Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Dog walkers not bad enough?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 01:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts

Then try this on for size:

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/785665994.html

"Bike and dogs not included." You furnish the stupidity.

-Kurt

Old 08-06-08, 01:34 PM
lmxloco
Vine, vi, monte bicicleta

Bikes: 2005 Tomasso Imola Road bike, 2001 Ironhorse Outlaw hard tail, 2008 Motobecane Fantom Trail DS FS, 2009 GT Agressor with upgraded BB, brakes and F/R deraileurs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jesus...not only do they not have any way to reel in the dog for oncoming ANYTHING (cyclists, cars, whatever), that's just asking for an accident.

I mean, if you've got a dog that has enough size so that you aren't cycling at a snail's pace, then that dog has enough size so that if he decides to stop or change direction suddenly, you and you're bike are going to have a nice meeting with Mr. Pavement.

What an idiotic idea....truly idiotic.
Old 08-06-08, 01:34 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been working with my dog so she can run on a leader along side my bike. Of course, I won't take a contraption like that anywhere except the sidewalk around my neighbourhood, and I'd likely only encounter other people walking their dogs.
My dog likes to run, and I can't run with her. I think cycling with her is a great solution, except for her getting excited and trying to run in front of my bike. Sometimes she's not a very smart dog.
Old 08-06-08, 01:35 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Early last spring I encountered a cyclist on a hybrid walking his dog with its leash attached to a contraption that had a large spring on the back of his bike. Just odd. Being that they were riding through a busy parking lot I sure hope that dog never meets the wheel of a car.
Old 08-06-08, 01:36 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to see this lady who had a harness which held four huskies, and was tethered to a mountain bike - she mostly 'rode' on trails, and those dogs looked like they were having loads of fun!
Old 08-06-08, 01:40 PM
pwyll99

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 1885 Veloce, 2003 Specialized Rockhopper, 2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50, 2006 Electra Ratrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Years back, here is Portland I saw one guy who had a shelf attached to the right side of his bike by the back wheel wide enough so his dog could stand/sit on it. The supports created a cage of sorts to the sides. Anyway, he had his dog trained so that when the dog felt like running alongside he would jump off and trot alongside his owner for a while and then hop back onto his shelf on the bike.
While the dog was unleased, the dog was totally familiar with being around bikes and behaved in a predictable manner. And even though I saw this on a large group ride (Midsummer Night Bike tour before it became the Night Ride) I did not feel that the dog presented any hazard to other cyclists at all.
Old 08-06-08, 01:49 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going to be the voice of dissent and give the thumbs up to dogs leashed to bikes

It's probably great exercise for the dogs, and a good option for people who can't run alongside their dogs. I'm all for dogs getting out of the back yard and having a good time, and I wouldn't mind slowing down and being careful around such a group. Hey, I can spare 20 seconds.
Old 08-06-08, 02:05 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I'm going to be the voice of dissent and give the thumbs up to dogs leashed to bikes
I agree. I've tried running my dog like that, and it works great. She loves it, and it's more fun for me than running. Of course, I only do this in our sleepy little cul de sac and on the occasional dirt road, etc. It wouldn't be appropriate on busy streets or MUPs.

Az
Old 08-06-08, 02:06 PM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a man on the UA campus in Tucson (for all I know he's still around) who had one (or maybe two I forget) dogs he attached to a homebrew chariot type of thing, 2 wheels and 2 long pools connected to a harness/yoke type of thing. He sat low between the two wheels and they toed out significantly so the thing seemed incredibly stable. They seemed to have a ball hauling him all over campus and often were going quite fast. I'm planning on rigging up my own version, although my dog is smaller so I need a four wheeled variety I can hook him to.
Old 08-06-08, 02:10 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
There's a guy in a wheelchair who haunts Boston Common who flies kites. His wheelchair is motorized, and he can really scoot on that thing. He also has a tiny dog on a leash, and it's all that poor thing can do just to keep up. He practically gets pulled along by the neck. I feel bad for the little guy.
Old 08-06-08, 02:12 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lady here does that, but I haven't seen her have any troubles.
Old 08-06-08, 02:50 PM
nkuvu
Recumbent tricyclist

Bikes: Greenspeed GT5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike2math
There was a man on the UA campus in Tucson (for all I know he's still around) who had one (or maybe two I forget) dogs he attached to a homebrew chariot type of thing, 2 wheels and 2 long pools connected to a harness/yoke type of thing. He sat low between the two wheels and they toed out significantly so the thing seemed incredibly stable. They seemed to have a ball hauling him all over campus and often were going quite fast. I'm planning on rigging up my own version, although my dog is smaller so I need a four wheeled variety I can hook him to.
I've seen something similar -- but I saw someone on rollerblades being towed by his dog in a harness.

