Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody got a history or idea about this bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody got a history or idea about this bike?

Old 03-06-07, 12:49 PM
silversmith
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look at the size of those lugs. They are designed to give lots of contact surface for the glue. I bet they hold together very well.

I also doubt very much that this frame is anywhere near as flexy as Vitus.
Old 03-06-07, 03:55 PM
Blender
Mixitup

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here i the brochure I had scanned and posted on the Technium technology.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=215343

I scanned it bacwards but you get the Idea
Likes For Blender:
Old 03-07-07, 09:29 PM
cocoasprinkles
Flatlander

Bikes: 94 Raleigh SP 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea i paid 250 for the bike in the original picture (minus the bar tape). I bought the Mavic's so i can become 8 speed, the campy wheels were really nice and light but only accepted 6-7 speed freewheels. I was getting scared i got totally ripped off.
Old 03-10-07, 07:27 AM
Hilarystone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Badged as Raleigh America BUT built in England

Despite this frame being badged as Raleigh America it is without doubt one of the bonded frames produced at Raleigh SPD in Nottingham. Take a look at this photo of another example also decaled with Raleigh America transfers. This is actually one of the Aluminium MMC tubed frames made at Raleigh SPD - I bought it on Ebay last year from the US. The frame number beginning with a D indicates that it is 1994 - I am not sure whether the D refers to it being 1994 model year or 1994 calender year. The second long heavily stamped number on the BB shell is not one seen on Raleigh SPD frames sold in England and I rather think it is something that was put there for Raleigh America's benefit... Note the identical aluminium lugs to that used on the Ti tubed frame. These were the last version used by Raleigh SPD. The first version of the lugs had a cast aluminium wishbone which had a tendency to break... Raleigh America's Technium lugs despite using bonding technology were quite different from either of Raleigh SPD's designs. I am sure the Ti frame will have an original Raleigh SPD number on the BB as well as possibly another number. Raleigh started dropping their bonded frames from 1995 when plasma welded Ti frames, Tig welded 853 and Optima frames came on stream. The bonded frames rode very nicely but the lugs were not pretty and the frames never achieved the popularity they deserved. When working as Technical Editor at Cycling Plus 1992–96 we tested 11 or 12 bikes from Raleigh SPD of which I still have seven - Raleigh were never very interested in getting their bikes back!

Hilary
Likes For Hilarystone:
Old 03-10-07, 11:23 AM
cocoasprinkles
Flatlander

Bikes: 94 Raleigh SP 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, it's so crazy finally seeign my bike in another form online...you are really reputable.

I'll post a pic of my BB to let you come to your conclusion. So there is a good chance my bike is from Raleigh SPD? in Nottingham, sounds cool.
Old 03-10-07, 11:59 AM
Hilarystone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes I think it almost certainly is from Nottingham... But let me see the bottom bracket picture.

Hilary
Old 06-21-17, 05:34 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Zombie Thread.... resurrect!!

(note all replies prior are from '07)

Bumping this one to consolidate info, I know there's this other thread too and this one and of course this one then this one.

I'm apparently on a string of bizarre finds recently, and cool people selling them. I bumped into someone this week who listed a garage sale with the words "vintage Peugeot and Raleigh bike". No pics, so I emailed to ask for more info and, if nothing else, I can give an idea of valuation. Replies back with what was clearly a mid-80s Tourmalet with the stock tires still on it (not in the best shape) and what I thought was a Technium until I showed it to a friend who's better with the brand.

Anyway, it ended up being one of these Raleigh SP 1000 bikes and it was Titanium on the TT not Technium. I wouldn't have thought to ask anyone but in the blur of the pics, I noticed the Campy label on the rim, the Mavic starfish and RD and was totally confused. Figured it could be worth checking out. We emailed a bit and I tossed out a number for both bikes, he came back to me and it was on.

Got it home, tuned it up a bit and went for a spin, I actually really enjoyed it. Responsive, fits like a 59-60 CTT despite the actual size. It's springy when cranking hard but I don't think the bike weighs more than 15-16lbs tops so it didn't feel like I needed to really punch it to go anywhere. Seat weighs 7oz and is actually moderately comfortable. Total mish-mash of parts though, mix of stock and weight weenie.

Not many pics on the internet of these, so I'm posting my find for future hunters. The seller mentioned this thread when we met up to swap goods.

Full album here: Raleigh SP 1000 - Album on Imgur

Last edited by francophile; 06-21-17 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 05:38 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

PS - curious to see how this rides in comparison to the Moto Sportlight (979) I've got being facilitated by another BF'er right now. I'd always dodged glued-up bikes, but a couple have fallen in my lap pretty cheap recently so ... not much to lose, I guess?
Old 06-21-17, 07:31 PM
b00gie

Bikes: Serotta, Surly

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a score!
Old 10-01-19, 07:18 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Looping back on this thread.

I finally took my Motobecane Pro Mark I out for a spin this past weekend. It seriously pains me to say this, but ... the Raleigh SP 1000 bonded Ti frame above rides waaaay better than the Vitus 979 Al frame. Much less flex in the SP 1000. Transmission of road vibration is somehow palpably worse on the 979 frame. I don't want to say "night and day" but it's apropos.

