Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Assos questons

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Assos questons

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 05:43 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Assos questons

Does anyone have experience with the s9 equipe rs line of bibs and rs jerseys? How long have they lasted and what type of care do they require? Does it fit like Castelli sizing? I'm a L jersey and M bib in Castelli. Assos is quite expensive, but if I can get multiple years of life out of a set, then I'd be willing to give it a try. So far I'm content with Castelli stuff, but you know how it goes...there's always something greener ($$$) on the other side...
Old 07-27-20, 06:17 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Does anyone have experience with the s9 equipe rs line of bibs and rs jerseys? How long have they lasted and what type of care do they require? Does it fit like Castelli sizing? I'm a L jersey and M bib in Castelli. Assos is quite expensive, but if I can get multiple years of life out of a set, then I'd be willing to give it a try. So far I'm content with Castelli stuff, but you know how it goes...there's always something greener ($$$) on the other side...
I have a pair of the equipe bib shorts RS S9.
I've owned them only since April, I ride them once or twice a week, so maybe 15-20 total rides by now.
They're like new, I haven't ridden them enough yet to expect any wear.

For care, I always hand wash all my stuff right after the ride -- I just carry it right into the shower with me and wash it by hand with mild liquid soap, then hang it to dry.
So I can't tell you how they hold up to machine washing. But the chamois is the primary sales point for Assos bibs, and my care routine so far keeps the chamois like new, in all my Assos bibs.

I don't have any Castelli bibs to compare sizing with the Assos.
I do have 2 Castelli jerseys and 2 Assos jerseys, all are race-cut and size Medium, and the two brands fit very similar on me.
I prefer the Castelli jerseys because the mesh weave breathes a little better than the Assos jerseys which have a smoother more aero finish but don't ventilate like the Castelli.

You might know this, but for sale prices on Castelli stuff look at Competitive Cyclist.
For sale prices on Assos stuff look at the Assos website, choose Men or Women then find Archive and then link Past Seasons Styles.
But the S9 stuff is probably not sale-priced yet. I paid full price and yes there expensive but I'l probably never buy bibs in the future other than Assos.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 07-28-20, 05:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I have been cycling for about 40 yrs. I've worn everything from PI to Capo to Castelli...and the list goes on. I never considered Assos because of the price. About 5 yrs ago I saw a killer deal on Assos bibs so I bought a pair. It was eye opening. For the first time kit fit me. Albeit like body paint. Now all my kit is Assos. Bibs, gloves, jerseys, socks....etc. My experience is that Assos fits smaller and lasts forever. I still have everything I ever bought and wear it whenever I ride. Expl on size. My chest measures at 43". For most clothing that's a L or XL. I wouldn't be able to get into a L in Assos. And, XL is race fit for me.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-28-20, 06:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Agree Assos is good stuff, but since the S9 is new I don't think anyone has long term experience. I don't think you will be disappointed. Agree that hand-wash will extend life.

If you are on a budget you can probably snag some leftover S7 series on sale.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-28-20, 11:36 AM
Princess_Allez

I machine wash all my stuff- maybe that's why my leg grippers are becoming floppy. I pick up all my gear thru Merlin, during one of their sales. I think I picked up my Free Aero Race bibs for ~$80-120. I learned from trying out the entry-level Rapha stuff that it's worth pricing up and getting better quality and fit; I wasn't impressed with their Core line of product. Assos doesn't offer pricing below MAP on their newer stuff. It seems you just have to eat the cost in order to retain warranty and servcie.

Has anyone tried to warranty a set of bibs with floppy legs? The warranty seems to be 2 years for manufacturer defect, but I don't know if that would constitute as a defect.
Old 07-28-20, 01:01 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Just another data point for you- I've got a bunch of S7 bibs that are probably around five years in service, all machine washed (cold, gentle cycle, minimal detergent, only the bibs in the load) and air/hang dried...they may as well be new. Back when I was on my own Bib Quest and decided to give Assos a try, I wasn't sure if a medium or large was a better fit, so I picked up one of each. Comparing the medium pair that I wore 3-4 times to the larges that have seen a lot of use, the only wear I can find is a little cracking in the screen printed writing (for the size, where they're made, etc) and they leg gripper lines are the tiniest bit less shiny but feel absolutely identical. Not a single leg gripper is peeling, no stretched out fabric, and the chamois is as comfy as day one.

Obviously the S9s could have different durability, and everyone wears on their equipment differently, but for me, despite the cost of entry, Assos bibs are good value.
Likes For bahula03:
Old 07-28-20, 03:29 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by bahula03
Just another data point for you- I've got a bunch of S7 bibs that are probably around five years in service, all machine washed (cold, gentle cycle, minimal detergent, only the bibs in the load) and air/hang dried...they may as well be new. Back when I was on my own Bib Quest and decided to give Assos a try, I wasn't sure if a medium or large was a better fit, so I picked up one of each. Comparing the medium pair that I wore 3-4 times to the larges that have seen a lot of use, the only wear I can find is a little cracking in the screen printed writing (for the size, where they're made, etc) and they leg gripper lines are the tiniest bit less shiny but feel absolutely identical. Not a single leg gripper is peeling, no stretched out fabric, and the chamois is as comfy as day one.

