Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Smart Trainer Experiences / Preferred cycling app

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 03:46 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Greetings fellow riders, with the potential to restrict our activities, I'm now evaluating Smart Trainers. I would like a real riding experience, and direct drive (no back wheel) so I'm willing to look at the better featured models out there (of course, I'm still looking for a deal--- who isn't) I've settled on these three:

My notes on them follow each model.. .would like your experiences with them, and if you think the added cost of a NEO is worth the Pedal stroke analysis. I'd like to pick one up soon, but don't want to be in a hurry to get one.

The cycling apps I know of are: zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Rouvy,

1) TacX NEO 2 (2.5K,25%) I'm drawn to this one highest because it has a feature called, "Pedal Stroke Analysis" This could be hype, but I don't know. Is it worth an additional 300? It also has no handle, but it seems to have more features than any of the others I've read about in this price range, that isn't the 2T (which IS out of my price range)

2) SARIS H3 It's a bit less, has a little less topside (2K, 20%) doesn't have a skewer, has headless mode (ride with progressive resistance power curve , foldable, 9kg flywheel, does not come with cassette, 2 year warranty, beating the others.

3) WAHOO KICKR- SMART if it weren't for the fact that two of my riding buddies burned out them in high intensity workouts, lessened my interest in getting one of these (2.2, 20%). It comes with a cassette (pretty cheap, maybe, Sora or Tiagra?) 11-28. Compatible with many bike models. Pricey.

Thanks for your suggestions, fellow riders!
Old 04-07-20, 05:49 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
If you haven't already studied DC Rainmaker's smart trainer guide, I highly recommend it.

As far as my opinion on trainers, I recently considered those 3 and decided to get the Kickr.

The Neo 2t was too pricey for me. But the Neo 2 supposedly has some slippage issues and also some compatibility issues with certain frames, including mine.
The Neo 2 vibrates, so if feeling off-road stuff like cobbles on Zwift is important, it's the only one that does it. Pedaling analysis is probably not worth $300. You will not find much in the way of recommendations on how to use that data. My power meter pedals produces some numbers that I do nothing with. If I really wanted to improve pedaling technique, I'd ride my rollers.

The H3 is fine but usually considered 3rd place behind the Neo 2t and Kickr as the only thing it does better than its competition is Erg mode. It is somewhat cheaper after Saris lowered the MSRP.

The Kickr comes with a 11 speed cassette, so it's impossible that it would come from a low-end line. Mine came with a 105. The biggest advantage the Kickr has is product ecosystem, like support for the Kickr Climb. I looked at every trainer and they all had people with hardware reliability issues. Wahoo is generally considered to have some of the best support, which is good enough for me.

Bad news is that you missed your chance to get any of the trainers at a discount by days. Both REI and Clever Training were running 20% off one full-priced item for their members. I didn't use my discount on a trainer, taking advantage of Wahoo's sale to buy a reconditioned Kickr for $750 with full warranty. Given the uptick in trainer demand and disruption to manufacturing caused by a global pandemic, it may be a while before you see top tier trainer sales again.
Likes For surak:
Old 04-07-20, 06:08 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I use Rouvy, largely because it's the cheapest of the polished apps and it turns out load is load. The simulated courses are fun enough.

As for the trainers, I use an H1 (which is very similar to the H3). I have no real complaints, but if I were buying now I'd get a Neo 2T, no question.
Old 04-07-20, 07:10 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If you purchase the Tacx they have a free trial period of the training app that you might like. Most if not all have a free trial period so you can try them all. I use the Tacx/Garmin software because I like the riding in real life videos that they have. Breaks up the boredom and I am not training to be a world class athlete. I just wanted to monitor my metrics. Zwift is too animated for my liking but it is the number one training app that people use. The pedal stroke analyzer seems to work in the Tacx training app but I would double check that it can be used in the other apps like Zwift. The website wasn't that clear about it.

As for trainer, I did spring for the Neo 2T because I wanted the latest and greatest. It is pricey but with the shelter in place happening, I will get my money's worth. It does have the 25% gradients and the 2200 watts power threshold which is complete overkill for me but if you are strong this could be a feature. As you know with Tacx, you have to purchase a cassette or take the one off your rear wheel.

I think that you can't go wrong with any of the three you picked.
Old 04-07-20, 07:14 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Kicker here. i like it so far. have had it for about 1/2 a year now, bought it last summer on sale. it was an '18 model. paid maybe 7 or 8 hundred, cant recall.

from brandscycle.com

i read a lot of reviews and never came across one that indicated burning out the unit but i did read about shorting out the unit from probably an esd event partly caused by the power supply. wahoo has corrected that now.
Old 04-07-20, 08:39 PM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2
Greetings fellow riders, with the potential to restrict our activities, I'm now evaluating Smart Trainers. I would like a real riding experience, and direct drive (no back wheel) so I'm willing to look at the better featured models out there (of course, I'm still looking for a deal--- who isn't) I've settled on these three:

My notes on them follow each model.. .would like your experiences with them, and if you think the added cost of a NEO is worth the Pedal stroke analysis. I'd like to pick one up soon, but don't want to be in a hurry to get one.

