Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

One Bike Stable with a Mercier Kilo WT

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-17-20, 12:21 PM
Tiestotti

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

I have a question for those who believe in the “One Bike Stable” philosophy. I currently own a Mercier Kilo WT, and I have been thinking about getting a different bike that will put me in the “One Bike Stable” category. The reason for that is simple: The Kilo WT geometry, specifically the reach, which is so long IMO, and the fact that is spaced at 120mm in the rear. I really don’t want to get rid of the Kilo and go out and buy another bicycle, but I feel like those are limitations to having only one, all-around bike capable of handling a multitude of tasks.

Has anyone here who owns a Kilo WT been able to make it work as a comfortable, hopefully lightweight, do-it-all kind of bicycle, and if so, any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-20, 01:33 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
You should never ride a frame that doesn't fit you, and it sounds like you need a frame with a shorter top tube than the Kilo WT. Why are you concerned with the rear dropout spacing ? Do you want to run a rear disc brake or multiple gears ? And no, I don't believe it's possible to have a do everything bicycle. You'll end up with a compromise that doesn't do anything very well.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 07-18-20 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-17-20, 02:36 PM
20t
spinner

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by 20t; 03-29-23 at 06:27 AM.
Likes For 20t:
Old 07-17-20, 04:11 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Is storage space an issue? Do you wanna well rounded single speed? Do you want a well rounded IGH bike? Do you want a well rounded derailleur bike? Well rounded for urban, suburban, or rural? Too many factors and variables. How do you usually ride? Carbon, aluminum, or steel?

I'd suggest more than one bike, as previously mentioned you'll end up with a mediocre overall bike that maybe has some capabilities but excels at nothing. I have too many bikes, but ideally I would have at least 3 or so for the riding I do most frequently and each of them being well sorted for specific riding styles.

Oh, lightweight and all rounder has you looking at carbon most likely if weight is a concern. Larger tires and beefier rims are increased weight in general.

Last edited by Senrab62; 07-17-20 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added piece about weight
Old 07-17-20, 07:15 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by Senrab62
Is storage space an issue? Do you wanna well rounded single speed? Do you want a well rounded IGH bike? Do you want a well rounded derailleur bike? Well rounded for urban, suburban, or rural? Too many factors and variables. How do you usually ride? Carbon, aluminum, or steel?

I'd suggest more than one bike, as previously mentioned you'll end up with a mediocre overall bike that maybe has some capabilities but excels at nothing. I have too many bikes, but ideally I would have at least 3 or so for the riding I do most frequently and each of them being well sorted for specific riding styles.

Oh, lightweight and all rounder has you looking at carbon most likely if weight is a concern. Larger tires and beefier rims are increased weight in general.
weight is not a major concern or steel. Well rounded single speed is probably what I am aiming at. I guess it makes sense to consider more than one bike in this case. Better to have have choices than one mediocre choice
Old 07-17-20, 07:17 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by 20t
I’ve got a WT. It comes with a long stem so a shorter one may be what you need. What size do you have and how tall are you? As far as being a one and only “do it all” bike well that depends on what kind of riding you do. If you want a commuter that can do super long rides up big descents then it’s probably the wrong choice. The best do it all bike for most people who want to do a large variety of riding types is probably a gravel bike.
I will definitely consider a shorter stem! I just get tired over time and feel super stretched riding on the hoods for a long time
Old 07-17-20, 07:20 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You should never ride a frame that doesn't fit you, and it sounds like you need a frame with a shorter top tube than the Kilo WT. Why are you concerned with the rear dropout spacing ? Do you want to run a rear disc brake or multiple gears ? And no, I don't believe its possible to have a do everything bicycle. You'll end up with a compromise that doesn't do anything very well.
i think the size is appropriate for my height, I am 5’9” and the bike is a 53cm. I don’t think the single speed rear spacing is a deal breaker for me, but hey, sometimes it hurts to go up a steep climb or bridge lol

but i think you’re right. Rather have more options than compromise with a single, limited option
Old 07-17-20, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
What is a single bike solution? Seems like an oxymoron.

If I had to do something one bike, It would have to be a titanium frame with disc brakes and massive tire clearance and thru axles (with sliding dropouts)and I would probably buy different wheels. I can get a Paul Fixed Word hub which would solve issues when I would want to run fixed. I would probably want to run ScRAM only because it is wireless so a little easier to take on and off but I dislike their components so I don't know how I would make it work. However this is a dumb idea and I wouldn't do it. I have too many babies I love to death. I will honestly admit that I feel as though I have too many bikes that I really don't want and some bikes I really do want and would like to sell a couple,

