Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Psimet's tip of the Day

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Psimet's tip of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 08:41 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Star Wars
C-3PO: We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.
Old 04-25-08, 08:51 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I love this thread. Anyone who correctly uses "orient" and "oriented" instead of "orientate" and "orientated" and gives pressure in "bars" is my kind of rider/writer. Engineer by any chance?

Old 04-26-08, 06:45 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Tip 4: In light of the fact that many of you are riding in events today I will give an event based tip. Crumple your number before pinning it on. It keeps it from flapping in the wind.

Still unclear about whether you are allowed to use this technique during races anymore, but you still can during charity events for sure. That way you don't have to be that guy flying the paper flag for 100 miles.

Old 04-28-08, 07:16 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

#5 - If you're in a race and someone there will be taking pictures of you, make sure you are completely alone when they do. That way no one looking will be able to tell if you are off the front or off the back.

....unless you're a big guy like me then there is now question.

Old 04-28-08, 07:31 AM
flaco

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of people who crumple their numbers seem to have trouble pinning it on correctly anyway. So they have what looks like a used kleenex flapping around on the back of the jersey. Just pin it on flat. Take a stitch with the pin rather than using the corner holes.
Old 04-29-08, 10:05 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by flaco
A lot of people who crumple their numbers seem to have trouble pinning it on correctly anyway. So they have what looks like a used kleenex flapping around on the back of the jersey. Just pin it on flat. Take a stitch with the pin rather than using the corner holes.
Does anyone know of a spray on or tape on fabric glue or tape that would hold the number on in wind, sweat, etc. but is easily removable and doesn't stain the jersey?

Old 04-29-08, 10:08 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

#6 - When pumping up a flat with a frame or portable pump be sure to wrap one hand around the pump head and rim together. This will stabilize the pump head and prevent you from bending/tearing off the valve stem - making you start over.

I've seen newer riders do this (bend-rip off the stem) more than once.

EDIT:Echo, echo, echo, echo......

Old 04-29-08, 10:13 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Does anyone know of a spray on or tape on fabric glue or tape that would hold the number on in wind, sweat, etc. but is easily removable and doesn't stain the jersey?

Aren't you supposed to be the one with the tips?
Old 04-29-08, 10:15 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by ericcox
Aren't you supposed to be the one with the tips?
Looking for help .

Guess I'll have to stop by a fabric store sometime this week.

The pros use something, but I think their numbers come with it already applied. They just peel and stick.

Old 04-29-08, 10:22 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.agreatnotion.com/catalogue/index1.html
I found something called "Spray Fabric Adhesive" non-acidic and washes out in the washing machine. 505 looks like the best choice.
Old 04-29-08, 10:25 AM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have pressure sensitive adhesive that I laminate onto my number and then stick it to my jersey. Works great, no pins, no wrinkles, no flutters!, never comes off till you pull on it.

[edit] This hasn't been rain tested but I use an acrylic PSA so it shouldn't be a problem. [/edit]

Last edited by ColorChange; 04-29-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-29-08, 10:41 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tip 4: In light of the fact that many of you are riding in events today I will give an event based tip. Crumple your number before pinning it on. It keeps it from flapping in the wind.

Still unclear about whether you are allowed to use this technique during races anymore, but you still can during charity events for sure. That way you don't have to be that guy flying the paper flag for 100 miles.
This is frowned upon, as the number becomes more difficult to read in the playback. Just pin your number on properly and it will be legible, won't flap, and won't peel off.
Old 04-29-08, 10:50 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by recursive
This is frowned upon, as the number becomes more difficult to read in the playback. Just pin your number on properly and it will be legible, won't flap, and won't peel off.
Actually I heard an official yell at a guy next to me for crumpling his this last weekend. Official re-iterated that you are not allowed to fold, crumple or otherwise "deface" your number.

I hate pinning when it isn't crumpled so I will resort to the adhesive idea.

