranges.

The surly rear rack is about a pound heavier than the tubus cargo. What makes the Surly rear heavier is that it has more support behind the panniers and in the deck area.

I ended up going with the surly racks.
Old 05-01-08, 08:51 AM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS is talking me into the Jamis Aurora. He said, he wouldn't be able to get the Surly until August. Plus, he's willing to swap out my tires and put the 700 x 37s on the bike. With the Surly around 950-1000 for the complete bike, he'll give me the Jamis for $765. Any opinions?
Old 05-01-08, 09:03 AM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like Jamis bikes (I like Surlys, too). I don't have the Aurora, but I do have a Coda Comp. It's been a wonderful bike, and rides very smooth. Have you ridden the Aurora?

Both bikes are really good. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 05-01-08, 09:44 AM
jpmartineau

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those you that bought the Surly LHT, what would you recommend upgrading and what do you feel the weakness of the "complete" bike package is?
Funny, I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago. You can read the thread here and get a few answers.

I haven't had it long enough to give any useful advice, but I can say that I'm quite pleased with the bar-end shifters. I was afraid they'd be "dangerous" but even in inner city traffic, they're not a problem for me. They shift quite well, too.

I'd say that the weakest link I've found so far is the brakes, but I'll put on some Kool Stops as soon as I have time to get some. They do stop, but I'm used to disc brakes and going back to cantis takes some getting used to.
Old 05-01-08, 09:48 AM
jpmartineau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you looking at buying surly racks?
Funny thing, I asked that question as well in this thread. I ended up buying the Tubus Cargo because the Surly was both the more expensive and the heaviest. Not a winning combo in my opinion.

I haven't got the tubus rack yet - Wayne from TouringStore.com shipped it to me on monday - but I've only heard good things about it.
Old 05-01-08, 09:49 AM
jpmartineau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, do your arse a favor and change that awful saddle for something better, like a proper leather saddle. You know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-01-08, 10:12 AM
Fueled by Boh

Bikes: Cyclocross tourer, Redline Monofixie, Lemond Buenos Aires, surly KM, haro x3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the wheels are absolutely fine, no need to replace them. get them trued and tensioned and they wont give you any problems. I've ridden mine UP stairs with no issues, but i'm also the kind of mechanic that likes to build wheels when I get bored.
Old 05-01-08, 11:09 AM
blueskytheory
kingdom of tooth and claw

Bikes: 2008 blue surly LHT, 88 centurion ironman with some mods, old but beloved 01/02 trek 4900 alpha mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick question: when you order a complete Surly, can it be ordered without certain parts, thus giving you a discount? Or do you have to order the whole thing, and then pay extra for any swaps/upgrades? Does it depend on the bike store? (i'm in the sf bay area)

I too will be adding a b17 from another bike, but I also like touring on 25s, not 37s.
Old 05-01-08, 11:22 AM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe its up to your LBS to swap out parts. I now Surly just started offering the complete bikes not long ago. You used to just buy the frame and build up from there. Check with your lbs. Mine told me he couldn't get one till August.
Old 05-01-08, 12:18 PM
carkmouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced the saddle with a Brooks Flyer.

The bike is solid and is a sweet ride, my only gripe is with toe overlap issues on my 56cm frame with 700c wheels.
Old 05-01-08, 02:42 PM
bobdell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I have changed to Tektro linear brakes & levers, Albatross bar, Brooks B17, & wider 26" rims. Even with Koolstop pads, I was never happy with the canti brakes.