Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help Sourcing a replacement fork for Peugeot

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-06-20, 05:59 PM
CarbonBone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If anyone can assist me or point me in the right direction for finding a replacement fork for this Peugeot, it'd be greatly appreciated.
The one currently installed is bent and causes the bike to pull to the left.
So far my search has led me to understand that the generation of bikes that came after this one all had chrome forks. Those forks
can apparently be retrofitted onto these bikes.

This is a Peugeot "Course"
Length of steerer is approx. 6.5 inches
Length of fork from steerer is 16 inches
overall length approx. 22 inches

Thanks
Old 08-06-20, 07:04 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
If you have any frame shops reasonably close take it there for a repair estimate and compare the cost with finding a used one that may end up being less than perfect for the same price. If none are nearby contact this place. Yellow Jersey, Service Never used them myself but they have been recommended by several very experienced mechanics on this forum.
Old 08-06-20, 07:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
Also read about rake & trail so as not to upset the handling with an incorrect fork. Brake reach, steerer diameter, axle to crown dimensions, threading (French/English/Italian/Raleigh) wheel/tire size also come into finding a fork.

https://calfeedesign.com/geometry-of-bike-handling/
Old 08-06-20, 08:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ned-today.html
Old 08-06-20, 08:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
I'll just add the counter point on whether the bike is worth investing in if it's the wrong size. I note the extremely low saddle height... Andy
Old 08-06-20, 09:06 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Size has no impact on the feasibility of repair. You really only want to compare the cost to straighten the fork vs. the cost and research required to replace it with one of the right geometry. If the bike is the wrong size, you can sell it, but that doesn't mean it's not worth investing in. If anything, the prospect of selling it, in the current "COVID tax" market, makes a repair even MORE worthwhile.

This looks like something right up the alley of Andy at Yellow Jersey. And if it really is only the fork, it would probably be cost-effective to ship it.
Old 08-07-20, 01:25 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I'd look into having a frame shop straighten the fork for you.

Finding a replacement fork probably won't be a simple task... It's a French bike.

French bikes are weird.

French bikes had different standards for threading, size, and such than everyone else, so most forks wont fit the headset, the stem wouldn't fit the fork even if you replaced the headset along with the fork, and then after you put the new stem into the new fork and new headset, the bars won't fit the stem. The good news is, that after you've replaced the fork, headset, stem and bars, the brake levers should fit the new bars. I think.

I don't think there was a French standard for handlebar tape, but that's only because they couldn't figure out a way to do it.

French bikes are weird.

You might want to cross-post this to the Classic & Vintage forum. Lots of knowledgeable Francophiles over there.

--Shannon

Last edited by ShannonM; 08-07-20 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-07-20, 06:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by madpogue
Size has no impact on the feasibility of repair. You really only want to compare the cost to straighten the fork vs. the cost and research required to replace it with one of the right geometry. If the bike is the wrong size, you can sell it, but that doesn't mean it's not worth investing in. If anything, the prospect of selling it, in the current "COVID tax" market, makes a repair even MORE worthwhile.

This looks like something right up the alley of Andy at Yellow Jersey. And if it really is only the fork, it would probably be cost-effective to ship it.
I guess I am trained to service the customer before the bike. Andy
Old 08-07-20, 08:45 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
the bike appears to be of 1980s origin which makes things tricky as Peugeot was transitioning
from all French threading and diameters to English for the USA market. also is it pulling left only
bcuz of the fork or does the frame need to aligned? or is it just the front wheel? best to take it to
an established /knowledgeable shop.
Old 08-07-20, 09:00 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I guess I am trained to service the customer before the bike. Andy
So you sell the customer a different bike. And doom this one to the scrap heap over a bent fork?
Old 08-07-20, 11:31 AM
CarbonBone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The size is fine for me, I've been meaning to raise the seat a bit, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 08-07-20, 11:39 AM
CarbonBone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is a visible bend in the fork starting from the crown when you look down at it from the handle bars. When I adjust the fork so it appears totally straight, the wheel is cocked slightly to the right, so when I'm riding without my hands on the bars, the bike immediately starts to pull left.
Old 08-07-20, 07:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

So you sell the customer a different bike. And doom this one to the scrap heap over a bent fork?
I didn't say that, Why would you assume I wanted to sell a bike? To clarify when I assess a bike for service I feel the need to include the customer's intent and their acceptance of that bike, not just the market value compared to the repair cost (although that is just one evaluation we talk about, the others being a different used bike and the possible service on that one as well as a new bike's cost. We find giving our customer a few views of how to evaluate their position means better decisions and less after payment {for whatever if at all} regrets). So when I see a possible too large or small bike that is brought in for possible service I feel the need to bring that up. There are times when this situation is no problem. But there are times when it is a big (pun) issue. As a retail shop we have an obligation to look out for the customer's safety, even if they don't. Those who have owned their own shop know what I talk of. Those who do under the table work likely less so. Andy (knowing that last comment might stir up a hornet's nest)
Old 08-07-20, 08:06 PM
madpogue 

I didn't say that, Why would you assume I wanted to sell a bike?
There is no such assumption. You wrote:
I'll just add the counter point on whether the bike is worth investing in if it's the wrong size.
This implies that a wrong-sized bike shouldn't be repaired, even if to be used by another person.

As it turns out (the OP cross-posted another thread), the OP got the fork straightened out, and reports being happy with the size, and intends to raise the saddle.
Old 08-07-20, 08:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

There is no such assumption. You wrote:
This implies that a wrong-sized bike shouldn't be repaired, even if to be used by another person.

As it turns out (the OP cross-posted another thread), the OP got the fork straightened out, and reports being happy with the size, and intends to raise the saddle.
Yes I read of the OP's intention to raise the saddle. But my point is who pays for the repair? The one who will ride the bike or someone else? I wasn't trying to say this bike should not be serviced, just whether a rider who understands it's not the best choice for them might not want to be the person who pays for the repair. As a shop service guy I feel the obligation to have this talk with the rider before continuing. Why is this principle so hard to grasp? Andy
Old 08-07-20, 08:33 PM
madpogue 

I wasn't trying to say this bike should not be serviced
But that's, in a nutshell, what your statement implied, intention notwithstanding.
Why is this principle so hard to grasp?
It's not. It's also irrelevant to my statement. I wrote nothing about whether to review an owner's fit. But there's a world of difference between inquiring about a bike's size appropriateness and questioning whether it's worth investing it at all. Is that principle so hard to grasp?
Old 08-07-20, 08:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

But that's, in a nutshell, what your statement implied, intention notwithstanding.
It's not. It's also irrelevant to my statement. I wrote nothing about whether to review an owner's fit. But there's a world of difference between inquiring about a bike's size appropriateness and questioning whether it's worth investing it at all. Is that principle so hard to grasp?
I guess it's about one's need to turn a service buck and one's need to help a customer make a wise decision. I think I've expressed my views well enough so feel free to continue here but i'm done. Andy