Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I get some help with this bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-18-19, 09:07 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts

First IDGAF about "oh it's a ancient bso" and other drivel. I can work magic on these and get them to be decent, capable machines for at the very least a daily or sometimey ride.
I came across a Murray Koza or Kozo and it is interesting for a most likely cheap BSO and wondering if anybody knows anything about them? It's weird to me because it has an ashtabula crank, but it's 21 speeds, aluminum wheels, trigger shifters and internal cable routing. Never seen such in this class of bike and can't find anything about it online.

I'm building it up for my g/f and it needs the general crap; trigger shifters, which I have, new calipers, grips, levers.
Old 12-18-19, 10:08 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
No need to cuss.

Never heard of it and can't find anything online either.

A lot of inexpensive bikes came with Ashtabula cranks and alloy wheels although the spokes are usually not stainless and will rust after much exposure to the elements. If properly set up and adjusted most bikes can be good for casual rides or short distance rides.

What kind of brake calipers does this bike have - cantilever or V-brake of other?

Cheers
Old 12-18-19, 10:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Nothing found here, either. The parts you're seeing on it might not be original equipment. Someone might already have worked magic on it.
Old 12-19-19, 12:34 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
No need to cuss.

Never heard of it and can't find anything online either.

A lot of inexpensive bikes came with Ashtabula cranks and alloy wheels although the spokes are usually not stainless and will rust after much exposure to the elements. If properly set up and adjusted most bikes can be good for casual rides or short distance rides.

What kind of brake calipers does this bike have - cantilever or V-brake of other?

Cheers
Has side pulls typical of these bikes. All it'll see with her is casual rides.
Old 12-19-19, 06:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I can work magic on these and get them to be decent, capable machines
I imagine the gf deserves/expects that! IIRC, some Murrays were built in TN.
Old 12-19-19, 08:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Do you have a serial number? Might be able to narrow it down.

Can you explain why you seem to be sure only of the first three letters of the model name? I ask just because that could be a clue.

There's an old bike store in Chicago called Kozy's. Is it possible it was some sort of special label deal with them? Murray did a lot of stuff with different badges.

Pics?
Old 12-19-19, 08:34 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Is it possible that the sticker/decal on the bike has been altered to look like Kozo or Koza? Murray made the Baja, probably made a bazillion of them, so the odds are it's one of those.
Old 12-20-19, 10:52 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What is your objective? Is it a hobby for you or is it a gift for the girl friend?

One piece crank. That by itself says "cheap bike" to me. It sounds to me like you're trying to convert a cheap old bike into an expensive old bike that has a few new replacement parts. If that's how you choose to spend your time that's one thing but, I'd think the same amount of money would buy a more impressive present for the GF.
Old 12-20-19, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What is your objective? Is it a hobby for you or is it a gift for the girl friend?

One piece crank. That by itself says "cheap bike" to me. It sounds to me like you're trying to convert a cheap old bike into an expensive old bike that has a few new replacement parts. If that's how you choose to spend your time that's one thing but, I'd think the same amount of money would buy a more impressive present for the GF.
OP made very clear that he wasn't interested in anyone's opinion of the bike or the project.

You're seriously off-topic just to start an argument.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-20-19, 02:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

OP may as well ask for the thread to be closed. Apparently nobody has any info (whatever it might be) about that particular Murray. The whole BSO issue is the elephant in the corner, just waiting to squat down on this thread. Or just wait and see....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-20-19, 06:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

OP has enough posts to upload a photo or two, if he's serious about getting some help.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-20-19, 06:42 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

The only pic I took of it before I started wrapping it with tape. I forgot it was a Huffy, not a Murray, it's put up until I can make workspace for it.
Old 12-20-19, 06:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Is that one of the titanium Huffy's, built by Litespeed?
Old 12-20-19, 06:57 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

It's a hobby, it's a gift for her, she likes the bike. I'm not investing hundreds of dollars in to it, new low end parts will be just fine, no need for Acera or even Tourney. In fact I already have some parts in my stash. Ashstabula cranks do indeed scream cheap or basic bike and like I said, she's fine with the bike and is aware of what I can do with a bike. She wants to ride bikes with me, and it's getting her back on two wheels- her two wheels versus the trek she has been riding that belongs to my friend(I gave to him). She's not shallow or elitist, niether am I. For the cost to be invested(probably tens of dollars), there isn't much more I could get her... maybe a snapback from Spencers. She's not going to be all Premium Rush with it, nor is she taking it on black diamond mtb trails. Think of it as a geared cruiser that might see 10mph. This bike is for a bike rider, not a cyclist.
Old 12-20-19, 07:00 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Is that one of the titanium Huffy's, built by Litespeed?
At about 35lbs and surface rust... no.
Old 12-20-19, 07:34 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
It's worse than I expected .
Seriously, I don't know about that particular bike, but I've seen and worked on a lot of similar bikes - 1 piece cranks, 7sp freewheels, cheap alloy rims - but usually with 1 chainring and cheap V-brakes. Nothing wrong with them as long as you don't use them much. If you ride them 1 or 2 times a week to the grocery store, they are OK.
Old 12-20-19, 08:07 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts

The only pic I took of it before I started wrapping it with tape. I forgot it was a Huffy, not a Murray, it's put up until I can make workspace for it.
It's a generic piece of crap Huffy.

