Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2020 Randonnees

Old 01-08-20, 12:59 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My 2020 plan is to earn another RUSA cup. I just finished one, my second, in August or so, so I'm basically starting from zero. Probably the NJ Randonneurs SR series, PA Flèche, uncertain which populaire, 1000 and 1200. Whatever they are, they'll be as local as possible.

I am planning to volunteer for NY-M-NY and do the pre-ride for that. I would like to do LOL (again), especially as a 1200 for a change, but Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees the NY-M-NY pre-ride will coincide with LOL. So I dunno.

​​​​​​And then there's this whole travel thing.

(You probably want to stop reading here... But I'll go on.)

For about ten years now, I've been telling myself (and anyone ever who'll listen) that I don't fly, won't fly, the last time I flew is going to remain the last time. It's not that I'm afraid of flying; it doesn't scare me any more than riding a bike, and a good deal less than driving in a car. And its not that I can't afford it. On the contrary, my reasoning is entirely based on environmental ethics. And in theory this applies to driving as well. So for several years I wouldn't to brevets unless I could carpool or ride to the start. The fact that didn't own a car helped; I rented one as needed, or borrowed my wife's, always pretty reluctantly.

Well, it hasn't worked out to my satisfaction. First I found myself a lot less reluctant about borrowing my wife's car than intended. Then I was taking it just for myself, driving as far as Ontario NY for LOL and so on, all by myself.

And then my mother became ill and couldn't drive, and it seemed my daughter needed a car for work, so I took Mom's car.... then Mom died and my daughter didn't get the job and so now I have a car. And now my father is moving to Germany to be closer to other family (other than me, that is). And when he gets on the plane, in a few weeks, his car becomes... you guessed it: mine. Lucky me.

Okay, I'm not complaining about the cars, I will sell them. My daughter will probably take one.

But with my father moving to Germany, it's going to be even harder to maintain the resolution not to fly. And once that's gone, I'm going to start finding things like LEL and PBP very tempting.

I do like big fat cushy tires, but roads paved with good intentions turn out to be pretty smooth no matter how we ride them....
Old 01-08-20, 03:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
So you're a car collector now Rudi, nice. Did you pick out a 1000k? I haven't looked yet. Okay, other than LOL, which is a truncated 1200, Hamid has the only 1000k on our side of the country.
Old 01-08-20, 04:37 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
7-8 hour drive to get to Ottawa for the Coureur de Bois 1000, it happens on July 4 so hopefully hotels won't be booked solid since Canada Day will have passed. AFAIK it's totally unsupported so you can book your hotels and stuff. That does mean the ride fee is only the OCA insurance fee, which is 40$C. There's plenty of towns and services along the route.
Old 01-10-20, 09:36 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I've got to do a far amount of traveling to get to a brevet. The last one I attended, we ended up riding the first 65 miles against the wind and downwards to 20°F. Ended up only going 100 miles in and turning back when my sciatic pain got out of control and the wind amped up to 15-20 mph. Not fun. Took me a couple months to get the back straightened out with PT, stretches and adding back the core exercises. So I'm calling BS on the cold weather stuff and my riding schedule will be adjusted accordingly. Looking at the Nebraska Sandhills Brevet Tour in June, as that should be a good one. All others will be as desired.
Old 01-11-20, 08:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
@rhm, that's my conundrum as well. Since 2009 or so, I've aspired to replace driven miles with cycling miles as much as possible, so it feels weird* to drive to bike rides. In my case, the closest brevets are a two-hour drive from my house. A local bike shop has talked about starting a brevet series, which would be cool beyond words, but nothing has come of it yet.

* I would say "wrong" but this probably isn't the right forum for it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-13-20, 05:30 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Finished a 200k this weekend. The local Pink Ride, where ladies get to ride for free (Audax Randonneurs Malaysia pays for their homologation) is a very popular annual event and this year we have over 800+ registered riders. Very merry event, though I did not get to see much of it because I had different training targets in mind. I had set out to get a sub-8h time (well, at first I was aiming for 7h but that's wishful thinking, at best). Strategy was minimize stops, all on-bike nutrition with Hammer Perpetuem, managed to complete in 7h 31m. Legs are still feeling like jelly today, lol.

We had very nice weather during the ride. It's been pretty hot these couple of weeks but the weather was on our side with cool overcast mornings and a bit of scattered rain later. The course wasn't particularly challenging - some rolling terrain for the first 100km or so, then about 70km of pancake flat, then back to rolling afterwards. No hills to climb this time around. Some highlights:
- finally managed to get a video of chasing dogs, lol
- controle #2 had free bananas! I know I said minimize stops and rely on on-bike nutrition... but FREE BANANAS!!
- for the last 50km I made the mistake of trying to hang on to a fast rider on a Cervelo P5. Ironman material by the looks of him. We were going like 35-40kmh, with people slowly being spat out the back one-by-one. I was third last to get spat out within the last 20km of the ride, and after that my legs were just jelly weak. Resorted to an energy gel to keep going.

