Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1976 Raleigh Gran Prix with Campagnolo components

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 09:28 AM
freshtogeof

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all! I am new to this and wanted to get a vintage road bike. Can you guys chime in and tell me if this is a good bike and what’s it worth? Sorry, I cannot post pics yet. Thanks!

1976 Raleigh Super Grand Prix

Frame has been stripped and powder coated
New decals fabricated
Original Cranks and front rings
Original Stem
New Brooks Saddle
Campagnolo Nuovo Bar end Shifters
Campagnolo Nuovo Brake levers
Campagnolo Nuovo Front Derailur
Campagnolo Nuovo Rear Derailur
Campagnolo Nuovo Hubs
Campagnolo Nuovo Headset
Campagnolo Nuovo Bottom Bracket
New Mavic Open Pro wheels
New Tektro R539 brakes
New Seat post and mustache handle bars
Leather handle bar tape
Old 07-10-20, 10:43 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
Originally Posted by freshtogeof
Hi all! I am new to this and wanted to get a vintage road bike. Can you guys chime in and tell me if this is a good bike and what’s it worth? Sorry, I cannot post pics yet. Thanks!

New decals fabricated
Original Stem
New Brooks Saddle
Campagnolo Nuovo Hubs
Campagnolo Nuovo Headset
New Tektro R539 brakes
Leather handle bar tape
-----

all of those upgrades are a bit over the top on a machine such as this

no mention of an asking price is made

if price were low enough some enthusiasts here might consider purchase for the parts

a bit like taking a plough horse and dressing it up with the gold tack used for parades

-----
Old 07-10-20, 01:18 PM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts

New decals fabricated
Original Stem
New Brooks Saddle
Campagnolo Nuovo Hubs
Campagnolo Nuovo Headset
New Tektro R539 brakes
Leather handle bar tape
It can't be a 1976 Super Grand Prix, in 1976, they only had (bottom to top of the line), Record, Grand Prix, Super Course, Grand Sport, Competition, and three Professional models, the Mk IV, Track, and Team.
The Grand Prix was second from bottom of the line and made with plain steel tubing, it was a fairly heavy bike.
They did make a Super Grand Prix in 1978 and 79, which was more of less an upgrade of components to some Raleigh scripted Suntour Vx derailleurs. (Basically they dressed up a Grand Prix with Super Course components.
I have run across several Super Grand Prix models that were obviously different than the run of the mill models, with 68mm bottom bracket shells, 24tpi threading, etc and comparble weight to an earlier SC.
The value in a bike like you describe would be mostly only in the components, as the bike itself really isn't light enough to benefit from higher end parts like that.
In 1976, the Grand Prix would have been in competition with bikes like the Schwinn Varsity or Peugeot A08, or maybe a Motobecane Nomade.
Old 07-10-20, 04:50 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Based on description this build is just way over the top and not worth the asking price. Myself on Grand Prix from this time frame I would actually prefer the original Raliegh branded Suntour VX components which while not as high end work better than the Campy stuff and just seem to go much better with the bike.
Old 07-10-20, 05:27 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
freshtogeof , is it listed online?
Old 07-11-20, 01:03 AM
freshtogeof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the insight guys! i really didn’t know much about the raleigh line up. will steer away from this bike.

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Based on description this build is just way over the top and not worth the asking price. Myself on Grand Prix from this time frame I would actually prefer the original Raliegh branded Suntour VX components which while not as high end work better than the Campy stuff and just seem to go much better with the bike.
Originally Posted by barnfind
It can't be a 1976 Super Grand Prix, in 1976, they only had (bottom to top of the line), Record, Grand Prix, Super Course, Grand Sport, Competition, and three Professional models, the Mk IV, Track, and Team.
The Grand Prix was second from bottom of the line and made with plain steel tubing, it was a fairly heavy bike.
They did make a Super Grand Prix in 1978 and 79, which was more of less an upgrade of components to some Raleigh scripted Suntour Vx derailleurs. (Basically they dressed up a Grand Prix with Super Course components.
I have run across several Super Grand Prix models that were obviously different than the run of the mill models, with 68mm bottom bracket shells, 24tpi threading, etc and comparble weight to an earlier SC.
The value in a bike like you describe would be mostly only in the components, as the bike itself really isn't light enough to benefit from higher end parts like that.
In 1976, the Grand Prix would have been in competition with bikes like the Schwinn Varsity or Peugeot A08, or maybe a Motobecane Nomade.
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

all of those upgrades are a bit over the top on a machine such as this

no mention of an asking price is made

if price were low enough some enthusiasts here might consider purchase for the parts

a bit like taking a plough horse and dressing it up with the gold tack used for parades

-----
Old 07-11-20, 01:04 AM
freshtogeof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it’s on offer up in the orange county area.

Originally Posted by branko_76
freshtogeof , is it listed online?
Old 07-11-20, 03:45 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
it’s on offer up in the orange county area.
It's not a 1976 Grand Prix, it's from the 1980's and is a much better frame that those made in the 70's. I wouldn't give it a pass just yet, it was posted 5 months ago and looks like it's been ridden hard so you can make a low-ball offer. This model probably has Reynold 531 tubing.

Old 07-12-20, 08:59 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
As for the Raliegh branded VX stuff I had a 78 US market Grand Prix pass through my hands with the VX stuff.