Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lubing Mavic Freehub Body With 3 In 1 Oil

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Lubing Mavic Freehub Body With 3 In 1 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 11:31 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I would like to second this suggestion. I have a set of SSC from 2004 and they still run smooth as the day I bought them. I use plain mineral oil purchased from the pharmacy at my local drug store. It is ubber cheap and works as described. Since there are only 2 pawls in the hub, they need to move as free as possiable and other oils as said may not let them do so. Use your own judgment for any other lube.
Old 02-13-13, 03:10 PM
bobn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is it in Mavic, Pedro's and Phil's that sets them apart?
Do they have their own refineries so their oils will be extra special? They don't make the oil, where do they get it from?
I think, just my opinion, that all this B S about oils is just that. BS.
3 in 1 is recommended for sewing machines fishing reels bicycles and other delicate machinery.
Automotive oils in the right viscosity don't gunk up your engine, why would they gunk up your bike?
Ask the old timers what they lubed their bikes with 40-50-60 years ago before all this speciality BS started.
If it makes you feel good to spend $$ on a couple of ounces of oil go ahead.
My opinion after 60 years BS BS BS
Old 02-13-13, 03:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by bobn
What is it in Mavic, Pedro's and Phil's that sets them apart?
Do they have their own refineries so their oils will be extra special? They don't make the oil, where do they get it from?
I think, just my opinion, that all this B S about oils is just that. BS.
3 in 1 is recommended for sewing machines fishing reels bicycles and other delicate machinery.
Automotive oils in the right viscosity don't gunk up your engine, why would they gunk up your bike?
Ask the old timers what they lubed their bikes with 40-50-60 years ago before all this speciality BS started.
If it makes you feel good to spend $$ on a couple of ounces of oil go ahead.
My opinion after 60 years BS BS BS
Oil is oil, just like beer is beer, and tomato sauce is tomato sauce.

The oil itself comes in a variety of a viscosities and film strengths, but the biggest differences are the additives. These include, a variety of detergents, tacking agents, anti-oxidents, acid neutralizers, and others to increase film strength, manage viscosity at high or low temps, and lastly, especially with many of the chain lubes sold for bike chains solvents to clean the chain and/or as vehicles to wick the lube in faster.

Of concern for Mavic, is that the oil is thin enough not to make the spring action of the pawls sluggish, but possibly of greater concern is that various additives might react with or damage O-rings and seals.

So yes, there's great latitude about what oil you can use, but there's great limitations also. Since nobody can list all the products you cannot use, they play it safe and list a few that you can.

It's ironic that people used to complain that there isn't enough documentation or warnings about potential problems, then when a manufacturer does the right thing and lists recommendations, people say "WTF, they're just trying to sell us their overpriced stuff, use anything you want"

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-21-17, 10:11 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good suggestions here, I am going try a can of sewing machine oil, it says "A high grade, light machine oil made of vacuum distilled mineral oils. Guaranteed free from vegetable oils. . . . It will not gum or clog . . ."

I watched a few youtube videos, they seemed to recommend Shimano hydrolic brake mineral oil. One guy said that a Mavic rep recommended it too him. Only bike shop open now (8 pm) is REI, they didn't have that, the bike mechanic said he wouldn't recommend that and I should bring my wheel down for him to examine. Why? Its doing exactly what those videos stated and I need to lubercate the free hub! I enjoy doing my own work, and often do a more caring job than some pipple faced 20 year old. Sometimes I screw it up, that's learning, but I have most of the tools. With all the videos out now for DIYs, its kind of a no brainer to DIY unless you don't have the time.

As far as FBinNY says, "beer is beer", I totally disagree. There are many types of beer: Stout, Ale, IPA, Pilsner, etc.

And I can't believe people chewing out someone for adding to a thread that as gone doormat. I had some one give me a hard time on a SpeedPlay pedal maintenance thread that had gone doormat. At least we searched first before just starting a new thread. I think replying to old threads is much better than starting a new thread!
Old 11-21-17, 10:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by phillman5

As far as FBinNY says, "beer is beer", I totally disagree. There are many types of beer: Stout, Ale, IPA, Pilsner, etc.
I doubt you'd disagree if you read or quoted the entire post. It was a response to someone who didn't see any difference, (see post above mine) and here's what followed:

The oil itself comes in a variety of a viscosities and film strengths, but the biggest differences are the additives. These include, a variety of detergents, tacking agents, anti-oxidents, acid neutralizers, and others to increase film strength, manage viscosity at high or low temps, and lastly, especially with many of the chain lubes sold for bike chains solvents to clean the chain and/or as vehicles to wick the lube in faster.

