Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Are hostels still a thing?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Are hostels still a thing?

Old 08-06-20, 01:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Irish Republic has a independently owned Hostel affiliation .. Used several when there 20 years ago..
Old 08-06-20, 05:24 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Here's one of the more charming hostels I stayed at along the Dordogne River in France ...

Auberge de Jeunesse, Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne (Corrèze) France

But in the US most of the charming hostels are gone. In the 70s there were chains of them on the C&O canal, PA Dutch country, and up the length of VT.
Likes For BobG:
Old 08-06-20, 06:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
...Alcohol was completely banned in American hostels, at least at that time.
Quite variable. When I stayed at the HI Hostel in Washington DC, they had a total ban on posession of alcohol on the premisis, which I thought was funny when they also had organized pub crawls.

The Fishermans Wharf hostel in San Fransisco, count the bottles on the table.

Internationally, I think most of them have a policy for reasonable use in public areas, like this one, fourth bullet point:

Old 08-10-20, 07:55 AM
jmgardner 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix 105 and Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Would you consider using a service such as Warmshowers or CouchSurfing (post COVID of course) ? ?
Old 08-10-20, 09:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by jmgardner
Would you consider using a service such as Warmshowers or CouchSurfing (post COVID of course) ? ?
I assume your question is to everyone and not any specific poster.

I like hostels, you can be as social or as anti-social as you want. Last summer I met a gal that was also starting a bike tour at the same time and hostel that I was starting out from, we rode together for a day and a half. I have met a lot of interesting people at hostels.

If I fly somewhere and stay at a hostel at the start and end of a trip, I will schedule those months in advance with reservations, but otherwise I often stay at a hostel on a spur of the moment basis instead of camping. I have also finished tours at a hostel where my end-date was more flexible because I was taking a train, not flying. In those cases I will make a reservation a few days in advance.

I have not stayed at Warmshowers or Couchsurfed, but have no plans to do so. I would rather not arrive there and find that I do not hit it off with the host. I would rather stay at a Motel 6 than do that. But, I am well aware that a lot of people use those services frequently and enjoy them.
Old 08-15-20, 10:05 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Just came through the Canadian Rockies and HI hostels are still a thing here, though the experience is probably altered due to covid.

The major centers are expensive (Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise) but the chain hostels are more affordable and nice, if you like dorm style sleeping.

The best bet is to route plan and reserve during the high season.
Old 08-15-20, 10:59 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Lake Placid has a great hostel, Home | TMax-n-Topos Hostel - Lake Placid, NY - A friendly place to stay!
Nicely located near town, brewpubs, meals etc I stay there in winter for Daks backcountry skiing

Chile, S.A. has splendid hostels, some of the best I have ever stayed in. They are nicely located in the foothills of the Andes and some of the cities!!