If you were doing it get the absolute best bike you can with as many practical and modern features as possible. Go custom from a good reputable builder, get really good reliable parts on it.
Though life just isn't fun with only one bike.
Old 07-17-20, 08:01 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiestotti
i think the size is appropriate for my height, I am 5’9” and the bike is a 53cm.
The length of a frame's top tube is more important than the seat tube when determining proper size. Manufacturer's use the seat tube length to define frame size, and use standover clearance as the criteria for sizing. This does not take into consideration the rider's torso and arm lengths, which are more important in determining proper body position on the bicycle. Some frames like the Kilo WT tend towards long top tube lengths, so you might be better off with a 49 cm to get the correct fit. Since the 49 cm Kilo WT has a sloping top tube, you will have the same saddle to bar drop as the 53 cm frame. Compensating with either a very long or very short stem is not a good solution, because it will place your weight either too far forward or rearward, which affects steering. Typically, the sweet spot for stems coupled with drop bars is between 80cm and 120cm. I suggest you look at a bicycle sizing calculator to see what frame dimensions are optimal for you.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 07-17-20 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-17-20, 08:54 PM
20t
spinner

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by 20t; 03-29-23 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 12:36 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I have a question for those who believe in the “One Bike Stable” philosophy.
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Is storage space an issue?
This would be the reason I would want only one bike. However, having two bikes sure is nice when one bike breaks down and parts will take a few days or weeks to arrive.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-18-20, 12:38 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
This would be the reason I would want only one bike. However, having two bikes sure is nice when one bike breaks down and parts will take a few days or weeks to arrive.
Same. That's why I asked. Some people do not have the ability to store more than one bike reasonably. I am fortunate/unfortunate to have basically as much storage space as I need or want. 🤦🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🚴🏾‍♂️😂
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 07-19-20, 11:49 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I can tell you from experience that a Surly Steamroller, which is what your Kilo WT tries to imitate, that has been around my family for some time, has served several different bicycling purposes very well...
Old 07-20-20, 07:57 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
i think the size is appropriate for my height, I am 5’9” and the bike is a 53cm. I don’t think the single speed rear spacing is a deal breaker for me, but hey, sometimes it hurts to go up a steep climb or bridge lol

but i think you’re right. Rather have more options than compromise with a single, limited option
Maybe you don't realize it, but your bike's rear spacing can be expanded quite easily. In fact, in many instances it doesn't even have to be spread, there is a certain amount of "give" in steel frames. If you want it spread more than 5mm though, it is recommended that you spread the frame's rear triangle and then have the fork ends adjusted so that they are parallel. Don't be afraid of doing it or having it done. It has been done successfully for longer than any of us have been around. If you don't want to do it, take it to a reputable shop that has experience doing it.

You will then open up a lot of options.
Old 07-20-20, 09:07 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Maybe you don't realize it, but your bike's rear spacing can be expanded quite easily. In fact, in many instances it doesn't even have to be spread, there is a certain amount of "give" in steel frames. If you want it spread more than 5mm though, it is recommended that you spread the frame's rear triangle and then have the fork ends adjusted so that they are parallel. Don't be afraid of doing it or having it done. It has been done successfully for longer than any of us have been around. If you don't want to do it, take it to a reputable shop that has experience doing it.

You will then open up a lot of options.
I never even thought about this. I will definitely ask an experienced person about this. Thanks!
Old 07-20-20, 09:13 AM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I will definitely consider a shorter stem! I just get tired over time and feel super stretched riding on the hoods for a long time
Flat bars might also help.

I've thought of a 1 bike stable with a fg/ss along with an internal gear hub like a Alfine 8 for longer rides. Could keep a full length housing cable attached to the frame for easy switch out.
Old 07-20-20, 10:50 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by 20t
I’m also 5’9 with the 53cm and it fits perfect once I went with a shorter stem. I’d give that a try if I were you.
already working on that based on the comments on this thread, and different bars. Thanks !
Old 08-02-20, 04:23 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same height as you and ride a 53cm Surly SteamRoller, I'm using a 110mm stem and it seems fine, don't know what the WT comes with. But you might be built differently than me. I don't really think there's 1 do it all bike, unless if your general purpose is just like commuting. I was thinking about getting that State Sonoran bike, that seems like it would kind of fit into that category of being able to do whatever. But I know if I get it, I'll end up being unhappy with it in certain area's still. Which will then lead me into wanting a mountain bike or full on road bike lol.

Last edited by Philasteve; 08-02-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 08:03 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by Philasteve
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same height as you and ride a 53cm Surly SteamRoller, I'm using a 110mm stem and it seems fine, don't know what the WT comes with. But you might be built differently than me. I don't really think there's 1 do it all bike, unless if your general purpose is just like commuting. I was thinking about getting that State Sonoran bike, that seems like it would kind of fit into that category of being able to do whatever. But I know if I get it, I'll end up being unhappy with it in certain area's still. Which will then lead me into wanting a mountain bike or full on road bike lol.
I’m not even sure but I am going to try a different style of handlebars that will definitely reduce the reach number by a lot. If I need to change that for whatever reason, I was thinking a super short stem with risers and try that out.

that soma looks sweet! It may be worth to start saving for a bike like that!