Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SR Triathalon Bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

SR Triathalon Bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 12:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

You just dashed my plans!
+1, though I'd rather use the voltage for a boat....
Old 08-07-20, 01:01 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
SR Triathlon vs Maxima

Up post it says the SR Triathalon is the same bike as the Maxima, and that the Triathalon name was used in 1983 and switched to Maxima in 1984.

We have an SR Maxima here that was made in 1983 according to the serial number.

Thanks to all the great info posted on SR, the Maxima/Triathalon frame is a magic fit for this rider.

Note that the Semi Pro came in 53, 55 and 57 cm, where as the Maxima came in a 56 cm.
Old 08-07-20, 02:01 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
Up post it says the SR Triathalon is the same bike as the Maxima, and that the Triathalon name was used in 1983 and switched to Maxima in 1984.

We have an SR Maxima here that was made in 1983 according to the serial number.

Thanks to all the great info posted on SR, the Maxima/Triathalon frame is a magic fit for this rider.

Note that the Semi Pro came in 53, 55 and 57 cm, where as the Maxima came in a 56 cm.
It was common practice for manufacturers to start building the new models around September, to allow for inventory build-up, trans-oceanic shipping, customs clearance, distribution, etc. That date wasn't cast in stone and we've lots of cases where new model manufacturing commenced even earlier. So, having 1984 model that was built in 1983 is no surprise.
Old 08-07-20, 11:06 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I have long been curious as to the development of triathlon-specific frame geometry.

I have early-to-mid '80's triathlon bikes like the Bridgestone Grand Velo 4000, a MacSteel-tubed Polchlopek, and a Zunow, and all three feature very short top tubes with very steep seat tube angle and very slack head tube angle.
These don't handle well with the longer stem length that I require to fit these bikes.

And I have a Bridgestone "Triathlon Al" that's from ~1982 that has bog-standard road racing geometry.

I also noticed that when Peugeot redesigned the U08-9-10 models with Carbolite frames in 1979 that they definitely steepened the ST angle and made the HT angle slacker. I felt this was for the better on these bikes, as the bikes felt more sporting and were more sporting during spirited riding.

Last edited by dddd; 08-07-20 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 01:20 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
There is a post upstream about steeper seat angles being better or Triathletes, having to do with a more quad orientated pedal stroke.

Since these athletes run a lot, they tend to develop muscles a little differently than a pure cyclist.

Having a frame that suits your muscle culture can mean less pain.

Ever notice how it hurts to go from a road bike to a mountain bike?

I would have thought that a Triathalon bike would use touring angles to make the rider more comfortable and to also provide a more stable geometry for a tired rider.
Old 08-08-20, 09:48 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
There is a post upstream about steeper seat angles being better or Triathletes, having to do with a more quad orientated pedal stroke.

Since these athletes run a lot, they tend to develop muscles a little differently than a pure cyclist.

Having a frame that suits your muscle culture can mean less pain.

Ever notice how it hurts to go from a road bike to a mountain bike?

I would have thought that a Triathalon bike would use touring angles to make the rider more comfortable and to also provide a more stable geometry for a tired rider.
While a rider might be quite tired after coming out of the water, and the forward ST angle better supports harder pedaling when the bike has a rode bar on it, for these triathletes I believe that aerodynamics plays a bigger part in preferring the steeper seat tube.
With the rider's lower body thus tilted forward, the rider then doesn't have to bend as sharply at the waist in order to achieve a very low upper-body position, which allows greater sustained power while also staying well tucked out of the air stream.

In fitting myself to some larger-framed road bikes over the years, I have often moved the saddle forward in order to preserve a reasonably "tight" span from saddle to handlebar. I found this quite beneficial to my power/aero balance as long as my pedaing intensity was high enough to keep to much weight from falling on my arms and as long as my neck didn't tire from having to look more upward. The steering stability is also improved (versus using a shorter stem to preserve a tight reach span to the bars) because more weight falls on the front wheel.
Old 10-04-22, 12:15 PM
Afischer70
Afischer1970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=sdn40;20827819]Go say "nice bike" 3 times in other threads. Is it that hard ? It's set up this way to stop the posting of spam. And maybe a bit to stop the one and done people wanting to know about a bike they want to flip and never come back. You've already been told it's a bike that's not well known, and goes for modest prices, therefore when you consider selling on ebay, shipping costs, along with the money you will have to stick in it, it's probably a losing proposition. If you're looking to snag a quick $200, it's just not there no matter how many pics you post[/QUOTE

You don't have to be rude about it. I was just asking a question and how was I suppose to know to post "nice bike" 3 times in other threads.