Now - don't get me wrong, I commend you for making a usable bike for your GF. But it's got a one inch steerer tube, super long reach caliper brakes, a one piece crank, no derailleur hanger built into the frame. There's nothing proprietary here, anything can be replaced with generic components. I do find the internal cable routing interesting, and it's a plus that the bike has aluminum rims.

There was a brief time in the early 80s with America's first international successes in bicycle racing where Serotta made some frames that were badged as Huffys for team 7-11. This isn't one of them.

So I really don't understand your question(s) in your OP. Unless you're trying to restore the bike to it's period-correct OEM specs, additional details aren't really going to tell you anything you need to know to get this bike running.
Old 12-20-19, 08:10 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
And make sure you know what you're doing before you pull that cable housing out of the frame!
Old 12-21-19, 07:46 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

I came across a Murray Koza or Kozo and...
Huffy does not equal Murray.
Old 12-21-19, 11:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What do the tires look like? Do they have cracks or dry rot? I'm betting the size is 26 X 1 3/8. There is a common 26 X 1 3/8 size and a few other, hard to find, 26 X 1 3/8 sizes. The bead seat diameters don't mix and match.

I can see why the GF likes the bike, I like the colors too.
Old 12-21-19, 04:13 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Jax, if you're going to rework that thing, please replace the brakes. Those stamped-sheetmetal calipers scare the daylights out of me. I'd be afraid of them folding up in a panic stop.

Other than that, yeah, it's pretty low grade ... one dead giveaway is the stamped sheetmetal rear dropouts, probably resistance-welded into the stays. And what on Earth is that front hub?

Anyway, good luck.
Old 12-21-19, 06:22 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
That is the most cheaply-made frame I have ever seen in my life. As a working bike it wouldn't be worth one hour of the minimum wage.

I don't understand why anyone would save that, over a better scrap bike. There are no brake mounts on it, it can't take welding as it's cheap heat-treated steel, so it can't accept good brakes.

Last edited by MikeyMK; 12-21-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-21-19, 08:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I haven't spent a lot of time working on BSOs but the time I did spend was less than satisfying. It's just no fun to work on junk. What makes this sort of thread even more perplexing is our CL has lots of legit hybrids and HT MTBs and they are cheap. Often under $100!
Old 12-21-19, 09:22 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
It's a generic piece of crap Huffy.

Now - don't get me wrong, I commend you for making a usable bike for your GF. But it's got a one inch steerer tube, super long reach caliper brakes, a one piece crank, no derailleur hanger built into the frame. There's nothing proprietary here, anything can be replaced with generic components. I do find the internal cable routing interesting, and it's a plus that the bike has aluminum rims.

There was a brief time in the early 80s with America's first international successes in bicycle racing where Serotta made some frames that were badged as Huffys for team 7-11. This isn't one of them.

So I really don't understand your question(s) in your OP. Unless you're trying to restore the bike to it's period-correct OEM specs, additional details aren't really going to tell you anything you need to know to get this bike running.
I thought the cable routing was odd for the kinda bike it is. Not a resto, I just like to research the bikes I get, to determin year and whatnot, but I can't find anything on it.
Old 12-21-19, 09:34 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by rollagain
Jax, if you're going to rework that thing, please replace the brakes. Those stamped-sheetmetal calipers scare the daylights out of me. I'd be afraid of them folding up in a panic stop.

Other than that, yeah, it's pretty low grade ... one dead giveaway is the stamped sheetmetal rear dropouts, probably resistance-welded into the stays. And what on Earth is that front hub?

Anyway, good luck.
Oh I know. Whenever I upgrade these type of bikes, the stamped steel speed reducers are first to go. Usually I get a pair of calipers off a walmart bmx bike and the levers if not plastic. The brakes on those hypers and whatnot are forged.

Second is alloy wheels- which it already has.

Non knobby tires- which it has

Ditching the gripshifts(which it doesn't have) for either thumbies or trigger shifters.

Replacing RD with one of those black shimano ones you find on walmart bikes, or just something I know will adjust and shift.

That's pretty much it. Not much effort or money. I have on one instance swapped a fork on one with a fork with vbrake/canti mounts. I already had the fork.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.