Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Advise on which bike.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Advise on which bike.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 04:08 PM
kingkohlmn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advise on which bike.

I am looking for some guidance on my next purchase; I am looking at the Trek 1.2 or 1.5, Specialized Secteur comp apex, SPT C or Raleigh Revenio. I've been to three shops and the’re really all pretty much offer the same services. These bikes are all road bike, my intended use would be to ride to/from work a couple days a week, and longer rides on the weekends and eventually a century. I don't want to go into debt, my budget can be as high as $1,400, but I'd prefer spending less. Looking forward to hearing from the experts, hopefully people that have ridden these bikes and not store owners.
Old 12-01-12, 04:28 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I'd go with either the Revenio or the Secteur...

I hear that Apex is slightly better than 105...

However, I like Raleigh more than Specialized, as a company and brand.
Old 12-01-12, 06:14 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not a fan of skinny tires myself, but of the bunch, I'd opt for the Raleigh.
Old 12-01-12, 06:37 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
At 1400 you are on the cusp of a ti frame at Bikesdirect: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...elite_x_ti.htm

Quite frankly, if I were in the same situation, I'd get a used road bike in the $600-700 range (essentially a used version of the ones you show, or one step up). This way you can see if it suits you, and you can sell the bike for little to no loss if it is not your cup of tea.
If you find that you're not as into it as you had hoped, or long for another bike, you'd have to sell the new bike at a significant loss.
Old 12-01-12, 06:41 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
At 1400 you are on the cusp of a ti frame at Bikesdirect: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...elite_x_ti.htm

Quite frankly, if I were in the same situation, I'd get a used road bike in the $600-700 range (essentially a used version of the ones you show, or one step up). This way you can see if it suits you, and you can sell the bike for little to no loss if it is not your cup of tea.
If you find that you're not as into it as you had hoped, or long for another bike, you'd have to sell the new bike at a significant loss.
My questions for the OP connect directly to your suggestions:

1. Do you know how to work on your own bike? If not, avoid a BD buy unless your willing to either tinker and guess you might have it right, or pay a LBS to tweak it - which has its own consequences.

2. If you've answered no to 1, I wouldn't take my chances on knowing what may be the issue on a used bike because, frankly, people here are nicer than the average person on craigslist. In the years I've been around these forums, I've seen countless people post "great buys" they got on classifieds only to be mocked for not noticing what a bent fork is for that era bike, etc.

Ultimately, I'd go with the Raleigh because they seem to be more oriented toward commuters with their builds and I would say go ahead and build a relationship with the LBS near you over finding ways to work around them to save a buck.
Old 12-01-12, 11:34 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I'm still a fan of the Felt Z85. It's a pretty light all 105 component bike for $100 more than the Trek 1.5 MSRP. If you can find a last year's model or a sale, it's a bike that will last a lifetime. If you are willing to take a chance on internet bike, bikesdirect.com. They are having a sale right now and the prices on bikes are about $100 less. For $800 or so, you can get a nice bike. Your local LBS can put it together and check it out for a fee, probably $50-60.