Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Entry-level fixie?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Entry-level fixie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 08:13 AM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Entry-level fixie?

I've been looking to get a fixie to use as a beater commuter. I've never ridden one before but am very curious to try it out since so many people say they love it. I'm just looking for a cheap thing that will get me from A to B and be mostly reliable. Also looking to ride in the winter in Ottawa, Canada so cold and snowy! I've been looking on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace. I saw a Critical Cycles fixie for $150 and a 6KU for $200. They're both gone now but just for future reference, are either of these decent bikes for what I'm looking to do? From my research Critical Cycles is not very reliable but 6KU is decent? Any tips or guidance is appreciated!
Old 06-22-20, 11:10 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclepost
I've been looking to get a fixie to use as a beater commuter. I've never ridden one before but am very curious to try it out since so many people say they love it. I'm just looking for a cheap thing that will get me from A to B and be mostly reliable. Also looking to ride in the winter in Ottawa, Canada so cold and snowy! I've been looking on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace. I saw a Critical Cycles fixie for $150 and a 6KU for $200. They're both gone now but just for future reference, are either of these decent bikes for what I'm looking to do? From my research Critical Cycles is not very reliable but 6KU is decent? Any tips or guidance is appreciated!
try bikesdirect.com
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 06-23-20, 08:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
You probably might start by reading a fixie book or take some classes online. When you are ready for advanced fixie, you might try a speciality trade school depending on what you want to fixie.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-24-20, 07:38 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
try bikesdirect.com
BikesDirect does not ship directly to Canada. You have to ship it first to a US address, and then ship it from that address to Canada or drive across the border to pick it up. Very complicated.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 06-24-20 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-24-20, 07:56 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Yes, 6KU has an OK reputation, but you probably need to spend more than 200 CAD to get something decent. First, if you buy used, make sure the bike fits you. Second, ride the bike and make sure it doesn't have a bent frame or fork, the wheels are round and true, and the brake(s) work. It should have at least a front brake. Also, for a true fixed gear, you need some sort of foot retention. The most common is toe clips and straps. Perhaps another Canadian forum member can chime in on what's available in your area.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-25-20, 09:03 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
buy used ... used fixed can be had for less than 250 US or Can ... there aint much to brake or break
Old 07-10-20, 07:19 PM
K3nz0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane track bike

This bike is recommended by r3ddit fixed gear thread for an entry level bike. It's sold on bikes direct site.
Old 07-10-20, 07:33 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by K3nz0
This bike is recommended by r3ddit fixed gear thread for an entry level bike. It's sold on bikes direct site.
No. See post #4 .

Originally Posted by Dcv