Here's my ride video of the event:
https://tinyurl.com/t63t272
Likes For atwl77:
Old 02-02-20, 07:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I signed up for the Iron Porcupine. 35th on the waiting list for NY-Montreal-NY, so that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.
Old 02-03-20, 10:12 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm signed up for the Iron Porcupine too. May do the pre-ride and volunteer for the event. I'll just have to see how that goes.
Old 02-03-20, 11:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Seems like I talked RHM into riding as well
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-03-20, 08:36 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

I've got a Super Randonnee coming up in less than two weeks, but I've still got a lingering cough from a cold I caught shortly after last month's BRM200, which is kind of bad timing as my training has been somewhat impacted by it. I've also just received a set of Profile Design Sonic 35a aerobars that I ordered from Amazon. Hoping to be fully recovered by the weekend so that I can go ride outside and give these bars a test, as well as get a bit of training in, before the Super Randonnee.
Old 02-07-20, 11:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I'm in the porcupine as well. I have a bit of work to do.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-16-20, 09:09 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Finished my Super Randonnée, in 50h 24m. Absolutely brutal ride, toughest I've done so far with extreme heat during the day and then as low as a 10°C descent with nothing more than a rain jacket to block the wind. I'm home but haven't gotten anything unpacked or organized yet... dirty clothes still in saddle bag, haven't uploaded to Strava (seems to be having some issues now), just jumped into the shower the moment I got back and then had a very, very long nap. I'll make a proper ride report later, but for now I'm very hungry!
Likes For atwl77:
Old 02-17-20, 06:20 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Ok, wow, where do I start...

It was about 2.5-3 hours drive to the starting point so I had to try and sleep early (emphasis on "try"), wake up early and start driving by 2:30am on the Friday of February 14... therefore "abandoning" the wife and also starting out already lacking in sleep.

We have a short 5km flat start before the big climb. 60km uphill and about 1400m to the first checkpoint, then an equally long and fast downhill. After this, there are practically no flats; its hilly all the way. Weather was initially good at the beginning, with plenty of cloud cover to shield us from the sun, but later in the afternoon all that cover was gone and the heat from the road could probably cook an egg. This slowed us down significantly; I remember from a previous ride it only took 9.5 hours to reach the 160km mark but this time we took 11 hours to reach the second checkpoint.

After a bit of screwing around at the KFC checkpoint (we originally indended to just stop-and-go... but some people decided to add a snack, which became a snack-and-drink, which became a dinner meal...), we eventually made our way to the next 140km of the route. It should have been a pleasant ride since by this time the sun was going down and it would become pretty cool soon... but the 200-300km sections of the route we piss poor and riddled with potholes and other nasty nuggets - some would even be a hazard to a car. This meant slow and careful descending, which didn't prevent one of our group from hitting a hole and getting a puncture as a result.

We reached the halfway point somewhere around 3am (actually 2:39am, but after that some confusion and rerouting to get to a hotel) and got a short 3.5-hour sleep. It was a pretty cheap, budget hotel - no hot shower, no toilet paper, no toothpaste, nothing. At least the sleep was good and uninterrupted, albeit relatively short.

The route isn't a loop, so from here on we're just backtracking along the same way that we came. In daylight it was easier to make progress for the first 70km since we could see the road clearly and avoid all the nasty parts. Even had time to stop for pictures. After that, back to brutally hot sun. Not sure how accurate the Garmins are (someone said it doesn't measure actual temperature, but reads the heat that radiates off the ground?), but mine showed as high as 51°C after parking my bike out under the sun while having a drink for just a short while. The maddest thing is, the air is actually cool. Everytime I pass under the shade of a tree I can feel the cool breeze, and then once I leave its shadow it's burning hot again.

Less than 5 minutes after taking this picture, it was showing 51

We got back to the KFC at around 5:00pm. Someone had previously suggested that we book a hotel here to get a proper rest before doing the final 160km tomorrow, but I didn't like the idea. For one, I didn't plan my battery power strategy (e.g. power banks, lights, GPS, phone) for three days. Secondly, I wasn't keen on riding that last bit during the day, and under potentially more hot sun. Fortunately my group was with me on this and it turned out to be *mostly* a good idea. About 70km of heavy rolling hills in the dark, and in cool weather, was great. The 30km climb to the top was pretty brutal. I estimated an average 8% grade most of the way... which actually sounds pretty doable (it reminds me of Alpe du Zwift), but after over 500km and over 8000+m of climbing, there's a lot of fatigue in the legs.

But the climb wasn't the worst part. At the peak, it was pretty cold. PBP kind of cold, and I had not planned for it at all. I only had a rain jacket with me and that did nothing to stave off freezing hands and feet for the last descent to the finishing point. What's worse, apparently the cold air hitting my face somehow triggered my drowsiness and I had to stop for a power nap. After that I descended very, very slowly -- partly because it was still dark, but more importantly to avoid the cold air -- but all that braking landed me with a puncture on the front wheel. 20 mins of fixing later and it got a little bit warmer (well, 10°C vs 13°C didn't seem like much, but I could ride down faster and not squeeze the brakes every 2-3 seconds) so the descending after that was problem-free.

By the time I reached the bottom the morning sun was already out. Final roll to the end and I finished at about 8:22am. Got into the McDonalds to get my official timing at 8:24am for a total of 50h 24m.