And the spring thing mentioned earlier in the thread... I think that's a commercial dog-walking product for bike riders.
Old 08-06-08, 05:46 PM
kellyjdrummer

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
That's just stupid.

Only in Miami.

Last edited by kellyjdrummer; 08-06-08 at 05:54 PM.

Old 08-06-08, 05:59 PM
nkuvu
Recumbent tricyclist

Bikes: Greenspeed GT5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick Google search later:
https://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm

That may not be the only source for it (another thread here on the forum referenced paying a lot less for the device) but it was the first hit from Google that matched what I was thinking of.
Old 08-06-08, 06:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
I'm only glad that I haven't run across someone using it yet, though some of the riders in the Gables area (the leisure folks, mainly - with no offense intended towards them) weave bad enough to be equally unpredictable.

P.S.: Would the second photo fall under the category of "taking the lane?"

-Kurt

Old 08-06-08, 07:07 PM
kellyjdrummer

If that's not a scam, I don't know what is.

Lawsuit just looking for a victim.

Old 08-06-08, 07:23 PM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I have never used such a gadget, y'all might want to keep a couple of things in mind: The gadget acts as a spring, to absorb any sudden actions by the pooch, and more importantly, a well-disciplined pooch will not stop suddenly or go off in its own direction. I can ride or walk our Malcolm with no leash at all, but the law requires it, and it is rigidly enforced in my town.

I do believe these springer gadgets are intended by the maker to be used with much shorter leashes, so the dog cannot turn toward the bike and cause a collision or entanglement.

During an internet search a while back, I found a scooter that is propelled by the pulling power of pooches, with brackets to which harnesses are attached. It is steered with bike-style handlebars. I found it interesting, as we have two Husky-Shepherd mixes who do like to pull.
Old 08-06-08, 07:28 PM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://dog-training.com/springer.htm

And, a better idea, IMHO:

https://dogpoweredscooter.com/
Old 08-06-08, 07:33 PM
kellyjdrummer

Looks like you can toss all your safety gear in the trash for the dog powered scooter. How cool.

Old 08-06-08, 07:34 PM
kellyjdrummer

I'm done. I'm off of this thread. Sorry to whine.

Old 08-06-08, 07:43 PM
Rex G

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kellyjdrummer
Looks like you can toss all your safety gear in the trash for the dog powered scooter. How cool.
That is a valid commentary, not whining. I would wear a helmet and gloves.
Old 08-06-08, 07:53 PM
desmo13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see those all the time, and thinking about getting one. Of course, usually seen with a shorter leash.

Both my dogs are trained to mtb with me. They know to stay away from the wheels (mine and others), and will stay behind me on command.

But if I take them around town, I usually clip their leash to my camel back. That way my bodies flexibility can absorb any misdirection on their part and not transmit it to the handlebars. I have seen enough of these springers to give it a try.
Old 08-06-08, 07:54 PM
grayloon

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing new here is the bar contraption. I've seen many a dog being walked or run by cyclists with the dog on leashes. The joker that got me, though, was the one who had dogs tied to his door handles of his car...that was when cars had door handles...as he drove down the middle of the street, ultimate laziness and disregard for animals.
Old 08-06-08, 08:31 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is eerie -- I encountered someone like this just this evening on the way home from work! First time EVER!

She had two larger dogs -- one, something like a black Lab, the other a pit; both were less than a year old, well-behaved.

I made a clever comment while approaching slowly from the rear, to let her know I was back there, and as she pulled off the MUP, we exchanged pleasant greetings.
Old 08-06-08, 08:52 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Most pet owners fail to maintain adequate (hardly any) control of their dogs on leash when walking; attaching them to a bike and then riding the bike on public property or roadways is just plain stupid. Dangerous to owner, pet and any unfortunate person who happens to cross their path.

I hate those darn reel-type leashes that seem to have a range of 25 feet. On 3 occasions I've found the entire 22 foot wide road blocked by an owner and pet on extended leash. Twice the owners (2 different people) were walking in the center of the road with dogs on each opposing curb or beyond, on extendable leashes. These incidents ocurred on MUP and residential roads where traffic speed normally exceeds the 25 mph posted limit.

I love dogs too - just not under my bike!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.