Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Proper cleaning of a tubular rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 07:38 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Today I found the need to pull one of my tubulars of the Zipp rim as I couldn’t get it to inflate. I suspected (correctly) that the valve had shut causing the problem. Once I pulled the tire off (with considerable difficulty) I discovered that the tire was installed using Tufo tape but there was still a considerable layer of glue under the tape. I was a bit surprised by this as the previous owner was a detail oriented former TT competitor that I assumed would have cleaned the glue off before applying the tape.
Not a big deal ? Cleaning old glue has been a major pain in my limited experience, if the rim doesn’t need to be virtually glue free it would save a LOT of time.
Old 04-12-20, 07:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Not cleaning off old glue was the norm back in the day. If the glue didn't pull off with the tire's removal it was pretty well bonded with the rim, just what you want a sew up glue to be. Also some sew up tape instructed the installer to use a base layer of glue before the tape was used. I don't remember what the various Tufo tapes instructed users to do any more. Maybe you can search for an instruction sheet on line to find out, or visit a LBS that stocks Tufo tape and read the included instructions

Either way I don't think it maters if old glue is still there as long as it's not so thick as to cause a lumpy tire seating. For what it's worth the many tens of thousands of miles (and dozens of tires) I rode on sew ups I only used rim tape as an on the road flat replacement, a temporary situation as the spare tire was removed and the tire (new or spare) was glued as usual.

this isn't a bad question as rolling a tire is always a nasty thing (I can still hear the sound that a tireless rim makes on pavement as it slides out) Andy
Old 04-12-20, 08:54 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
IME, the old standard of leaving a thick bed of glue does not work so well with modern (Mastik) glues, which, being thinner, want a smoother surface.

This also applies to tape, from what I've read.

I use a curved carving gouge to remove glue, whether just the lumps, or all. It take a bit of time but doesn't make the mess of a wire wheel, nor the toxics of solvents.

If the valve problem included an old style extension, it's worth it to replace with the kind that puts the valve core where you can deal with it, and if it's an older Vittoria

tire with those stupid removable stems, consider junking the tire.
Old 04-12-20, 08:59 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
The makers of Effetto Mariposa Caronga tape say that the rim should be completely clean for the best bond between the tire and the rim. Other makers may have different recommendations, but tape will always stick best on a smooth and clean surface.

A new layer of glue will soften the old glue, but the adhesive in the tape won't do that, or at least not nearly as well.

If you intend to use tape I would recommend that you clean the old glue off, I would avoid using a wire brush to remove the old glue. I had very good results using the Effetto rim cleaner - you could not tell that a tubular had ever been glued on the rim.
Old 04-12-20, 09:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've used Tubasti for decades. Never cleaned rims. (Sometimes scrape highs down and fill lows but if the glue was stuck solidly, I trusted it and the glue added to it far more than anything to a clean rim.)

I just went onlne to verify that Tubasti was still available. Amazon, yes. Then Jensen "no longer available". What? Now, is that Amazon Tubasti of who knows how old stock? Is it still being made? Went to Velox website. Took a little searching. (Saw Clement solvent first and my heart sank again.) Then the tab for Glue for Tubular. And there it was. Tubasti, by the tube, by the tub! Yeah! (Now, if I lived in a very hot area, especially with hot descents, I wouldn't use Tubasti. But for the Pacific NW, SF Bay Area, Michigan and New England, it is the stuff. (And maybe descents on CF rims but I have yet to ride those.))

My next rims will be tubular. I'm going back because I never again want to blow a tire and have it come off. Not in this lifetime. And I don't want to to even be a possibility going downhill at better than 45. (Blew tubulars at least once at those speeds many years ago. Enough of a non-event that I don't even remember if it was front or rear.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-13-20, 07:59 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
The makers of Effetto Mariposa Caronga tape say that the rim should be completely clean for the best bond between the tire and the rim. Other makers may have different recommendations, but tape will always stick best on a smooth and clean surface.

A new layer of glue will soften the old glue, but the adhesive in the tape won't do that, or at least not nearly as well.

If you intend to use tape I would recommend that you clean the old glue off, I would avoid using a wire brush to remove the old glue. I had very good results using the Effetto rim cleaner - you could not tell that a tubular had ever been glued on the rim.
I just ordered the cleaner, Acetone works too slow for me.
Old 04-13-20, 09:48 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Acetone, an old dull screwdriver and a stiff wire brush. There is no shortcut.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-13-20, 12:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
brass brush on a drill fast and safe

Old 04-13-20, 01:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Acetone, an old dull screwdriver and a stiff wire brush. There is no shortcut.
A wire wheel mounted on a bench grinder makes quick work of it. Less than a minute per wheel; no nasty solvents, no tiresome scraping.

N.B. wear face & eye protection. Not recommended for carbon fiber rims.
Old 04-13-20, 07:46 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
^^ That looks good. I try not to use power tools if I don't have too.....might take it too far.