Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New rider - Didn't take long for this to happen

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New rider - Didn't take long for this to happen

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 11:22 PM
CAAD5AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty constant here, about every third ride I'd say. I'm not huge or anything, but enough of a presence that usually the wisecracks are followed by a gulp and a nervous wave when I make eye contact! It's also nearly always a pickup truck (which ironically I drive myself). The thing I don't understand is that there's a pretty finite number of workable routes in town and these idiots have to have easily passed a dozen other people in the past 10 minutes - makes me wonder if they talk sh*t to every single rider encounter! Seems like a lot of work to me.
Old 08-17-08, 11:31 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In the late 70's I moved to San Antonio from Colorado. I had no issues whatsoever in CO with the bike. My Texas experience as a commuter was much different. I rode in the city as well as outside the city limits, China Grove and adjacent communities. I wasn't harassed in the rural areas as much as in the city limits. I was surprised -- I hoped for acceptance overall, and expected hostility from the rural areas, and got the worst treatment within the city limits.

I moved from there in '80 and haven't been back. I hope you cyclists are enjoying good attitudes from cagers.
Old 08-17-08, 11:41 PM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite / 2016 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding now for a little over 2 months and haven't had it happen once (knock on wood). I typically ride the military bases out here in Pearl Harbor though so hopefully I'm dealing with a little more considerate breed of folks than the average Joe on the streets. My last couple of rides though I have ventured onto the city streets moving from one base to the other so I guess it's bound to happen sometime soon.
Old 08-17-08, 11:56 PM
Ai52487963
Rotationally Inert

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on where you live. People are pretty nice here in western Washington and I've only been yelled at maybe twice out of the 6th months I've been riding.

I think people are just getting hot under the collar about gas prices these days.
Old 08-18-08, 12:09 AM
cwilliams
I love my bike

Bikes: 09 Orbea Onix TDA in white, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was yelled at this past week by a passenger in an SUV. I was on a street labeled a bike route and had just made the left hand turn onto it starting to crank for the downhill descent when the "get on the sidewalk" ******* yells at me. This was my first such encounter and he got a **** you and the bird. Was hoping to catch up and have a brief convo, but the jerk decided to pull into a parking lot on the other side of the divider. Oh well. Had fun going down the hill at 35mph in a bit of a rage.
Old 08-18-08, 12:46 AM
Trickery

Bikes: Bianchi Equinox, Iron Horse triumph 5, Baracuda comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nd2PdlFstr
Carry confetti in a jersey pocket. Every time someone yells, toss a handful into the air in celebration. At least one of you will get a kick out of it.
oh man im excited to try this!
Old 08-18-08, 04:04 AM
heyguys
-_-

Bikes: 99 Specialized Allez - full ultegra SL, open pro/ultegra, fsa wing pro compact, selle smp stratos, cane creek s2, forte axis pro carbon fork, 3T pro stem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sometimes i get so amped up while im riding...I actually hope that a pedestrian has something to say so that I can get off my bike and create a bigger problem. this is the main reason I wear walkable shoes!!!!
Old 08-18-08, 06:48 AM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I don't flip off cars any more. I wasn't on my bike but I did that once. I was walking home from a theme party at school and got yelled at, gave them the finger and the three guys stopped and each took a turn punching me in the face. They showed me who was awesome...
Old 08-18-08, 06:51 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by mkauffman
Yeah I don't flip off cars any more. I wasn't on my bike but I did that once. I was walking home from a theme party at school and got yelled at, gave them the finger and the three guys stopped and each took a turn punching me in the face. They showed me who was awesome...
should have got their plate number tracked them down beat them nearly to death one at a time. Then, harass them the rest of their life. Or maybe just ignoring them is better.
Old 08-18-08, 10:08 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just smile and keep pedaling, live to ride another day.

Ride safe.
Old 08-18-08, 10:12 AM
permanentjaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you're a new rider I have to interject and recommend that from now on you just let it roll off your shoulder and not respond to anyone giving you beef while on a ride. Unless they stop to have an intelligent discussion with you about the laws and safety of riding on the road, then there is no good that can come from flipping the car off.
Old 08-18-08, 10:15 AM
dallasmike

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where in TX?
Old 08-18-08, 10:16 AM
making
Super Moderator

When I first started riding it really po'd me when people honked or flipped me off. Now I dont think I even notice them anymore. If they are a physical threat it is different. But to learn to truly ignore people is perhaps the best revenge possible. They are just doing it for the attention.
Old 08-18-08, 10:22 AM
Hask12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One adult giving another adult the finger seems pretty damn childish, and can only make an idiotic situation worse. Just ride the bike.
Old 08-18-08, 12:47 PM
ettsn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rarely get yelled at or stuff thrown at. My father has a little worse luck up where he rides (rural-ish TN). Lucky for him, the local police chief is a roadie in his cycling club. For bottle throwers and the like, Dad takes note of their tag number and tells his friend, who "visits" them in a black and white for a discussion. Usually involves something like a choice between going to jail right now for assault or an apology with an understanding that if he ever hears their name again, they won't want the trouble. Seems to clear things up one at a time.