I used the beer and tomato sauce analogy in an ironic way, expecting that folks who have any knowledge of either know that the opposite is true. I'm not saying that it's all the same, but instead using the analogy to show that though things can be very similar, they can be very different at the same time. As I've said countless times here "the devil is in the details"

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-21-17 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 01:19 AM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I doubt you'd disagree if you read or quoted the entire post. It was a response to someone who didn't see any difference, (see post above mine) and here's what followed
Yes I have to agree, I just didn't put it all to together after reading the second part, and the person you quoted, that the one sentence was being sarcastic.

My apologies.
Old 11-22-17, 02:33 AM
FBinNY 

Yes I have to agree, I just didn't put it all to together after reading the second part, and the person you quoted, that the one sentence was being sarcastic.

My apologies.
Apology not accepted, because none was due.

Old 11-22-17, 08:48 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Bicycle oils are manufactured by the same people who make automotive fluids. Many people report that Shimano mineral oil is very close to Pentosin power steering fluid, of course, that stuff isn't cheap either.

The reality is that bike fluids probably have a slightly different mix of additives, but it will be small variations from a more common automotive R&D base. 99% of the time it won't matter, except in extreme conditions.
Old 11-23-17, 06:38 AM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any drug store carries Mineral Oil and it is cheap. I always keep some on hand for cutting blocks in the kitchen and many other uses not to mention a teaspoon keeps 'things moving' in a body...... heh, heh.
Old 11-26-17, 07:42 PM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well so far so good using the sewing machine oil I mentioned. But the main reason for this post is my though amazement at the small pawls that are near the center of the wheel, and they drive the wheel which has a vast mechanical advantage over the pawl. The teeth in the freehub that the pawls catch are but a mm or so high. I've ridden up 30% grades, only a short length, in a 34/27, I am about 210 (95 kg). The stress on these pawls and teeth must be tremendous.

I'd also like to tell anyone planning to attemp this lubercation my pawls pretty much stuck in thier location and the pawls have a pin to hold the tiny springs with a sort of T shaped end that keeps the springs from flying off. On reassembling you need to make sure the other end of the spring gets into the hole to hold them.

Last edited by phillman5; 12-03-17 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-26-17, 08:09 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by cascade168
freehub bushing
There's your problem. Mavic hubs are rubbish.
Old 11-29-17, 09:36 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
When it comes to oil, Francis knows of what he speaks....... MHO
Old 12-04-17, 12:18 AM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
There's your problem. Mavic hubs are rubbish.
From my limited experience I would have to agree. My Campy 11 speed hub is way older and I have not had to touch it, one year on this Mavic hub and its screaming bloody murder.

Originally Posted by Wanderer
When it comes to oil, Francis knows of what he speaks....... MHO
Who is Francis? I don't see him in the thread. Am I missing a joke?

Originally Posted by caloso
Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!
Kind of misplaced in this thread.
Old 12-04-17, 09:32 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

Who is Francis? I don't see him in the thread. Am I missing a joke?

FBinNY
Old 12-04-17, 06:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Philman knows not Marx nor Murray.
Old 06-16-19, 06:53 PM
AlanKHG

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Oil is oil, just like beer is beer, and tomato sauce is tomato sauce.

Of concern for Mavic, is that the oil is thin enough not to make the spring action of the pawls sluggish, but possibly of greater concern is that various additives might react with or damage O-rings and seals.

So yes, there's great latitude about what oil you can use, but there's great limitations also. Since nobody can list all the products you cannot use, they play it safe and list a few that you can.

It's ironic that people used to complain that there isn't enough documentation or warnings about potential problems, then when a manufacturer does the right thing and lists recommendations, people say "WTF, they're just trying to sell us their overpriced stuff, use anything you want"
So how's Chain-L for this job? Seems pretty similar in concept to Phil's tenacious.

(Also, I have 6 bikes and am still on the same bottle after the better part of a decade.)