Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain lubricant for long-term storage

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 10:00 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts

I keep my old road bike and my old mountain bike at my parents house to ride when I visit. They live several states away from me, so I ride these bikes only one or two weeks per year, and mostly they are stored in a dry attic. I don't have any corrosion problems with these bikes other than the chains. I have been using a very thin waxy lube, as these bikes see very low mileage and are used only in nice weather. Every summer when I pull these bikes out, the chains have developed a patina of rust from months of storage thru the winter. I am wondering if a thicker more oily lube is preferable for long term storage and would prevent this problem.
Old 07-18-20, 10:38 AM
brotato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used rust cure formula 3000 on an old BMW to stop rust. You would just need a tiny bit and it lasts a long time. Rust check is good too, but thinner. ATF also would work. I would definitely use rust cure 3000 if you can find it as it is not overly oily and solvent free, and it will last for the year. However, make sure to bring a rag back to your parents' house though because dust will stick to all this stuff, but underneath should be a nice, slick chain.

Cheers,

Last edited by brotato; 07-18-20 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 11:45 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Boeshield T-9 was specifically developed by Boeing Corp. as a metal protectant and lubricant which would protect metal during long-term storage and exposure. https://boeshield.com/
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-18-20, 12:07 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Type F automatic transmission fluid is my "go to" chain lube. Or. I've also gotten good results from good old 3 in one oil too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-oz-m...kaAlLKEALw_wcB
Old 07-18-20, 01:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Or by using a connecting link remove the chain and store in a Zip Lock baggie. Andy
Old 07-18-20, 06:37 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Boeshield or triflow.
Old 07-18-20, 10:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly Sheath) was very good at rust prevention, especially for such a light spray oil. About 25 years ago I tested a bunch of oils and greases on blued carbon steel, leaving the pieces of metal hanging in the shower where they were steamed and spritzed regularly for a month. The piece sprayed with Sheath fared the best. And it's a polarizing oil, so it spreads to every nook and cranny. No idea whether it's adequate as a chain lube. It was designed to protect firearms and carbon steel.

I've used Boeshield on the Spyderco stainless steel pocket knife I clip inside the waistband of my bicycle shorts and bibs. It works better than WD-40 and other oils I've tried (I haven't used Sheath in years, haven't had a chance to compare with Boeshield T9). After adding electrolytes to my water every ride my sweat is much more corrosive now than it used to be, so even good stainless steel will rust now.

Cosmoline was the old standby in the military. It was used to coat everything from weapons to surgical instrument meant for storage. It's sticky, tenacious stuff, a PITA to completely remove. Pretty good rust prevention but in my shower test, wasn't as good as Sheath. Stuff packed in cosmoline was usually then wrapped in waxed paper and/or packed in cans, ammo boxes, etc., so I suspect even the military didn't trust cosmoline alone.
Old 07-19-20, 06:44 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
if you're getting rust, the attic may not be ventilated well enough. Moisture from the living space is condensing on the bike in winter, probably daily in some conditions. The same thing is happening to the building insulation. But if it's like my parents' old house in Chicago, there really isn't any insulation to worry about.

Slightly off topic: I stored a bike for several summers in similar conditions in Phoenix, and rode it in the winter. I learned to not store a patch kit with the bike. The heat was intense enough to vaporize the glue, even in new, sealed tubes. I learned that too late, of course.
Old 07-19-20, 09:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Talking about Storage?

Cosmoline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline
Old 07-19-20, 11:40 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
if you're getting rust, the attic may not be ventilated well enough. Moisture from the living space is condensing on the bike in winter, probably daily in some conditions.
I use my homebrew of OMS and bar and chain oil and leave bikes in Portland, OR and in the Bighorn mountains, WY, within 100' of a creek w/o any chain issues. I suspect andrewclaus is spot on so the rust preventatives above should help although I would not recommend 3 in 1 or Triflow Dry (which is great for dry/dusty), only Triflow Superior.
Old 07-20-20, 12:54 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Use like literally any oil based wet lube and they'll be fine if they're stored indoors.
Old 07-20-20, 10:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think this application cries out for Chain-L. Apply it, wipe the chain down, and store the bike. Wipe it down again before you storing it the next time. The stuff should stay on forever.
Old 07-20-20, 12:09 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Chain saw bar oil. Fuch makes the lube on new chains if you can find it.
Old 07-21-20, 01:29 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think this application cries out for Chain-L. Apply it, wipe the chain down, and store the bike. Wipe it down again before you storing it the next time. The stuff should stay on forever.
I second this wholeheartedly. The stuff is tenacious. I haven't seen it lately but it lasts so long I haven't had to think about chain lube in a couple of years.

DON'T abuse yourself and use Cosmoline. I had to get that appalling material off an M39 Mosin that had been put into storage in a Finnish Army arsenal in 1971 according to the hang tag. Not a speck of rust but a nightmare to remove.