Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Keto diet?

Old 08-10-17, 11:49 AM
fantom1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To each his own I suppose.

From my understanding of metabolism, muscles, and energy, the energy has to come from somewhere, and I don't see anything magical about the diet, but perhaps that's just me.
Old 08-11-17, 09:39 AM
hyegeek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The energy certainly has to come from somewhere, as with anyone on any diet, if you expend more than you take in, it comes from body fat. In the case of someone in ketosis, the body is just better at turning to fat than someone who is carb fueled.
Old 08-11-17, 12:05 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
50/50 some do well some don't. I do ok but cant ride with the fast group when I'm on it.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 08-18-17, 03:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomeame
I was eating mainly Keto prior to the cycling season, (less than 20g carb) but after starting to ride had to start including carbs, at about 20% of daily cals. I found flat riding at low intensities no problem, but I'd be a complete wreck on any sort of climb. Even small climbs were slow going and exhausting.

From my experience, if you can keep your heartrate below I'd say 70-75% at all times, keto is easily manageable. Above this, your performance will be crap, and you'll exhaust quickly which you'll feel for the rest of the day..recovery seems slow.

I read base building for cyclists last week, and in the book he recommends going to 45% daily calories from carbs, so I've been trying this. Although great for performance (87km ride 2 days into diet, avg 26.8km/hr but kept it low-ish intensity) it doesn't appear to have done much for weight/body composition over the last week, and in fact I'm up 3lbs. I'm also noticing I'm sweating and am tired a lot...I feel very full/bloated, and frankly, dumb...like my brain isn't turning on. But at the same time muscle fatigue seems to be much less, I can definitely ride longer than at 20% carbs.

I'm going to dial back the carbs to maybe 25-35% and see how that goes.

Matt
Your body is basically a trainable chemical factory. It gets better at what you ask it to do. Doing keto, your body lost its knack for using carbs. When you eat carbs, keep the portions small and use whole carbs - w.w. bread, brown rice, etc., and the portions no bigger than your fist. If you feel full/bloated, eat less! Always stop eating when you aren't actually hungry anymore. The dumb feeling and sweating are from low B.S., probably from overeating carbs or eating too high G.I. carbs when not on the bike. I'm always careful to eat fat, protein, and carbs together, whether it's a snack or a meal.
Old 08-19-17, 05:15 PM
Coyotejunky

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on a KETO diet for about 2 1/2 months and I have lost over 30 lbs. I set another goal now that I bought a bicycle and am trying to ride about 5 miles a day. I really miss the carbs, for eating pleasure. But that got me fat in the first place. My blood glucose levels are much better, and I am starting to feel like I am in a ketogenic state. I am sure one of the biggest factors is elimination of all junk food and soda. I drink mostly water, or Almond/coconut milk. So far I will keep it up. In the future, I may increase carbs.
Old 08-23-17, 05:14 AM
dozen_bullets

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What kind of diet pills do you guys use for keto or what is best?
According to https://bestdietpills.work fat burners must be good.
Prescription Weight Loss / Diet Pills: What Are the Options?

Last edited by dozen_bullets; 10-29-17 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-26-17, 08:04 PM
Shadowx

Bikes: Marin Larkspur CS2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Keto is great for weight loss. I think, as its proven in big races, if you want performance, carbs are the go to fuel. I am trying to do Keto for weight loss, I try and eat high protein until after i ride. I am not starving during my ride and i am not crazy hungry after like i am on carbs. So far so good.
Old 02-26-20, 07:37 AM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi, are there any medications that help you lose weight?
Old 02-26-20, 08:00 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
I've been on a 2 year mission to learn what the healthiest diet for humans is. During that time I've lost 160 lbs. I think Keto can initially help people who are obese to drop weight initially but depending on exactly what a Keto diet means to you, may not be healthy long term. I now eat a whole foods plant based diet with small amounts of quality meat about 2-3 days a week.

I eat carbs but never processed sugar or junk food. For long bike rids I'll make what I jokingly call "biker balls". I toast whole oats with almonds and walnuts first, then mix in raisins and shaved unsweetened bakers chocolate and mashed up medjool dates. Sometimes I'll mash in a banana and some blueberries. I take that mixture and roll it onto bite sized balls to pack in a zip lock bag for my longer rides.