The cycling apps I know of are: zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Rouvy,

1) TacX NEO 2 (2.5K,25%) I'm drawn to this one highest because it has a feature called, "Pedal Stroke Analysis" This could be hype, but I don't know. Is it worth an additional 300? It also has no handle, but it seems to have more features than any of the others I've read about in this price range, that isn't the 2T (which IS out of my price range)

2) SARIS H3 It's a bit less, has a little less topside (2K, 20%) doesn't have a skewer, has headless mode (ride with progressive resistance power curve , foldable, 9kg flywheel, does not come with cassette, 2 year warranty, beating the others.

3) WAHOO KICKR- SMART if it weren't for the fact that two of my riding buddies burned out them in high intensity workouts, lessened my interest in getting one of these (2.2, 20%). It comes with a cassette (pretty cheap, maybe, Sora or Tiagra?) 11-28. Compatible with many bike models. Pricey.

Consider e-Motion controllable rollers if you are looking for the most realistic riding experience.
Old 04-07-20, 08:45 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I think another point to consider is the software side and feature support.

If you use Zwift, then the Tacx Neo will give you the road feel and downhill drive whereas a Wahoo, paired with the Wahoo Climb accessory, will give you a better climbing experience. On the other hand, if you use The Sufferfest or Trainerroad, you don't get (and don't need) any of that and can probably make do with just a Wahoo or Saris. In mean, basically, consider the hardware and software together as a pair to ensure that you are utilizing as much of the trainer's features as possible.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 04-07-20, 08:58 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
You need to give them a spin. The gearing of the flywheel and the diameter of the flywheel impact those numbers. In my experience, the Wahoo spins up smoother than the Kickr.
Old 04-07-20, 09:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I bought the h3 and really like it, it has more resistance then my trainer bike will let me do with its 39/30; couple of hill climb challenges I had to switch bikes to have a slightly easier climb so I don't need one that can make it harder. I also use rouvy, I've been trying to join some group rides via invite but I find the interface to be too annoying. I don't consider the lack of a skewer to be an issue, half my bikes don't use one anymore anyways. I did like that it went from the 130mm to the 142mm thru axle with little trouble and will handle 135 and 148 if need be with only needing a wrench or cone wrench to swap.
Old 04-07-20, 09:10 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I use the Kickr Core and after trying many apps I settled on The Sufferfest about 1.5 years ago. I’m still happy with this combo.
Old 04-17-20, 11:54 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I don't really want to think about getting a new trainer but my ~15 year old fluid 2 is wobbling now so.... Time to start looking I guess.
Old 04-17-20, 01:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2

Originally Posted by blakcloud
If you purchase the Tacx they have a free trial period of the training app that you might like. Most if not all have a free trial period so you can try them all. I use the Tacx/Garmin software because I like the riding in real life videos that they have. Breaks up the boredom and I am not training to be a world class athlete. I just wanted to monitor my metrics. Zwift is too animated for my liking but it is the number one training app that people use.
Just throwing out another app that's currently free.. more realism than Zwift, but not the social aspect: RGT Cycling
Old 04-17-20, 02:33 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I have been using my 23 year old Performance rollers with resistance fans with Sufferfest, for a couple of years now. It has changed my approach; I look at a well designed Sufferfest workout as a bonus. Sometimes I long for just an experience without needing balance and smooth pedaling, but those two add an extra dimension that has great benefits. It takes a little more core strength to balance and the smooth pedal stroke needed to keep from
bouncing off at high RPM intense workouts serves me well on the road. If my basement ceiling was 10” higher I would look at one of the rollers that allow standing! I suspect the main benefit of most of these routines is that they alleviate the horrendous boredom that used to make me prefer frostbite to riding the rollers. Instead I get a professionally designed workout and the 4DP test gives me a good yardstick of my fitness, objective metrics that are much harder to come by on the road.
Old 05-20-20, 10:02 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Got a Saris H3

Because: it was a lesser MSRP. I was really looking at a NEO 2T, but the price point was too high. i think I was set on the evaluation, 25% grade, etc. I bought it at a dealer and got 15% additional off of it. So far, so good. The app that came with it was Rouvy, and I got 45 days total with it. +

In workouts, the resistance kicks in worse, as the intervals progress, making me stop them mid-workout. Frustrating. Another thread posted for that. Someone mentioned an ERG Death Spiral. Not sure if it's the app or the H3.
The videos of the terrain... Cute, but don't think I'd settle on it for that reason. Site seems a little clunky to me. I have 5 days left on the evaluation.

The H3: no issues yet. There's a slight lag on when the steeper grades kick in. On Rouvy, I did do a few of the Watopia routes, including Alpe du zwift, and Passo Guia, Pardoi. The steep climb workouts seem to be fine.
I've compared the workouts to some of my actual, in the neighborhood, rides. The times to get up some segments are realistic.

And, it's nice to have the option to just stay home, if I don't need to be out.

It'll be time to evaluate another platform.. Maybe, bkool ? I think I'm leaving zwift for later. I like the races, and I know that many people I know are on that site. I just don't like the price point.

Thanks for your suggestions and experiences... Now, if I could solve the interval and resistance isues... I'd be happier... I actully like interval workouts.
Old 05-21-20, 04:33 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
I use the Kickr Core paired with the Climb - the Climb is actually what drove me to Kickr. I picked mine up from REI back at the end of 2018 using the member coupon, and the Climb using my wife's coupon.

For software, I've been using Bkool Simulator. I wanted the ability to import GPX tracks of my regular training rides and to ride real routes.