Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best place to live (to cycle)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best place to live (to cycle)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 10:24 AM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SF isn't dreary nonstop, ok, but you're fooling yourself if you think that in the summer it's' the equivalent of the South Bay temps and sun a mere 20 minutes south. It's an impressive difference. Still better than East coast for sure for all-round riding, but significantly more sun and less fog. It's often a 20degree difference in the summer (winter actually narrows the gap between the two.)
Old 11-12-12, 12:49 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cookiemonsta
I think Holland counts as one of the best places to live as a cyclist. The primary reason for this would be safety.

The infrastructure as a whole is very cyclist friendly, with dedicated cycling paths, and never having to share the road with cars that go over 50 km/h. Also, because cycling is such a common and big thing, drivers learn to take them into account. The many cycling roads are well-maintained, and if you want to go somewhere by bike, there are usually a LOT of options to get there using primarily dedicated cycling roads/lanes.

The bad thing I guess is that Holland is almost completely flat. There are few hills over here, and many cyclists (myself included) travel to neighboring countries for this kind of an experience (for me, the nearest capital of a neighboring country is only 90 km away, the border only 40).

The sights are less impressive than some countries I have been in, but overall, in my opinion, still pretty good. Cities are relatively small, so even if you live in them, it usually takes only 15 minutes or so to get out into a nicer cycling area.
Holland may be great for people use bikes as transportation, but not cyclists who think it's a sport and has to be done in the right attire.
Old 11-12-12, 12:51 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by neo****zy
Irvine, California (or anywhere in Orange County actually)

- Great schools
- Tons of businesses
- Voted the safest city in the USA for several years
- Dedicated bike paths and tons of bike lanes
- Mountain biking trails
- Quiet neighborhood
- Can't beat the SoCal weather!

I lived in Irvine for over 20 years and can't imagine being anywhere else.
Down side: smog, santa ana wind, ahole drivers with big cadillac SUVs.
Old 11-12-12, 02:56 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Still beats nearly the rest of the entire country of year-round riding.
Old 11-12-12, 03:41 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am sure OC is better, but back when I lived on the west side, it's such a drag to ride. You can't roll out of the door because all the traffic you have to navigate to really start your ride, and it takes forever to drive to any meeting/starting place for the ride. It wasn't bad on the west side, better it was really bad for some the rides when I go east to Pasadena or into the valley.

Where I am now, Norther VA, is not that bad for 4-season riding. It gets down the 20s briefly for a week or so in the winter, and it may snow a bit here and there; otherwise, it pretty much gets to high 30s in the winter and it's never a problem for me to ride. I would say I may have to do the roller 2 weeks average during the winter. I am on the road otherwise.
Old 11-12-12, 03:43 PM
NaBlade
Dammit!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
I could bike, ski, sail in Vancouver on the same day.
When I first moved to Vancouver 20 years ago, I heard a similar expression, "Vancouver is one of a handful of places on earth where you can fish in the morning, golf in the afternoon and ski in the evening." Made me smile, because it's true.
Old 11-12-12, 04:10 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by c0lnago
Yeah...grey...miserable...was like this yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and the day before, and the day before..................
I lived in SF for two years.

You'd start off with a crystal clear day like this, them around 10 or 11 the fog would drift in, and by 2PM it would be fogged over.

Paradoxically, September and October were the nicest months. The weather sucked for the rest of the year.

Crap, I remember moving on the Presidio in July and not seeing the sun at all for three weeks until we took the kids to the Happy Hollow Kiddie Park in San Jose (wonder if that place is still open?).

And 56 degree weather in the middle of July? No thanks.

Old 11-12-12, 04:49 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am sure OC is better, but back when I lived on the west side, it's such a drag to ride. You can't roll out of the door because all the traffic you have to navigate to really start your ride, and it takes forever to drive to any meeting/starting place for the ride. It wasn't bad on the west side, better it was really bad for some the rides when I go east to Pasadena or into the valley.

Where I am now, Norther VA, is not that bad for 4-season riding. It gets down the 20s briefly for a week or so in the winter, and it may snow a bit here and there; otherwise, it pretty much gets to high 30s in the winter and it's never a problem for me to ride. I would say I may have to do the roller 2 weeks average during the winter. I am on the road otherwise.
The westside is def a drag to ride in unless you go off hours.

That said, the LaGrange bike group starts at around 7AM, and usually does a daily hammerfest bike ride from 60-90 minutes completely in the westside and/or venice, 5 days per week, and has weekend long rides up the PCH. So it's eminently rideable, even for competitive roadies, as long as you're ready to do it either early or late.