I mention my snacks because I see so many cyclists eating just pure junk food with the attitude that they need carbs and seemingly no clue as to the quality of the nutrients, or even poison in those carbs. Give your body good foods to build from and you will have a good body. Give your body crap to build from and you will eventually get sick no matter how active you are.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 02-26-20, 08:45 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I've been on a 2 year mission to learn what the healthiest diet for humans is. During that time I've lost 160 lbs. I think Keto can initially help people who are obese to drop weight initially but depending on exactly what a Keto diet means to you, may not be healthy long term. I now eat a whole foods plant based diet with small amounts of quality meat about 2-3 days a week.

I eat carbs but never processed sugar or junk food. For long bike rids I'll make what I jokingly call "biker balls". I toast whole oats with almonds and walnuts first, then mix in raisins and shaved unsweetened bakers chocolate and mashed up medjool dates. Sometimes I'll mash in a banana and some blueberries. I take that mixture and roll it onto bite sized balls to pack in a zip lock bag for my longer rides.

I mention my snacks because I see so many cyclists eating just pure junk food with the attitude that they need carbs and seemingly no clue as to the quality of the nutrients, or even poison in those carbs. Give your body good foods to build from and you will have a good body. Give your body crap to build from and you will eventually get sick no matter how active you are.
I thought your post was really good up until you said "poison". We don't need that kind of hyperbole.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 02-26-20, 08:48 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I thought your post was really good up until you said "poison". We don't need that kind of hyperbole.
Pesticide residues are, by definition, poison.
Likes For willibrord:
Old 02-26-20, 10:19 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
this reminds me I need to make a batch of sausage balls!
Old 02-26-20, 10:42 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by willibrord
Pesticide residues are, by definition, poison.
Yeah, because we're all eating significant amounts pesticide residue. Come on!
Old 02-26-20, 12:44 PM
RH Clark

The more I educate myself, the more I do consider many processed food ingredients poison. I don't want to eat any ingredients I can't pronounce. If you can look at a candy bar and consider it good nutrition then we don't agree at all. Now on the other hand,nobody is perfect and our bodies can deal with certain amounts of toxins from both our food or the environment. Just how much you can handle and still be healthy is up to you, but my best hypothesis is that many problems later in life are caused by poor nutrition choices.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 02-26-20, 12:59 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Were do keto diet fans get their fiber? The people I know on it don't get hardly any. That's not going to be a healthy diet for the long term.
Old 02-26-20, 01:10 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Were do keto diet fans get their fiber? The people I know on it don't get hardly any. That's not going to be a healthy diet for the long term.
When I studied Keto ,I learned that there is a healthy kind of Keto and what's called dirty Keto. Dirty Keto would be all kinds of processed meats and dairy. Basically dirty Keto is just all the junk you were eating before but without the carbs. Nopt much good fiber in this diet. You might lose weight because you cut out the majority of your dietary foods,but you have to ask yourself if you are getting good nutrition long term.

When I did low carb I used the Keto guides to learn other foods low in carbs that I hadn't been eating, like for instance avocadoes,and Kale. Basically you could eat any green vegetables that were low in carbs to get your fiber, to answer your question specifically.

I personally think Whole foods plant based is the healthier diet,but low carbs may be a faster way to weight loss for obese folks. Remember I was obese myself. I weigh 170 now and my heaviest was over 360,though I only have 330 documented.
Old 02-26-20, 01:42 PM
OBoile

The more I educate myself, the more I do consider many processed food ingredients poison.
And again, that is a massive overstatement. The definition of poison is:
a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed.
No one is getting sick or dying from a candy bar.

I don't want to eat any ingredients I can't pronounce.
Can you pronounce all of these?https://www.businessinsider.com/what...-banana-2017-6
If you can look at a candy bar and consider it good nutrition then we don't agree at all.
Whether it is good nutrition or not would likely depend on the goal for which you are using it. If you're eating it to get through the last hour of a race, it may be fine. If your eating it for long term health it obviously isn't. But, the occasional candy bar isn't a big deal.
Now on the other hand,nobody is perfect and our bodies can deal with certain amounts of toxins from both our food or the environment. Just how much you can handle and still be healthy is up to you, but my best hypothesis is that many problems later in life are caused by poor nutrition choices.
Certainly true, but that's no the same as equating poor nutrition to poison.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 02-26-20, 02:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
OBoile you're right, but it doesn't matter. You're arguing over how to use a word whereas it's more fruitful to discuss what diets are beneficial.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-20, 02:52 PM
RH Clark

And again, that is a massive overstatement. The definition of poison is: No one is getting sick or dying from a candy bar.

