Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sequoia: Rack Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 12:19 AM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I usually post in the Classic-Vintage forum, but after a.) killing my main vintage tourer frame with a bad resto-mod job, and b.) suffering through a recent tour on a different and ill-equipped vintage ride (too many issues to list), I took the plunge, splurged, and finally bought myself a new touring bike. As in new, new.... not just new to me. A Specialized Sequoia (the Special edition, Merz, so kinda link the Expert model specs).

Anyway, looking for tested suggestions on good, stout rack options for it?

I used to tour with front and rear racks on my vintage tourer, but think I want to do rear rack with some smaller frame bags, in lieu of a front rack.

So, anyone have experience? I know in general what some good racks are.... but suggestions on fit compatibility with Sequoias would be hugely appreciated! Most interested in Rear racks, but if someone has used a front rack on it, I'd be interested to know too.

thanks!!
Old 07-27-20, 05:28 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I would consider the Axiom Journey Disc rear rack but there are several good ones out there.
Old 07-27-20, 08:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
That bike has the lower rack mounting bolts quite high above the rear axle, thus most of the common racks like Tubus would sit quite high on that bike. So, look for a rack that is designed for those higher mounting points.

I make this comment because I was surprised how high my RackTime AddIt rack was on my Lynskey Backroad that also had very high mounting points.

Looks like the disc unit will not interfere with rack since the disc is on the chainstay, not seatstay.

Ask the bike shop you bought if from if they have any suggestions for a rack that would not sit too high.
Old 07-27-20, 10:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The plan for my Sequoia Pro Module when I get it built up is going to be the Tubus Airy rack most likely for lightweight stuff (since I have a touring bike). I guess the height was never really a big deal for me. All the Sequoias I have sold with racks have never felt too high or looked out of place but then again have not mounted one to the Merz edition.

Those Merz bikes are awesome. I remember when I saw one live and in person and was like oooooh me likely but luckily price and other bikes were in the way at that point and they didn't sell it as just a frame or frameset so it saved me. Though I wouldn't mind a full custom Merz at some point.
Old 07-28-20, 09:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
On my Lynskey Backroad, the only way I got my rear rack (RackTime AddIt) down to a reasonable level with the high mounting points was with two modifications.

(1) My frame has two mounting points, the upper for rack and lower for fenders, I am using the lower for both fenders and rack. That lowers the rack a half inch.

(2) The RackTime rack has flat vertical aluminum plate for the two lower mounting points, I drilled new bolt holes in the rack so that I could lower the rack another half inch.

Initially, before I drilled it I mounted the rack on the upper mounting points and fenders on the lower, that put the rack way up high. I would have liked to get it another half inch lower than where it now is, but I can live with it the way it is.

I prefer racks that allow me to hang my panniers down on a lower rail instead of the top. I use a Tubus Logo EVO on my other touring bikes, that also has the lower rails.

This photo is with modifications.

You can see closeup of the modifications here, fenders mounted inside frame and rack outside.

Photo below is before I lowered it.

Old 07-29-20, 12:50 AM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, and good advice on keeping an eye on height given the mounting spots on mine. Gonna keep doing my homework with your advice in mind! I appreciate it.
Old 07-31-20, 09:54 AM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use a bontrager rack and the interchange bag. Works good stays secure