Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Honjo Turtle 58 Fender on a 650b x 48mm ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-19, 12:29 PM
esteward

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with fitting the "Honjo Turtle 58" onto a 650x48 tire? The SimWorks site lists the largest tire size this fender can accommodate is 43mm. I wonder if a larger tire is possible with some adjusting?

Or, does anyone have a hammered fender they would recommend for a 650bx48mm tire?
Old 09-04-19, 12:52 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
People hate measuring and manufacturers' recommendations.
Old 09-04-19, 12:57 PM
esteward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, totally. I am assuming someone out there has to have played around with this fender on a wider tire.
Old 09-04-19, 03:56 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I use the Turtle 58 650 on a 26x2.0. I would not go any higher at all.

The difference between 622 and 584 is 38mm, which is greater than the difference between 584 and 559 (25mm).

If you get the 700c version, you will probably be fine. I'm 99% certain that the 650 version will not work.

I you want to go wider, just get the flat 65s.
Old 09-05-19, 12:58 PM
esteward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The largest hammered fender I have found is the GrandBois Fenders GB650ML Hammered (650×42B), made by Honjo, which measure 58mm wide. Assuming that each side-droop measure ~3mm wide, this would leave roughly 52 mm of inside width. Hopefully, that will be enough space to accommodate a 48mm wide tire with some minor adjusting.

These seem to only be available from a Japanese site: grandbois(dot)jp
Old 08-05-20, 11:47 AM
rudiv

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GrandBois GB650ML with 48mm tires

Older thread but I have recent experience here. I have a set of the GrandBois GB650ML Hammered. I've been using them for the last year or so with Teravail Rampart tires. This is a slightly undersized "road plus" slick at a nominal 47mm. On my Velocity Atlas rims these netted out to about 45mm wide. These tires worked pretty well with no mods to the GrandBois fenders, though in the fall I'd occasionally get a leaf stuck up in there that rubbed annoyingly until I banged it out by bouncing the bike up and down. I've worn the Teravails out however and decided to try a different tire, the Ultradynamico cava JFFs, listed at 47.99mm.

The cavas rubbed a bit "out of the box" (or bag in their case), but after some massaging and remounting of the fenders over the last few days I've got them working with no rubbing, even when standing to hammer out a sprint. I had to spread the fenders a bit with my fingers to make them slightly wider, and get my fender mounting dead straight. The biggest mod was that I crimped the rolled edge down with a pair of pliers (covered in rubber so as not to mar), which gave me a few more mms on the edge. Looks fine from the outside, whether this messes with the rain channeling effect that many claim the rolled edge provides remains to be seen. As is there's still an edge of a mm or so there, so I doubt the performance will be effected that much. I've never been convinced that the rolled edge provides any performance enhancements at all frankly, so I'm not too worried about it.

Clearance from the top of the tire to the fender is roughly 10mm. The clearance issue is primarily with width to the fender edge on the side of the tire, not at the crown. Safety-wise, I run these with a pair of PDW safety tabs on the front fender, just in case. I'm skeptical of the "common wisdom" of having 20mm clearance so a stick doesn't get wedged in the front fender too frankly. Bigger gap just equals bigger stick no? I kind of think that a smaller gap will only allow for a smaller stick, which is more likely to be broken and ejected by the rotational force of the tire against the stronger fender. Of course I have no empirical data here, hence the added insurance of the safety tabs.

Anyway, that's all I have to report. Cheers.

Last edited by rudiv; 08-05-20 at 11:55 PM.
Likes For rudiv: