Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Build, Excessive Spoke Length

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-03-20, 10:39 PM
aaronmichael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Currently building a wheel and while lacing, it seemed like the spoke were too long. Sure enough, once the wheel was laced and I tried to put some tension on it, the spokes are sticking out the ends of the nipples. Must have done an incorrect measurement somewhere. Anyway, here's a question for everyone in which the answer should help with this wheel build and others:

Say that each spoke is sticking out of the nipple by an excess of 4mm. To rebuild this wheel, would the spoke lengths need to be reduced by 2mm or 4mm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-03-20, 11:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Double check the lacing, specifically the starting spoke location......I had this happen once and it was suggested I was off in that area. I had measured the spokes from the old spokes so was fairly sure my lengths were right.....but gave the wheel away before I could prove it was true or not or just stomp on it

Old 08-04-20, 02:22 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
reduce by 5mm or 1mm more than the excess
Old 08-04-20, 04:38 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Are you sure the lacing pattern is correct? If you measured correctly, but did a 2 cross instead of 3 cross, your spokes would be too long.
Old 08-04-20, 09:18 PM
aaronmichael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was my first time lacing a 2 cross wheel. I'm almost positive that I performed the task correctly but I'll go back and double check. I learned how to build a pretty good 3 cross wheel from Gerd Schraner Art of Wheelbuilding book. I got the process to lace a 2 cross wheel from a book by Roger Musson.

Anyway, regardless of whether it is laced correctly or incorrectly, I'm more curious about the original question in any given scenario. This is definitely not the first time I've laced a wheel with the improper spoke size and I would like to know how to compensate without having to remeasure or change the lacing pattern. Thanks for all the input thus far, any more would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-04-20, 09:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmichael
.....Say that each spoke is sticking out of the nipple by an excess of 4mm. To rebuild this wheel, would the spoke lengths need to be reduced by 2mm or 4mm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
4mm too long is 4 mm too long.
It's that simple.

If you provided some details such as hub, rim, number of spokes & length, one could check the math.

That said, if a somewhat standard 622mm rim, the difference between 1 & 2 cross is about 4-5mm. Slightly more for 2 vs 3. Add a little spoke tension to take the "slack" out of the elbow and it probably "grows" another mm or 2.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-04-20 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 09:27 PM
aaronmichael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sir!
Old 08-05-20, 04:54 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If you relace your wheel as a 3x, are your spokes the right length? If you have x number of spokes that work for 3x, I would do that. 3x is considered pretty optimal, or at least it was.