Can you pronounce all of these?https://www.businessinsider.com/what...-banana-2017-6

Whether it is good nutrition or not would likely depend on the goal for which you are using it. If you're eating it to get through the last hour of a race, it may be fine. If your eating it for long term health it obviously isn't. But, the occasional candy bar isn't a big deal.

Certainly true, but that's no the same as equating poor nutrition to poison.
Then just keep on eating what you think is healthy. That's all I'm telling anyone to do ,but educate yourself as much as you can, and don't assume every bit of information you pull of the web is in your best interest. You seem like the kind of person though that already knows all the answers. No need to discuss this further with such a person.

I also think you are very naïve if you think the increased consumption of "candy bars" hasn't made America sick.
Old 02-26-20, 05:43 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Avocado, non-starchy vegetables, berries, nuts, flaxseed......

The Standard American Diet probably has less fiber than most Keto diets.

Fiber also isn't that necessary if you don't eat junk food. The Inuit lived well on Carnivore diet by eating nose-to-tail.

Staying away from processed food, regardless of how you call the diet, improves things for the better. The exact macronutrients probably matter less than just eating real food.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 02-26-20, 07:29 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Avocado, non-starchy vegetables, berries, nuts, flaxseed......

The Standard American Diet probably has less fiber than most Keto diets.

Fiber also isn't that necessary if you don't eat junk food. The Inuit lived well on Carnivore diet by eating nose-to-tail.

Staying away from processed food, regardless of how you call the diet, improves things for the better. The exact macronutrients probably matter less than just eating real food.
So which is it? We need fiber or we don't?

Science knows which it is. A low fiber diet puts one at risk of a whole host of health issues, from digestive, diabetes, and even cancer.

Don't kid yourself. The vast majority of Keto'ers are still eating the SAD... just with less carbs and fiber, and even more meat.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-26-20, 07:46 PM
RH Clark

So which is it? We need fiber or we don't?

Science knows which it is. A low fiber diet puts one at risk of a whole host of health issues, from digestive, diabetes, and even cancer.

Don't kid yourself. The vast majority of Keto'ers are still eating the SAD... just with less carbs and fiber, and even more meat.
I'm afraid that's true. From my research so far ,a whole foods plant based diet with occasional locally raised or caught protein is the diet that has worked best keeping humans healthy all around the world. The best information about healthy human diets in my estimation comes from studying the blue zones all around the world. These blue zones are locations where people live longer healthier lives than in other areas. They are really the longest test cases of particular type diets that we can study. It's also easy to see how the numbers began to change as soon as the food industry started selling them processed foods. Heck, look at just our US statistics over the last 60 years of diet related health problems increasing as we increased our processed foods consumption.
Old 02-26-20, 07:52 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Source? You went grocery shopping with everyone who eats low carb?
Old 02-26-20, 07:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
I'm afraid that's true. From my research so far ,a whole foods plant based diet with occasional locally raised or caught protein is the diet that has worked best keeping humans healthy all around the world. The best information about healthy human diets in my estimation comes from studying the blue zones all around the world. These blue zones are locations where people live longer healthier lives than in other areas. They are really the longest test cases of particular type diets that we can study. It's also easy to see how the numbers began to change as soon as the food industry started selling them processed foods. Heck, look at just our US statistics over the last 60 years of diet related health problems increasing as we increased our processed foods consumption.
Yes but see: https://www.bikeforums.net/21337366-post53.html
re "blue zones."
Old 02-26-20, 08:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun

If you're going to stay away from processed foods, you may as well starve and eat nothing. Processing food is what makes us human and distinguishes us from other animals. Our human ancestors have been processing food since paleolithic times long before farming became mainstream...Carbs are real food just like protein and fat.
Likes For wolfchild:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.