Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2017 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2017 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 09:35 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCharm
I'm in the early stages of planning a loop from Saint Albans VT -> Montreal -> Quebec City -> Saint Albans VT. Obviously I'd spend nights at towns in between, but those would the major waypoints. I'll take the Amtrak Vermonter from DC with my bike. My other idea had been to leave a week or so earlier than the spouse to meet the rest of the family on the Outer Banks of NC. But I think I'd prefer this loop through Canada. I'm hoping I can budget about 10 days of riding, which should give me time for exploration and a rest day or two, should I decide I want/need them. I'm thinking of mid-to-late August.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done similar to this route.

The most I've done is two nights away from home on my bike, so this will be a big advance for me. I live in an apartment with not a lot of storage, so I'm looking at the viability of credit card touring in inns/motels vs. acquiring a tent, etc. for camping. I'm not sure I'd be ready for wild/stealth camping at this point, so I'd want to utilize campgrounds.

I'm busy now looking at route ideas -- there are a few choices to be made. First off, should I take the route as I stated it? Or reverse it and make my way from VT to Quebec City first? Regardless of that, it seems that most who ride between Montreal and Quebec City ride on the north side of the St. Lawrence River -- I'd call it the west side, but when I visited Montreal they seem to prefer north/south designations. Anyhoo, any thoughts here appreciated.
Me and friends did a mini credit card tour starting and ending in St Albans in July 2015. We left our cars at a B&B rode north on the Missisquoi rail trail then to Sutton QC, then over to St Jean Sur Richelieu for 2 days then back to Saint Albans. Last year we did an organized tour around the eastern Townships and also rode through Montreal. This year we are going back to do a 400+ mile loop starting in Montreal and going northeast to Mont Laurier then south to Ottawa then back to Montreal. I agree with others about reservations, on all of these tours I made reservations in advance and planned each days ride. This does take away the spontaneity and I'm not sure it was always warranted but some nights on each of these tours some of the hotels were full. Don't let that stop you, this area is some of the finest riding I've ever done, drivers are extremely friendly and courteous , bike paths galore, fantastic food.Sorry I can't help with Quebec City though I haven't made it further north than Saint Gregoire. The roadss and paths shown on Route Vert are good ones to follow or at least a good starting point.
Old 02-09-17, 06:31 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just planned my second tour of 2017. I did this last year on my cross country ride but I had tendonitis really bad in my left ankle and didn't enjoy it at all. That and I did it in May and the weather was really bad. This time I'll leave Missoula on July 5th and head through Darby, Wisdom, Dillon and West Yellowstone. From there I'll make a loop through Yellowstone & Grand Teton NP before ending my ride back in West Yellowstone. Will catch the Greyhound to Missoula to start and from Bozeman at the end.

First things first though; Leaving for the Southern Tier on Wednesday.

The map is a rough drawing of the route I'll take.

Old 02-10-17, 10:34 AM
rmflood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Five of us are planning a trip from Pittsburgh to DC in September to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project. We'll range in age from the mid 20's to age 69 (me). We plan on camping along the trail and doing the route in 6 days, which means about 55 to 60 miles a day. There will be a lot of training for all of us. We all ride, but not this many miles in 6 days touring. Should be a lot of fun and for a great cause.
Old 02-10-17, 10:50 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rmflood
Five of us are planning a trip from Pittsburgh to DC in September to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project. We'll range in age from the mid 20's to age 69 (me). We plan on camping along the trail and doing the route in 6 days, which means about 55 to 60 miles a day. There will be a lot of training for all of us. We all ride, but not this many miles in 6 days touring. Should be a lot of fun and for a great cause.
Easy, you have lots of time.
Last spring I "trained" for my first long tour with the intention of 100km/day (62.5m). Ride each Saturday with your bags loaded, working your way up to 60 miles each week-end. Also, you will have the bike dialed in.
Enjoy a fun/safe trip.

-Snuts-
Old 02-17-17, 04:09 AM
kellyon
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I going to France this year. I've already found where to stay. I want to cycle from Paris to Lyon with my good friend. I've never been in Paris before. Hope it will be great trip
Old 02-18-17, 06:20 PM
Talkinghalls

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother and I are going to tour 5 different state parks here in Indiana. We are planning this in late September/early October, its about 300 miles and we are doing it in 5-6 days.

Neither of us have done anything like this before so it'll be quite the experience!

Potato Creek State park
41.1 miles
Tippecanoe River State park
59.2 miles
Prophetstown state park
65.4 miles
Mississinewa Lake
69.7 miles
Chain O Lakes State Park
65.9 miles
Potato Creek State Park
END
Old 02-19-17, 11:13 PM
Yinkgo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most likely Croatia.
Old 03-05-17, 05:32 PM
badnav

Bikes: Co-Motion Pangea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done a few supported tours but this year going solo!

1) In April will go on first ever self-contained tour. Intro to Road Touring by Adventure Cycling Assoication in the Florida panhandle.
2) In July, going from Spokane,WA to Whitefish, MT self-contained (riding the Coeur d'Alene, Route of Hiawatha, and Oylmpian trails, Go-to-the-Sun Road) then going on Cycle the Divide Montana fully supported tour then to Missoula, MT.

Last edited by badnav; 03-05-17 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 06:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by badnav
Done a few supported tours but this year going solo!