If someone throws something at you, note the tag number and call the police. It's assault. Press charges. Way better than a gesture, and well within your legal rights.
Old 08-18-08, 12:52 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If you ride with your cell phone, just take it out, pretend you are punching a button, and then pretend you are reading his license number - and, he/she will bug out in a hurry, never to return.

If you have a picture phone, try to snap a pic or two, then pretend you are talking to the PD.
Old 08-18-08, 01:09 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call him in a drunk driver then laugh as you pass him while he's doing the line walk test with a trooper a few miles later.
Old 08-18-08, 01:15 PM
mikeclash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
99% of my riding takes place in the heart of Toronto. I rarely have problems. I'm cut off nearly every single ride, but as far as rude yelling or beer cans being thrown at me I have a good track record.In fact,
I've only been yelled at once while on a ride. I happened to be in the middle of nowhere, and a some degenerate in a nearly broken down truck yelled "get on the ******** sidewalk".
Old 08-18-08, 02:26 PM
pwyll99

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 1885 Veloce, 2003 Specialized Rockhopper, 2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50, 2006 Electra Ratrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a positive note, at least the abuse is a sign that they noticed you!
Old 08-18-08, 02:54 PM
palu
Goathead magnet

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by do-well
I can't really tell you how much you are going to experience road rage. Depends on the area of the country(and area of your city for that matter), and the occurrence of it is going to ebb and flow. Might have three experiences in one week, and then not another one for a number of weeks or months.

I used to flip people off a bunch. I even approached a driver or two. Not anymore. It's not my job to police society. It's not my job to react to these people. My job is to ride my bike and to stay safe.

If you want to react to people, go for it. If it makes you feel better, great. Just realize that any reactions can lead to consequences, including death.

I just try to enjoy my ride and let that other crap just float right on by. FWIW, such people are never going to change.
Good advice. I have never had someone confront me, but I'm sure it's bound to happen now that I'm out on the road more and more. I've had people yell at me on my motorcycle, but I usually just keep my cool and avoid any catastrophic situation. In the end, they are in a metal cage and you are sitting on a tiny metal frame. Nothing is worth your life, even if they are fully in the wrong.

However, I will say that I do carry a little can of pepper spray for dogs/wildlife, or pissed off motorists that choose to get out of their cars with a weapon or friends. I don't think I'll ever have to use it in that kind of a situation (if I keep my cool), but I guess you never know. There are some hot-heads out there.
Old 08-18-08, 02:57 PM
making
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pwyll99
On a positive note, at least the abuse is a sign that they noticed you!
I never thought of that. If they are abusing us at least they see us and tend not to run over us. Sweet.
Old 08-18-08, 02:58 PM
palu
Goathead magnet

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
If you ride with your cell phone, just take it out, pretend you are punching a button, and then pretend you are reading his license number - and, he/she will bug out in a hurry, never to return.

If you have a picture phone, try to snap a pic or two, then pretend you are talking to the PD.
This is pretty funny. You could just get one of those dummy phones on ebay for $5, so you can just leave it in your bike bag and not worry about dropping it.
Old 08-18-08, 05:06 PM
Onan

Bikes: Trek 400, Giant Sedona, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sommy
Thanks for the insight, and some good stories to go along as well.

I suppose I'm just going to have to live with it as long as nobody tries to run me into a tree or something. I'm considering carrying a little "protection" with me just in case. Nothing leathel, just something for a little more security. Do you all carry anything with you?

I do carry protection in my seat bag and did have occasion to use it on one ride. Some MFs passed me in a truck and screamed some BS out the window. I flipped them off and yelled FU! They pulled their truck over and started backing up to confront me. I stopped and got my protection out of my bag. Using my protection-- a big fat piece of my daughter's sidewalk chalk, I wrote their tag number in great big letters on the side of the road as the driver was getting out of the truck. We exchanged insults and I was outnumbered three to one. I kept saying, "Go ahead, do something". He thought twice about it and got back in the truck with his buddies.

I was pretty scared I was going to get my ass kicked, but I held my ground and kept coaxing him to bring it. He knew he'd be in jail that night if he laid a finger on me.

Onan
Old 08-18-08, 05:23 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't see why you would need to get upset.

Getting upset means you placed a VALUE on what this person said.

Don't put any value in comments of that nature and the next time you'll just smile back.
Old 08-18-08, 05:27 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not just repeatedly say "What?"

Pretend you don't hear them...

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"...

After the 3rd, they should have left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.