Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bike Flipping 101

Old 04-28-20, 02:02 AM
Joseph giebe
Jgiebe

Bikes: Trek schwinn red line custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a trek 560

Its in very good shape I also have a schwinn colgaite

1. NO rust.
2. Complete bikes are a must.
3. Know your product.
4. Know your market.
5. Be prepared to lose money on some bikes.

I have drasticly different prices I'm willing to pay based on the quality level of the bike. Certain bikes I avoid like the plaque. Those would be all mountain bike and all non-bike store bikes. I also avoid anything from the last 10-15 years as they're a dime a dozen and not very collectible.

One of the most important things I consider is parting out value. If my 'flip' turns into a 'flop' can I part it out and recoup my money? Some bikes I buy with the sole intention of parting out.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-29-20, 08:10 PM
Inakie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm
Old 04-30-20, 04:26 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Boy, was I wrong. I thought the pandemic would push local prices down. Nope! Take whatever the reasonable selling price was last year, and double it. At least for the NJ/NY area.
Old 04-30-20, 06:31 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
"I have drasticly different prices I'm willing to pay based on the quality level of the bike. Certain bikes I avoid like the plaque. Those would be all mountain bike and all non-bike store bikes."

Many others apparently feel this way too as the price of vintage MTBs is very depressed. But many make outstanding part outs, certainly better than similar era/quality road bikes. I have acquired many vintage MTBs in the last couple of years, most for parts, a couple to keep. Thumb shifters, triple cranksets, Araya dimpled rim wheels, long cage RDs, set back seat posts, slingshot stems, vintage MTB pedals (desired by the BMX crowd), etc. I picked up a MTB recently at a thrift store for $35. It had been there a long time as it had been marked down a couple of times. Full Deore XT by the way. So far, proceeds on that bike are up to $400, I have about $150 left to sell. Many times, the sale of the pedals will exceed the price paid for the MTB. And in this case, the pedals brought 2X the price paid.

Even some undesirable brands can have desirable parts on them.

I know when I have sold complete vintage MTBs, I have left a lot of $$ on the table. Its OK, but I can't afford to always do it that way.

I have learned over the years, sometimes painfully, that if you are going to buy and sell long term, you have to continually change up your game. Stuff I avoided in the past I now buy. Stuff I bought in the past I now avoid. Sources in the past have completely dried up, replaced by other sources. Its a hobby, not a business, for me.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-30-20 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 04-30-20, 09:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
Boy, was I wrong. I thought the pandemic would push local prices down. Nope! Take whatever the reasonable selling price was last year, and double it. At least for the NJ/NY area.
Bikes are in high demand in the city. The subway has a high risk of infection, making more people willing to cycle. I made a long term loan to a nurse who came to the city to help with the pandemic. I don't even know the person so I look at it as a charitable act. I hope to get the bike back but I also know that I took a risk and may not see it again.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-03-20, 04:48 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Many others apparently feel this way too as the price of vintage MTBs is very depressed. But many make outstanding part outs, certainly better than similar era/quality road bikes. I have acquired many vintage MTBs in the last couple of years, most for parts, a couple to keep. Thumb shifters, triple cranksets, Araya dimpled rim wheels, long cage RDs, set back seat posts, slingshot stems, vintage MTB pedals (desired by the BMX crowd), etc. I picked up a MTB recently at a thrift store for $35. It had been there a long time as it had been marked down a couple of times. Full Deore XT by the way. So far, proceeds on that bike are up to $400, I have about $150 left to sell. Many times, the sale of the pedals will exceed the price paid for the MTB. And in this case, the pedals brought 2X the price paid.
I have learned over the years, sometimes painfully, that if you are going to buy and sell long term, you have to continually change up your game. Stuff I avoided in the past I now buy. Stuff I bought in the past I now avoid. Sources in the past have completely dried up, replaced by other sources. Its a hobby, not a business, for me.
Maybe I should part out a cherry condition 1992ish PDG 50?

Despite a lot of cold and wet weather in April, I have sold 9 bikes since early April, more than the last 2-3 years combined. My goal has been to free up garage space for a new vehicle and am well on my way. Hope to sell another 10-12 bikes this month. This will get me under 50 in my for sale inventory Mountain bikes are in strong demand here. Only sold 2 bikes with drop bars, both Schwinns.