2) In July, going from Spokane,WA to Whitefish, MT self-contained (riding the Coeur d'Alene, Route of Hiawatha, and Oylmpian trails, Go-to-the-Sun Road) then going on Cycle the Divide Montana fully supported tour then to Missoula, MT.
My Montana and Idaho route planned for June incorporates the Olympian and NorPac trails along with some of the Trail of the CdL (to Wallace, ID). BTW... Some of the Olympian IIRC, between Saltese and Haugan) may not be rideable due to private land issues.

Eventually heading north and then east to Glacier. I am starting from Missoula on June 18th, so Logan Pass may not be open when I get there. Lots of snow there this year. We shall see.

Here is the entire route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19192705
Old 03-05-17, 07:27 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I just finished a 10 day tour of New Zealand North Island central hinterland, unfortunately the tour was cut short when I had a bicycle gear failure leading to a crash at 35-40 km/h resulting in a broken front tooth and 10+ stitches. On my next time-off period I plan to complete the tour by travelling Stratford - Waitaanga - Whakahoro - Taihape - Hastings - not too sure about whether to proceed north or south after this point. I have definitely experienced a new lease of life with touring recently, in particular the backroads of New Zealands' north island, partially due to my purchase of a motorcycle and travelling these same roads using that method, and then deciding to return for a closer, slower look.
Old 03-09-17, 01:12 PM
alix.youngblood

Bikes: 2014 Novara Randonee, 1985 Peugeot P6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going from Vancouver to San Fransisco! Starting in late May (and possibly climbing Mt. Rainier as a little precursor).

Still looking for touring buddies if anyone is interested
Old 03-09-17, 05:11 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
I am planning for the Katy and the Baja Divide.

If I can get the right bike for the job.
Old 03-10-17, 05:20 PM
IceFox

Bikes: Scout TerraMan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year I gonna attempt to achieve my dreams, touring along the Danube river 1800mi (2800km) with my two friends, and shoot a mini TV series that will be called "Danube Cycle Path".

I just started my Indiegogo campaign if you wanna see more information, and promo video. If all goes according to plan, the show will be broadcast on national TV in my country, but will also be available on youtube with English dubbed and with subtitles.

The journey begins May 25 in Germany (Donaueschingen), and if anyone wants to join us, let us know

But this is only the beginning of something much bigger

Last edited by IceFox; 03-10-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 02:17 AM
leanneg

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be leaving in the second week of June on a tour-of-indeterminate-length . Anchorage, Alaska (my home), to Argentina. Or to wherever I run out of money, whichever comes first, lol. I have no idea how long it'll take, but probably at least 18 months, and it could take quite a bit longer. I'm not in any hurry, which is good since I'll be riding a Big Fat Dummy. Solo - just me and the monster bike. I'm planning to ride the GDMBR and the Baja Divide along the way.

It's gonna be fun!
Old 03-24-17, 04:53 AM
Mri G.

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting tomorrow! Ahhhhh!
Old 03-26-17, 09:10 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Still want to ride Colombia this year. Planning logistics and shooting for Early September. Would like to ride from Bogota to Medellin. What's stopping me? I don't know Spanish.
Old 03-30-17, 11:13 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flying to Mexico in April (2 months) with main event being in Guatemala (6 months). Kinda of a hybrid tour/MTB'ing/hiking/learning Spanish/live in Guatemala for awhile trip
Old 03-31-17, 09:32 AM
Robbiehunter5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
London to Rome via Portsmouth, St Malo, Orleans, Lyon, Nice, Corscia islands and into Italy.

Fingers crossed, either that or London to Shetland islands.
Old 04-02-17, 08:03 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of very sweet trips on this post. For me: a bunch of overnighters here in Oregon and the Florida Keys. Hope to retire (again) January 2018.
Old 04-05-17, 08:32 PM
lulubell

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm setting out to do 2+ weeks on ACA's Atlantic Coast route, starting around May 1, heading south from the Mason-Dixon line. Super stoked as it will be my first bike tour ever. I have plenty of camping/hiking/travel experience and have always loved biking so I think the odds are in my favor.

Last edited by lulubell; 04-10-17 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 01:32 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
If the gods are willing, Twin Falls, Idaho to Homestead, Florida, via the southern route across the country.
Old 04-06-17, 02:02 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
leaving tomorrow back to this place....

https://stefanrohner.exposure.co/sierra-de-cazorla

Old 04-10-17, 05:14 AM
travel ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John o' Groats to Lands End

Hi there. Hoping to ride from John o' Groats to Lands End in the UK this August. However, rather than taking the quickest way, I've decided to plan a longer route so I can see more of the country side. This route is about 2,040 km in length and I will be averaging about 130 km a day allowing myself plenty of time for stops and taking photos (and eating and drinking of course).

Cheers
Warren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JOGLE.jpg (19.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-10-17, 10:16 AM
suburbanbeat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Free time will be pretty limited this year, but I hope to do a short tour from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. to the Poconos Mountains. The route that I am working on is here.

On the back burner is a 1-2 week jaunt in the American southwest, perhaps in the four corners area. I've been toying with the idea of designing a tour specifically around stargazing, riding through areas and at times well-suited for that. I'm thinking Four Corners.
Old 04-10-17, 10:56 AM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Twenty-five days until departure for the first tour of the year.

The route is getting dialed: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19991687

And the new bike for it was brought home yesterday and commuted on today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.