Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

AD ISSUES: popups/hijacks -- PLEASE INCLUDE SCREEN SHOT

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

AD ISSUES: popups/hijacks -- PLEASE INCLUDE SCREEN SHOT

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 03:59 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Virus pages and adware associated with this site

About 50% of the time when I come to bike forms on my Android phone all of a sudden it vibrates and a message pops up. The message varies it's never the same thing. Sometimes it says I'm infected with viruses or malware and sometimes it brings up a Facebook style page that says I'm the winner of something. Bike forums is the only web page that this ever happens on. So I really don't think my phone is the problem I think it's something to do with this website. Does anyone else ever experienced this or does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?
Old 02-17-17, 04:00 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I've never had any such problems here.
Old 02-17-17, 04:03 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Yes, I get it periodically. Only on Android, I think one of the ad servers has spamware ads.
Old 02-17-17, 04:09 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by gsa103
Yes, I get it periodically. Only on Android, I think one of the ad servers has spamware ads.
Well I figured it was something on the site but I wasn't sure. It doesn't happen on any other website just on bike forums.
Old 02-17-17, 04:14 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing with my Android. I have won like 50 prizes already from some strange site.

I don't even bother looking at this site on my smart phone.
Old 02-17-17, 04:16 PM
kbarj

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get security malware "warnings" from time to time on my Macbook when previewing a response. I almost posted about it last week.
Old 02-17-17, 04:17 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just use a browser with an adblocker plugin?
Old 02-17-17, 04:20 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Why not just use a browser with an adblocker plugin?
I never researched it. Firefox? Which browser would you recommend. I am surprised chrome doesn't have it.
Old 02-17-17, 04:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
https://adblockplus.org/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...namgkkbiglidom
Old 02-17-17, 04:37 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Had this problem on android chrome a month or two back. Try the following:

Tap the 3 dots in the top right then:
Settings
Data saver ON

And then
Privacy and set
Safe browsing ON
Do not track ON
Old 02-17-17, 05:21 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I use firefox and it happens a few times a day on my computer, only on this site. Its annoying when it happens while im typing a reply, but iv gotten used to it lol They seem to be getting worse though - Usually I could just hit the back button, but now iv been having to shut down some times because it gets stuck on them. I have protection and blocking but it doesn't work with these.
Old 02-17-17, 06:05 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
I never researched it. Firefox? Which browser would you recommend. I am surprised chrome doesn't have it.
I don't usually access this site by phone, but when I do, I'm using Firefox, and I have the adblocking addon called "uBlock Origin". I like it better than the old "adblocker".

Some, or even most of this could be due to "Push Notifications" being "on". So make sure those are "off".

Having this set up, I'm not suffering any hostile actions when using this site from my phone.

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 02-17-17 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 06:28 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
For slightly more than 3 cents a day you could have an ad free experience for the computer users. Just buy a membership. It helps support the site, you get an ad free experience and you get to sell things in the marketplace.

Of course adblockers work but I spend a lot of time here and I think I owe it to the community to support them.

For the phone users, that can't be fun. I have only tried viewing on the phone twice and it wasn't a great experience.
Old 02-17-17, 06:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I go through phases of seeing those popups on my mobile devices but usually those are screened out.

The current version of the Silk browser for the Kindle tablets works well with bike forums' mobile view. No problems or complaints. The desktop view is too awkward from the mobile devices -- tiny text, lots of zooming and scrolling, and that's where the popups occur.

But there are no effective extensions, plug-ins or add-ons for Silk, so you're dependent on Amazon keeping the browser updated and free of malware and unwanted ads. You will see lots of Amazon ads, of course, but that's fine with me.

Firefox Aurora for Android works pretty well too. Only gripe I have is there's no auto-update option so I have to manually install the daily updates. Takes about 15 seconds. Lots of add-ons for Firefox.

Puffin for Android is very fast but quirky. By itself it doesn't block all ads and popups. Mostly it presents the desktop view on a mobile device, which is often awkward. I mostly use Puffin only for viewing links from Facebook.
Old 02-17-17, 07:13 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It is definitely a problem on this site. I solely use a computer laptop. I regularly get this page interrupted by a "microsoft" warning page that basically says I have a serious virus. The only way to stop or x the page is to check a box that says "do not repeat" but you have to do it quickly because the voice and page keeps reloading....When this happens you have to totally x out the page or you cannot even do that from the taskbar...
I was waiting for a thread on this to pop up. And yes it only happens on this site...Apparently all devices are effected...

Lol...Russia in no way is responsible for this lol...
Old 02-17-17, 07:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Thread moved to Forum Suggestions and User Assistance forum.
Old 02-17-17, 07:36 PM
dcmac

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firefox with NoScript in addition to Adblock Plus. Also, block Pop-ups in Firefox options.
Old 02-17-17, 09:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This site is run with ad revenue. Blocking ads is not condoned by the staff and owners, they've said it many times. The only responsible way to get rid of the ads is to buy a MEMBERSHIP.

When you pay your ISP each month, you are paying for ACCESS, not the sites. If you were paying them for sites it would cost a trillion bucks. The internet is not cable TV, nor could it be with another zillion sites available with typing and a click.

And I've tried Adblock Plus to see if it was any good...It didn't work very well, blocked next to nothing. They had to change it to appease large advertisers who would have otherwise shut them down. And how it really solves ad problems that it cannot necessarily overcome puzzles me and why it somehow fits with the others does as well.

The best advice I can come with otherwise is still stop using whatever you get this stuff with. The old it hurts when I do this...well stop doing that joke. Still true. At least for a while until everyone, not just this site/vBulletin gets it figured out.