Apparently Strava is having difficulties uploading my FIT file so, Garmin Connect will have to do for now...

I'm gonna echo one of my friends and say this is the last time I'm going to ever ride a Super Randonnée. That was absolutely brutal, from the two extremes in temperatures, the nasty climbs, the sore bottom at the end.......... but eh, this is randonneuring. I'm 50% 75% 90% 99% sure I'll change my mind next year, if/when my Audax club organizes yet another one of these mad adventures!

And finally, my ride video: https://tinyurl.com/trapmr2

Last edited by atwl77; 02-17-20 at 06:25 AM.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 02-18-20, 01:57 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Wow, @atwl77, that sounds like quite a ride. Nice photo, too. Thanks for the writeup! My legs hurt just reading it (though Sunday's 200, almost perfectly flat, with no adverse weather condtions to speak of, had already done that).

As @unterhausen mentioned, I'm signed up for the Iron Porcupine ride in August. I'm also signed up as volunteer for the NY-M-NY ride so hope to be on the pre-ride for that. Before that I have a lot of riding to do, though! I have lost a lot of strength (and speed) since last spring, I'm not sure why. Probably not riding enough. People tell me about this thing called 'training' but until now I have found it hard to take it seriously.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
So you're a car collector now Rudi, nice.
Nope! Traded 'em both in and got a used Prius in my wife's name, to be handed over to our daughter when she learns to drive. Never thought I'd be the kind of parent who buys the kid a car! But she's spending an inordinate amount of time on public transportation (to get to her dance practice, which is in New Jersey, from where she goes to college, whch is also in New Jersey, she has to take the train to NYC and walk ten blocks to the bus station. A lot of time wasted. But I'm nominally car-free again.

Last edited by rhm; 02-18-20 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 09:23 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

I wrote about my recent Super Randonnée on my blog here: https://adriantung.net/wp/2020/02/26...andonnee-2020/
Old 02-26-20, 02:49 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
My current plan is:

Try out a local Maine 200K permanent with some friends.

BashBish Falls 300K out of Westfield, Mass. I've done this one 3 times already and really love the route

Saratoga 400K also out of Westfield. I've never done longer than 300K so this will be uncharted territory for me!

David
Old 02-26-20, 05:41 PM
Martin_T

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 02-26-20, 06:00 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

I did the "Central Jersey 200" again on Sunday, or was it Monday?, to retroactively fill in my R- series. I guess this ride made up for not riding an official ride in December. Don't ask me why I care; but I did it. Same ride as two weeks ago.

But wow, I'm glad I did. It turned out to be a beautiful day. I rode an old Bottecchia road bike converted to 650b fixie rando bike. My first longer fixie ride since last Spring. Anyway, I had a great ride, felt good all day, finished still feeling good. My last two or three brevets (two of them the same route as I did on Monday!) really wiped me out, so finishing one feeling good was a nice change.
Old 02-27-20, 08:40 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by David in Maine
Saratoga 400K also out of Westfield. I've never done longer than 300K so this will be uncharted territory for me!
It's only 100km more, don't worry, you've got this!
Old 02-27-20, 05:46 PM
David in Maine

Originally Posted by atwl77
It's only 100km more, don't worry, you've got this!
Thanks!

David
Old 03-03-20, 07:39 AM
David in Maine

Wondering if I can get some clarification. I'm feeling excited about my riding season with the delivery of my new custom Seven RedSky and I'm considering going for the super Randonneur award. I would also like to finish with the 1000k ride put on by the Nova Scotia Randonneurs in July. To receive the award, does the series have to consist of all organized brevets, or can you do permanents for some distances. I've read about problems with insurance regarding permanents, but, being new to the scene, I don't really understand it all.

Thanks,

David
Old 03-03-20, 09:16 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
Wondering if I can get some clarification. I'm feeling excited about my riding season with the delivery of my new custom Seven RedSky and I'm considering going for the super Randonneur award. I would also like to finish with the 1000k ride put on by the Nova Scotia Randonneurs in July. To receive the award, does the series have to consist of all organized brevets, or can you do permanents for some distances. I've read about problems with insurance regarding permanents, but, being new to the scene, I don't really understand it all.

Thanks,

David
The permanent program is suspended. RUSA was not able to get insurance for permanents. So if you want to do the series, it must be scheduled brevets.

Last edited by GadgetGirlIL; 03-03-20 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-03-20, 09:24 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
...To receive the award, does the series have to consist of all organized brevets, or can you do permanents for some distances. I've read about problems with insurance regarding permanents, but, being new to the scene, I don't really understand it all...
SR award is based on ACP events which means organized club brevets not permanants. Still 2 spots left on the Iron Porcupine if you want to try a 1200k. GLR puts on a great randonnée.
Old 03-03-20, 04:41 PM
David in Maine

Thanks for the info! Looks like my plan is to do the series at the Berkshire Brevets in Westfield! 200k on 3/29--better get training!

David
Old 03-03-20, 08:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

There area still RUSA brevets that aren't ACP, so it is best to check. It will say on the RUSA website if it's ACP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.