I still have no doubt that it's far more convenient to go out the door in Northern VA at all times of the day, though. Especially if it's not snowing. It's however nearly impossible to be that Socal sun in Dec-March. I loved doing epic PCH rides through the Santa Monica mountains where it was usually 50-60F in the dead of winter and sunny. Crazy stuff.
Old 11-12-12, 05:06 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Irvine is great for cycling. Every street has a bike lane and most are wide enough to ride two side by side. Santa Ana winds are only a few times a year and the smog isn't all that bad in OC, especially in Irvine or Newport Beach. I think Ventura County would have more open land but Irvine is very nice.
Old 11-12-12, 05:17 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dunedin or Christchurch (if you're not adverse to the occassional shake) on the South Island of New Zealand.
Old 11-12-12, 06:24 PM
c0lnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
SF isn't dreary nonstop, ok, but you're fooling yourself if you think that in the summer it's' the equivalent of the South Bay temps and sun a mere 20 minutes south. It's an impressive difference. Still better than East coast for sure for all-round riding, but significantly more sun and less fog. It's often a 20degree difference in the summer (winter actually narrows the gap between the two.)
If you're trying to say that it's 20 degrees warmer in the summer then you're right and I'd much rather ride here in the 70s than south bay in the 90s.
Old 11-12-12, 06:27 PM
c0lnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack

You'd start off with a crystal clear day like this, them around 10 or 11 the fog would drift in, and by 2PM it would be fogged over.

Paradoxically, September and October were the nicest months. The weather sucked for the rest of the year.

Crap, I remember moving on the Presidio in July and not seeing the sun at all for three weeks until we took the kids to the Happy Hollow Kiddie Park in San Jose (wonder if that place is still open?).

Totally depends where you live in the city. I get none of that. Presidio/Sunset, different story. Sounds like you chose poorly.
Old 11-12-12, 06:38 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're trying to say that it's 20 degrees warmer in the summer then you're right and I'd much rather ride here in the 70s than south bay in the 90s.
Rarely 90s down here. On sat mornings, prime time cycling time during summer, it's never 90s - always 60s-75s - perfect.
Old 11-12-12, 07:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Santa Barbara.

I from N County SD which is pretty nice but SB is the bee's knees.
Old 11-12-12, 07:33 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traverse City Michigan meets those criteria. Well MTB stuff lacks a bit, its getting better, but the road stuff is absolutely amazing The city is decently large so there are jobs and stuff to do.

Im sure ill be back in the next 5 years for good. Lived there for 6 years and got spoiled on the riding.
Old 11-12-12, 07:37 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Totally depends where you live in the city. I get none of that. Presidio/Sunset, different story. Sounds like you chose poorly.
Doesn't really matter what the SF city microclimate is anyway. The best riding is outside the city anyway, where you're mostly clear of those microclimates. GOod place to live, not as good place to do bike training right outside your door. (Fortunately the good rides are close.)
Old 11-12-12, 09:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I cycle all year long in Southern California but I do ride a little less in the hottest months of the summer. I like it a lot.
I was used to covering 8000-10000 km from about March to about October, and then taking it a bit easier through November, December, January, and February. During those months, I'd switch to other sports like spinning classes, weightlifting, skiing, snowshoeing, yoga, etc, and might only cover 1000 km for the 4 months.

When I moved to Australia, I struggled with two things:

On the one hand, I felt like I should ride 8000-10000 km during the spring, summer, and autumn, and then continue that pace in the winter because it was still nice out ... which would have put me at 12000-15000 km for the year, and could have put me into a burnout situation.

On the other hand, where in Canada I was highly motivated to ride on every single day that was reasonable good because I knew winter was coming, when I got to Australia every day was a reasonably good day for riding, and I found myself less motivated ... tomorrow will be good too, I'll ride then instead.

So I was sort of caught between those two, and kind of struggled with balance.
Old 11-13-12, 04:09 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holland may be great for people use bikes as transportation, but not cyclists who think it's a sport and has to be done in the right attire.
Yes, this is actually very true. I mean, I would say it is good for both, but practically everyone here owns and uses a bike. If you live in the city and want to go from one place to the next, the bike is usually a much faster option than the car. In fact, if people would take a car the whole city would be congested. Pretty much all kids take the bike to school and a Canadian friend recently pointed out to me "people here are so comfortable on their bikes eej?" when he saw a lady with a kid in the front and back of the bike, which is actually very common (transporting kids on bikes). I think the major reasons people use their bikes so much is because of the safety and infrastructure, but also like you said, because Holland is flat.
Old 11-13-12, 02:26 PM
terrier