I understand why Raleigh stopped making these frames after reading Hilary's comments above, but ... man. Maybe they shouldn't have. Ugly, chunky lugs or not, this SP 1000 is a damn solid ultralight vintage bike! Now I just need to get it it tout Mavic! Still not sure why the PO didn't install a Mavic 870 or 860 FD instead of the Suntour unit.

(NB: For what it's worth, cow tape and hoods on the SP 1000 were replaced with dark grey tape and black hoods shortly after the album pics were shot above. bike looks much more sexy/cohesive now)
Old 10-01-19, 08:19 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I missed this thread the first two times around. As noted, these are English built frames. The Dyna-Tech lugs are different from the Technium lugs. The clincher is the dual serial number on the frame. We've seen other cases of Raleigh USA product where they've added their own serial number to contract manufactured frames.

There was an an even higher model with an MMC (Metal Matrix Composite) main triangle bonded to Reynolds 753 stays. IIRC, the MMC was aluminum reinforced with boron particles. It was marketed as the SP-2000 in the USA and the Cronos in the UK.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-01-19, 08:30 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by T-Mar
There was an an even higher model with an MMC (Metal Matrix Composite) main triangle bonded to Reynolds 753 stays. IIRC, the MMC was aluminum reinforced with boron particles. It was marketed as the SP-2000 in the USA and the Cronos in the UK.
Interesting. Something to setup a search alert on. If it's interesting, here's a snap of the BB shell showing the serials stamping and sizing sticker (56cm?!) which could only be CTC if valid because I normally fit ideally in the 59cm range +/- 1cm either direction depending on crank & stem involved.
Old 08-06-20, 01:50 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

After chatting with phenry24 about this earlier, I forgot I'd meant to put up more pics. I eventualy got around to replacing the hoods, re-wrapping the bars to ditch the barfy cow tape, and got rid of those chunktastic pedals for the lightest platform-ish pedals I could find for quick unlocked rides.

I've eventually gotta get off my ass and switch out the FD for one of the other Mavic units I have stashed away. All I've got is braze-on, but I've got some adapters, so .... I guess that's what's going to happen!

Likes For francophile:
Old 08-06-20, 04:15 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
That bike seems like a bit of a sleeper, I wouldn't know how good the frame was just by looking, even as it is a decent-looking bike.

Finding a picture of a pro riding one of these back in the day would quickly alter our perception(?).

Reminds me that I still have one of those 753 main-tubed Technium "Team" bikes from 1991 that I haven't ridden in quite a while.
It has the distinction of being the lowest-priced 1991 production bike having full Dura-Ace STI, (sold for $1999.00).
The original owner bought it for the parts group apparently, sold me the like-new frame/fork for $100 iir.
It became one of my first two STI-equipped builds, the other being a late-60's PX10.
Likes For dddd:
Old 08-07-20, 09:06 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by dddd
That bike seems like a bit of a sleeper, I wouldn't know how good the frame was just by looking, even as it is a decent-looking bike.

Finding a picture of a pro riding one of these back in the day would quickly alter our perception(?).

Reminds me that I still have one of those 753 main-tubed Technium "Team" bikes from 1991 that I haven't ridden in quite a while.
It has the distinction of being the lowest-priced 1991 production bike having full Dura-Ace STI, (sold for $1999.00).
The original owner bought it for the parts group apparently, sold me the like-new frame/fork for $100 iir.
It became one of my first two STI-equipped builds, the other being a late-60's PX10.
Funny you mention price, when I saw what this SP was going for back in the day, I remember doing a double-take. I've seen a couple of MSRP listed, one being near $3k for the first year it was made, the other one lower, closer to the MSRP for the '91 Team bikes. Seemed outlandish either way, especially if you convert that to today's dollar amount. Dollar today with inflation is worth almost 2x what it was then.

What I will say is this: I didn't think much of it at purchase, I just assumed I'd clean and flip for a couple c-notes profit after swapping out the Mavic for some Shimano to match the brakes and headset. When I saw the 753 and 631 stickers and felt how light it was with the owner's choice of gear, it raised an eyebrow. There's nothing visually attractive about it, the colors are great, the paint is typical for the era. But I wish there was a pic of me after checking grease, tuning and riding it, I must've been smiling ear to ear. It is an extremely enjoyable bike to ride. If I were forced to get rid of all but 3 of my bikes, this would absolutely be one of the keepers.

Old 04-24-23, 01:36 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,491 Posts
another worthy of resurection.

is for sale if any readers are interested.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...35244952507925
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 04-25-23, 09:07 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
is for sale if any readers are interested.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...35244952507925
Nice bike
Old 06-12-23, 02:17 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Another SP1000

We get quite a few nice bikes donated each year, before and after our cross state run (Ragbrai)
This one came in last year with 8 run rings on it so it has been well used. The components were stripped, and the frame/fork hung in the rafters. Later it was looked at a few times but the bubbling paint on the lugs was deemed an issue, making it a scrap frame. From sweat to winter salted roads, we scrap a lot of alum frames for corrosion issues. Luckily this one is just alum lugs that seem fine.
I grabbed this frame and have peeled back the paint on the lugs to see if the corrosion goes under the lugs and it does not.
So....
This bike will live again. It will be a complete custom job starting with a strip and powder coat.
I'm thinking single ring 9spd SRAM and using several carbon parts. I've got a Threadless carbon fork I'll try on it.
A complete cobb salad bike.

I'll have some of these decals reproduced to keep provenance.