Obviously the S9s could have different durability, and everyone wears on their equipment differently, but for me, despite the cost of entry, Assos bibs are good value.
Thanks for the feedback.That is reassuring to know. I will give Assos a try. 5 years is A-ok in my book. I wash my cycling gear in the same manner, except I toss it in with jerseys, gloves, socks, and skull caps. I would imagine that jerseys can catch on other garment items and potentially rip/tear/pull threads. Why does good cycling kit had to be so expensive and so delicate... I'm 5'7" 160lbs, 30" inseam. According to Assos' sizing chart my waist is borderline medium/large and length [should be] small. I'm guessing a medium would fit best. I assume the sizing is similar to Castelli: mostly race cut and size up when between sizes.
Old 07-28-20, 07:12 PM
jimmyodonnell

A couple notes on sizing and care . . .

I recommend you start with Medium.
My sizing specs are close to what you list for yours -- I'm 5-6-and-change, my inseam is 29, and at the time I bought them I weighed about 165.

If you're looking at the RS S9, you'll notice that the back straps have no "yoke", there's no fabric in the lower triangle below where the straps criss-cross on your back.
That's great for sizing, the straps contour to whatever your body offers and there's no fabric between the straps, no restriction and no unnecessary pressure on how they fit across your lower back. I've lost over 20 pounds since I bought these and they still hug in all the right places. They're compressive but they're not restrictive.

On the front, these straps are shaped to sit pretty wide running down the front of your torso, so they meet the front of the shorts wider than the design of some other bibs and they don't "cut" under your belly -- I was fine when I weighed 165, and I'm fine at my current 145.

For length, the inseam / leg-length on the RS series is one of the shorter inseams of all the Assos shorts I think. Initially, I bought a couple pairs of the Mille GT series but the legs came down to my kneecaps and the cuffs / grippers didn't grip, I sent them back and got RS instead. So based on your height and inseam I think you'll like the length.

For care / washing, consider using a small mesh laundry bag -- put your delicate bibs and jerseys inside this bag then throw it in with you other laundry (or even better, wash kit separately from your other laundry). The bag keeps the cycling gear from getting wrapped around your other laundry and protects it from the washer's center spindle, etc . . . it keeps your kit from getting stretched around anything that might stress the elastic in critical places. You don't have to worry about your socks or gloves or hats. Assos has articles on their website recommending this, if you're sufficiently geeky you can find these care instructions on their website. But especially if you wash with jeans, the metal zippers / buttons / rivets on jeans can wreak havoc on your cycling apparel. So think about using the bag -- If you're spending 250/300 bucks on these and you want to keep them for 5 years or more, protect them when you wash them . . . and hang them to dry, don't put them in the dryer and don't ever attack them with a hair dryer, just let them hang-dry overnight.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 07-29-20, 01:27 AM
Princess_Allez

Thanks. That was very comprehensive. It really shows the attention to detail Assos has when designing their gear. I was planning on going with the medium bibs. It's good to know the legs won't look goofy long; according to the insesm chart I would be a small. I'm built with shorter legs and longer arms. I don't know why I never thought to use a delicates bag for my bibs... I'm definitely going to start doing that.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 08-01-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-29-20, 01:54 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I'm trying out a pair of RS soon so this thread is right on time.

I just had to replace a washer and while they didn't have front loaders in the brand I wanted, I got a top loader and chose an impeller rather than an agitator. While I wash my jerseys in there, my bibs and shorts get hand washed in a bucket after every ride (along with my gloves, head gear (balaclava and handkerchief), jersey, shorts / bibs). I guess I could add a few drops of soap / dish washer liquid.
Old 07-31-20, 01:35 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
I am 5'11 and 183 lbs. I wear a L in Assos bib shorts but an XL in Assos jersey's. My shoulders and arms are extremely wide for my height so I usually have to size up. Always machine wash cold/delicate and hang dry.
Old 07-31-20, 05:52 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by JS41989
I am 5'11 and 183 lbs. I wear a L in Assos bib shorts but an XL in Assos jersey's. My shoulders and arms are extremely wide for my height so I usually have to size up. Always machine wash cold/delicate and hang dry.
Those were pretty much my ht. and wt. playing football in college. Now I'm down to 5'9". And, I also wear L bibs and XL jersey. FWIW my chest is a 43" measured.
Old 07-31-20, 06:34 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Those were pretty much my ht. and wt. playing football in college. Now I'm down to 5'9". And, I also wear L bibs and XL jersey. FWIW my chest is a 43" measured.
Ditto on the 43" chest measurement.
Old 08-02-20, 09:44 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I am going to add in my unscientific observation from this weekend and last.

Last weekend I road up Mount Hamilton in the SF Bay area. 5k of climbing and about 63 miles total. I was wearing my Assos Centos and at no point in the ride did I feel like I needed chamois cream.

This weekend I did an out and back from Santa Clara to Capitola. 4,300 feet of climbing and 75 miles. I was wearing Assos Milles and needed to apply chamios cream on the out and return portions.