Bikes: Ciocc road, Felt RXC Pro MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of great places to ride and live. Is there a single best place? I'm doubtful so I'll do what lots of others are doing and promote my home town of Denver. A few idiots notwithstanding, the bike culture is great. The city is networked with a ton of MUP's as well as bike lanes on a variety of roads. For example, I can ride from Denver to Golden on 32nd Ave. and it's about a 12 mile ride one way. Or, I can choose to take the Platte River Trail to the Clear Creek trail and it's a little over 20 miles one way. I also have a variety of elevations, climbs and descents to choose from. Some are in the foothills near Golden but if I want to stay close to home I have some nice long hills in my neighborhood for training. There will be a few weeks out of the year when the weather is simply too bad for cycling but I'm guessing you'll have that anywhere. On the other hand, I can expect well over 300 days of sunshine every year and a nice, arid climate. I like to work up a sweat though and there are months in Denver where that's not easy (November through February). Otherwise, it's pretty much ideal. My favorite time of the year to ride is in the worst heat of the summer. I start out a bit after dawn when it's probably in the high 70's and a two hour ride will have me home well before it hits the mid-90's. Traffic can be heavy but it's mostly confined to the highways and larger main arteries.

I don't mountain bike much anymore. In fact, I outfitted my MTB as a commuter. But, less than a half hour away there are fantastic trails in Golden Gate Canyon and some are alternate day trails, where cyclists are allowed on even days and hikers on odd days. On those even days, the only thing you have to worry about running into are horses.

If I really want to be adventurous, the high country is less than 45 minutes from my front door. Mount Evans, Rocky Mountain National Park and all sorts of ski towns are within 45 minutes to three hours away. And two of the most scenic road bike rides in the lower 48 are less than a day's drive away in northwestern Wyoming. But honestly, I'm hardly ever tempted to drive my bike to a scenic spot when the rides in and around Denver are so nice. This place is heaven.
Old 12-02-12, 11:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Off the beaten path... Kelowna, BC.
Or perhaps Kamloops.
Old 12-02-12, 11:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by robabeatle
<s>Tucson</s>

Nevermind no real cycling here.
Originally Posted by fstshrk
How about Tucson, AZ?

We just came through the Tucson area yesterday. I was curious to see it (again, I think I was there when I was quite young) because it does come up on these lists. Yesterday was December 1, but the weather was quite warm and sunny in both Tucson and Phoenix. So for a start, this area would probably be nice to visit when other parts of NA are covered in snow and cold. Just out of Tucson, the roads were a little narrower than what I'm used to and what I like given the amount of traffic, but there were share the road signs everywhere. And there would be a variety of flat and hilly terrain.

Were any of you Tucson riders out yesterday? We saw quite a few cyclists.
Old 12-02-12, 11:50 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack

I currently live on the East Bay, just a stone's throw from San Francisco. Practically everyday is just perfect for cycling, or anything else you'd like to do outdoors. It's almost never too hot or too cold. Since I'm originally from Ohio, I know very well what too cold is like!

Most summer days are filled with sunshine and warm (not hot) temperatures. Most winter days are cool in the mornings, but sunshiny and warm during the day..

When you sum it all up,

... the entire Bay Area is just a really all 'round cool place to live!

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-02-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-02-12, 11:59 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Um, the Army chose for me. But I couldn't beat the price, and the view of Golden Gate Park was fantastic.

Old 12-02-12, 09:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by robabeatle
<s>Tucson</s>

Nevermind no real cycling here.
Originally Posted by fstshrk
How about Tucson, AZ?
Originally Posted by Machka
We just came through the Tucson area yesterday. I was curious to see it (again, I think I was there when I was quite young) because it does come up on these lists. Yesterday was December 1, but the weather was quite warm and sunny in both Tucson and Phoenix. So for a start, this area would probably be nice to visit when other parts of NA are covered in snow and cold. Just out of Tucson, the roads were a little narrower than what I'm used to and what I like given the amount of traffic, but there were share the road signs everywhere. And there would be a variety of flat and hilly terrain.

Were any of you Tucson riders out yesterday? We saw quite a few cyclists.

And what about Phoenix? We've spent a little bit of time in the Phoenix area (or more specifically, Glendale), and it seems really nice. Is Phoenix a nice place for cycling?
Old 12-02-12, 09:42 PM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
And what about Phoenix? We've spent a little bit of time in the Phoenix area (or more specifically, Glendale), and it seems really nice. Is Phoenix a nice place for cycling?
Speaking as a former resident of Tucson for 9 years, the problem with Phoenix is that it sucks in general. Think LA with no ocean and 30+ degrees warmer. Tucson has it beat in every way except for availability of high-end shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.