The NoScript and blocking popups sound fine to me, although I jut do not have this problem on a Windows 7 PC and IE (but then again I also have a premium membership). Not a broken record.
Old 02-17-17, 09:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyinTheRide
It is definitely a problem on this site. I solely use a computer laptop. I regularly get this page interrupted by a "microsoft" warning page that basically says I have a serious virus. The only way to stop or x the page is to check a box that says "do not repeat" but you have to do it quickly because the voice and page keeps reloading....When this happens you have to totally x out the page or you cannot even do that from the taskbar...
I was waiting for a thread on this to pop up. And yes it only happens on this site...Apparently all devices are effected...

Lol...Russia in no way is responsible for this lol...

Those lock screen virus warning things use ActiveX?, Java and/or Flash and disabling either/both should help. They get more sophisticated as you go along but antivirus does tend to catch some of them as they come out. The problem is that I don't think most people think to report them...In IE the URL of the exploit page is sitting right there I history for you to copy and not only report to Microsoft but to your scanner if you can as well as using the Security tab in Internet options and clicking Restricted sites to add it to your blacklist...there surely are ways to do something similar in other browsers...
Old 02-17-17, 10:24 PM
IamNed

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Sempre Pro, 1995 Bianchi Premio, 2014 Bianchi Pista Fixed Gear, 1994 Bianchi Timber Wolf

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well weird, I've been getting the "you have a virus or something" lock screen and the voice, and have to Ctrl-Alt-Del then end task. The weird thing is I was unaware of a membership, and viewing site on my iPad I don't initially see the option of getting a membership. Which I will gladly do. I don't view the site any longer, or as little as possible, on my laptop due to the "your computer is infected" message.

So if I buy a membership I won't get the infected computer message and can use my laptop for this site again?
Old 02-17-17, 10:35 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like the ad service is serving up some that violates our agreement. If you post a screenshot of the offending ad(s), then IB will know exactly which ones that need to be pulled.

As far as the use of ad blockers goes, IB (the site owners) frowns on them. BF generates for more revenue through ads than membership premiums and it would be kinda hard to entice advertisers if we condoned the use of ad blockers.

For now, I imagine it is pretty much a honor system on not using ad blockers, but I imagine that eventually those using ad block will be prompted to disable in order to view vids or pics (already being done on other sites that I've visited).
Old 02-17-17, 11:03 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by no1mad
Sounds like the ad service is serving up some that violates our agreement. If you post a screenshot of the offending ad(s), then IB will know exactly which ones that need to be pulled.

As far as the use of ad blockers goes, IB (the site owners) frowns on them. BF generates for more revenue through ads than membership premiums and it would be kinda hard to entice advertisers if we condoned the use of ad blockers.

For now, I imagine it is pretty much a honor system on not using ad blockers, but I imagine that eventually those using ad block will be prompted to disable in order to view vids or pics (already being done on other sites that I've visited).
This site has become my main bike forums site on the internet although I am a member of several. I used to be a regular and posted quite heavily on the mountain bike forums at mtbr.com. I'm sure they have to generate money off of advertisements too. But not once have I ever experienced this stuff going on when I'm on their site. Nor do I experience it when I'm on the bike packing.net site or any other site like that. It is just this site. But since this site seems to serve my main interests I will keep coming back. I only brought this topic up in the very beginning because I wanted to know if there was something going on with my phone or if it was really this site (which I truly believed was the problem). And after hearing so many of these other replies from everyone else I think I have confirmed that it is this website that is the problem.
Old 02-18-17, 01:05 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
This site has become my main bike forums site on the internet although I am a member of several. I used to be a regular and posted quite heavily on the mountain bike forums at mtbr.com. I'm sure they have to generate money off of advertisements too. But not once have I ever experienced this stuff going on when I'm on their site. Nor do I experience it when I'm on the bike packing.net site or any other site like that. It is just this site. But since this site seems to serve my main interests I will keep coming back. I only brought this topic up in the very beginning because I wanted to know if there was something going on with my phone or if it was really this site (which I truly believed was the problem). And after hearing so many of these other replies from everyone else I think I have confirmed that it is this website that is the problem.
Don't worry! There is a way to escape the psychopathic abuse! But it's going to cost you$!$
Old 02-18-17, 01:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Several times tonight I've experimented with disabling and re-enabling ABP and customizing filters to allow some ads while blocking only those that make response sluggish.

But there doesn't seem to be any way to allow only some ads. It's all or none. With any ads enabled the response is miserably slow. There's a lag that delays each keystroke appearing in the comment box. The lag is often about one second via my desktop PC hardwired to the landline DSL. It's much slower on the laptop via wifi, as much as 10 seconds lag before text appears after typing.

I'm not sure what the problem or solution is. I visit other phpBB based forums that run ads and don't experience this problem. They also run Amazon and Google Syndication ads, but it doesn't seem to bog everything down.

I've tried custom filters to allow certain ads (Amazon, Nashbar, Jenson USA, etc) but this doesn't help Bike Forums because all ads are served through Google Syndication, doubleclick, etc.

And I've tried blocking, for example, only the ads that pop up in the middle of a thread. But it doesn't help. Again, it's all or none and the banner and sidebar ads are blocked too.

I'd like to figure out a way to support reasonably configured targeted ads. I don't object to ads, although I prefer targeted ads with filters to opt out of irrelevant or objectionable ads. It's just the incredibly sluggish response when I don't use ABP. And I don't encounter this problem on other sites.
Old 02-18-17, 07:08 AM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok I refuse to ride my bike until this problem gets fixed lol...(please fix this within 7 weeks by then Winter will be over) lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.