My unscientific conclusion? Centos are worth the extra $$ as would likely every top of the line bibs are likely to be.
Old 08-02-20, 06:18 PM
Princess_Allez

One pair of Assos RS/RSR s9 bib shorts= two Castelli Free Aero Race ..still wrapping my head around that, but getting closer to pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 08-03-20 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-03-20, 12:27 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Just started wearing my FF 1 RSR bib shorts and they are super comfortable (archive price). Glad I got them.
Likes For gios:
Old 08-05-20, 10:41 PM
SCTinkering

One pair of Assos RS/RSR s9 bib shorts= two Castelli Free Aero Race ..still wrapping my head around that, but getting closer to pulling the trigger.
If you're looking at RS/RSR S9 those should be compared to Castilli Primo 2's
Likes For SCTinkering:
Old 08-13-20, 12:37 AM
Princess_Allez

After receiving the RS S9 bib short and Equipe jersey all I can saw is wow...the quality of the bib short is next level and the jersey is top notch. My favorite gear prior to this was Castelli FAR4 shorts and Aero Race jersey. They are still great, but I see now why Assos is so expensive. I do, however, have a question about sizing.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to own this kit combo, how tight is the jersey supposed to be? It's the tightest jersey I've even worn; absolutely skin tight, like I can't even imagine wearing a base layer underneath tight. I ordered a medium. I'm 5'7" 160lb 39.5" chest; "athletic" build aka broad shoulders (for a small guy) and a little asian boba belly. Assos makes me feel fat. Is this normal? Should I size up? Does Assos size their jerseys like Castelli?

Edit: I'm a large jersey in Castelli, however, the torso length is a little long.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 08-14-20 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:48 AM
jimmyodonnell

After receiving the RS S9 bib short and Equipe jersey all I can saw is wow...the quality of the bib short is next level and the jersey is top notch. My favorite gear prior to this was Castelli FAR4 shorts and Aero Race jersey. They are still great, but I see now why Assos is so expensive. I do, however, have a question about sizing.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to own this kit combo, how tight is the jersey supposed to be? It's the tightest jersey I've even worn; absolutely skin tight, like I can't even imagine wearing a base layer underneath tight. I ordered a medium. I'm 5'7" 160lb 49.5" chest; "athletic" build aka broad shoulders (for a small guy) and a little asian boba belly. Assos makes me feel fat. Is this normal? Should I size up? Does Assos size their jerseys like Castelli?

Edit: I'm a large jersey in Castelli, however, the torso lemgth is a little long.

The Assos jerseys I have (one is Equipe and one is Mille GT) don't have the same stretch as my Castelli jerseys. I have mediums in both brands, but the Assos jerseys have a tighter aero fabric weave and the Castellis have a softer knit weave that stretches more and breaths a little better too. My Assos jerseys fit skin-tight and haven't stretched at all in the 4 months I've been wearing them, so maybe you should size up and compare the fit differences between the M and the L.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 08-13-20, 09:39 AM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
The Assos jerseys I have (one is Equipe and one is Mille GT) don't have the same stretch as my Castelli jerseys. I have mediums in both brands, but the Assos jerseys have a tighter aero fabric weave and the Castellis have a softer knit weave that stretches more and breaths a little better too. My Assos jerseys fit skin-tight and haven't stretched at all in the 4 months I've been wearing them, so maybe you should size up and compare the fit differences between the M and the L.
You're right: the Assos jersey is made of a material with a more compressive fit. Like most cycling kit, it's designed around an ectomorphic body. I'll have to size up and live with the added length and bunching up. I figured the material wouldn't stretch over time, seeing as it's made from high-end materials that are designed to last a long time.
Old 08-13-20, 10:05 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
49.5" chest, M??? I have a 38" chest and wear L or M in Assos depending on what it is.

Did you mean to type 39.5"?
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 08-14-20, 12:41 AM
Princess_Allez

It was a typo. Yea, 39.5" chest.
Old 08-16-20, 10:06 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
For those of you who are fortunate enough to own this kit combo, how tight is the jersey supposed to be? It's the tightest jersey I've even worn; absolutely skin tight, like I can't even imagine wearing a base layer underneath tight. I ordered a medium. I'm 5'7" 160lb 39.5" chest; "athletic" build aka broad shoulders (for a small guy) and a little asian boba belly. Assos makes me feel fat. Is this normal? Should I size up? Does Assos size their jerseys like Castelli?
I'm 5'11", 162 lb, 38.5" chest and medium Equipe jersey (as well as bibs) fits me perfectly (with a base layer below). Belly is flat though. In general I find that Assos size guide is spot on. AFAIK Mille line is supposed to be more relaxed fit (I've never tried).
Old 08-17-20, 11:57 AM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have both T. Equipe Evo and T. Cento bibs (size small for my 5'10" 138lb frame), and I prefer the Equipes. The both fit decently, but despite the Kuku Penthouse (&#128514 in the Centos I find the Equipes more comfy.
Old 08-18-20, 08:37 AM
SCTinkering

I size up on Assos and they're still tighter than my other jerseys (I came from the world of mountain biking so I like a looser fit.)
Likes For SCTinkering:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.