Old 04-29-08, 11:02 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mmm paste...apply the number to the jersey, then have the leftovers for a snack, just like in kindergarten!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-29-08, 12:21 PM
flaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a discussion in the racing forum of a spray adhesive called Super 77. Never tried it personally, but they say if you do it right it is non-staining.
Old 04-29-08, 12:39 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Super 77 seems pretty permanent - although it does say it's pretty low soak. + side is that it seems readily available at just about any office store and hardware store.

Old 04-29-08, 12:52 PM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
#6 - When pumping up a flat with a frame or portable pump be sure to wrap one hand around the pump head and rim together. This will stabilize the pump head and prevent you from bending/tearing off the valve stem - making you start over.

I've seen newer riders do this (bend-rip off the stem) more than once.

EDIT:Echo, echo, echo, echo......
Another technique is to brace the section of the wheel where the valve stem is against the inside of the thigh. Provides for a very stable three points of contact with the pump.

Last edited by nick burns; 04-29-08 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 06:18 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

#7 - When installing a new chain don't feel the need to remove the lubricant that the factory applies to the chain. It is sticky and will attract a lot of dirt as you ride. One way to limit this is to wipe away excess lubricant from the outside of the chain (where it isn't doing any good anyway).

Then as you use it apply some Prolink Gold to the chain - one drop per link - and use the runoff to wipe down the chain. The Prolink will act as a solvent and help remove some of the stubborn lube from the outside. It will also gradually replace the factory lube with itself - a great lubricant in it's own right.

Old 04-30-08, 06:22 AM
Dumpsterlife
is probably wrong

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC, Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#7 - When installing a new chain don't feel the need to remove the lubricant that the factory applies to the chain. It is sticky and will attract a lot of dirt as you ride. One way to limit this is to wipe away excess lubricant from the outside of the chain (where it isn't doing any good anyway).

Then as you use it apply some Prolink Gold to the chain - one drop per link - and use the runoff to wipe down the chain. The Prolink will act as a solvent and help remove some of the stubborn lube from the outside. It will also gradually replace the factory lube with itself - a great lubricant in it's own right.
Nice, I will be installing my new chain in about 10 minutes. Thanks.
Old 04-30-08, 06:23 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
mmm paste...apply the number to the jersey, then have the leftovers for a snack, just like in kindergarten!
It's all about the nom nom with you isn't it big man!
Old 04-30-08, 07:03 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
nom nom nom
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-30-08, 09:37 AM
fprintf
Better rider 20 yrs ago

Bikes: Trek 1500D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Careful with Super 77. It has a solvent in it that is known to eat plastics. I know of the foam model planes I used to build you had to be careful to apply it lightly and let it gas off first before sticking the pieces together... otherwise you'd end up with a huge pile of melted goo. I think lycra is probably OK but just be careful!
Old 04-30-08, 12:51 PM
lenexatokcmo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember reading advice (either Sheldon or Zinn) suggesting that you should hang on to that factory chain lube as long as possible - something about it being superior to anything consumers can buy off the shelf.
Old 05-01-08, 10:32 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

#8 - I will start with some cassette tips/information/advice seeing as how people have been starting a lot fo threads about them lately. I will try to split it into multiple tips.

Shimano makes a freehub with a Shimano specific spline design. Many other manufacturers make freehub bodies that utilize the Shimano spline design. SRAM cassettes use the Shimano spline standard as well.

8-9-(10) freehub bodies are compatible with Shimano "style" (meaning Shimano, SRAM or others who claim Shimano compatible) 8 and 9 spd cassettes. I put the (10) in () because these freehub bodies are also compatible with 10 speed cassettes - but require the use of a thin spacer placed on the cassette before the cogs.

If you don't use the spacer then your cassette will still be loose once the lockring is tightened. These hubs are never referred to as 8-9-10. They are always referred to as 8-9spd.

I will continue on with more tomorrow.

Old 05-01-08, 10:58 AM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Psimet please explain the "nom nom nom" thing. I really have no idea what you could be getting at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.