Old 05-03-20, 06:17 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Maybe I should part out a cherry condition 1992ish PDG 50?

Despite a lot of cold and wet weather in April, I have sold 9 bikes since early April, more than the last 2-3 years combined. My goal has been to free up garage space for a new vehicle and am well on my way. Hope to sell another 10-12 bikes this month. This will get me under 50 in my for sale inventory Mountain bikes are in strong demand here. Only sold 2 bikes with drop bars, both Schwinns.

Ahhh, to be under 50 again...
Old 05-12-20, 07:01 AM
akablue

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are buying and flipping: Right now is the time. Due to COVID 19 the bicycle market is hot right now and bikes are selling off the shelf. I brought a really cheap bike from Walmart a few months ago and was able to double my profit. If you are lucky to get bikes from Walmart especially during this time when bikes are a scarcity, then you can make a serious profit right now!
Old 05-15-20, 02:39 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
Originally Posted by akablue
If you are buying and flipping: Right now is the time. Due to COVID 19 the bicycle market is hot right now and bikes are selling off the shelf. I brought a really cheap bike from Walmart a few months ago and was able to double my profit. If you are lucky to get bikes from Walmart especially during this time when bikes are a scarcity, then you can make a serious profit right now!
I’ve not seen any Classic and Vintage bikes available at my local Wal-Mart.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-15-20, 01:38 PM
cromagnum

Bikes: a bunch of stuff partial list its becoming a disease 69 Drake 3 spd 87Lotus elan 75, Atala 1988 corsa professionista, Matsuri track kieran bike 1972 astra tour de france

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just started cleaning out my garage and a guy from Brooklyn grabbed 3 bikes he said everything sells quick in NYC because nobody wants to get on a subway or bus. He's flipping the stuff I sell him.
Old 07-04-20, 02:30 PM
Dayz23

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trying to get to 10. To post some pics!
Old 07-14-20, 06:18 AM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's better to buy bikes with mainly black color schemes. Any paint chip can be hidden quickly with black permanent markers. The marker parts are visible, but blend in very well with the old paint job so that people won't catch it unless they are picky. You can't do that with any other permanent markers due to different color intensities.
You obviously can just do a full on repaint of the bike, but if your goal is to get 100 bucks profit, paint job is not cost efficient.
Old 07-14-20, 09:12 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Copied from another thread...

Say your used bike is reasonably worth $1,000. Here's how you post on Craiglist to lower your final bike sale price, and by how much:
  • Only pictures of the non-drive side of the bike: subtract $400
  • Limited number of blurry pictures: subtract $400
  • Vague description that does not include list of major components: subtract $300
  • No listing of size: subtract $300
  • Use of all CAPS or all lower case run-on text. This indicates that posting was made by a 14 year old on a smart phone: Subtract $200
  • Seller indicates illiteracy through the inclusion of words such as: 'breaks', 'peddles' or 'helmut': Subtract $50 per use.
  • Highlighting how the bike comes with an irrelevant and likely worthless accessory such as a lock or helmut. This indicates that the seller is unclear as to what constitutes relative value. Plus we don't want your head lice, or have to spend an hour hacksawing off of your old lock: Subtract $50.
  • Indicating that the bike was made by Shimano: Subtract $500.
  • Use of exclamation marks or irrelevant juvenile expletives such as: "Awesome!!!": Subtract $50 per use.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-17-20, 03:09 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
It's better to buy bikes with mainly black color schemes. Any paint chip can be hidden quickly with black permanent markers. The marker parts are visible, but blend in very well with the old paint job so that people won't catch it unless they are picky. You can't do that with any other permanent markers due to different color intensities.
You obviously can just do a full on repaint of the bike, but if your goal is to get 100 bucks profit, paint job is not cost efficient.
Sorry, but I would never do this. The fix is not permanent, and I consider it to be pretty shady.

It is really a simple matter to touch up these chips with a paint brush and a small can of rustoleum gloss black. I believe you should fix a bike properly or leave it alone. Hiding problems is unethical.
Likes For kross57:
Old 07-23-20, 02:06 PM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
Just leave the chips and rust and call Patina when on the frame, it adds to the natural beauty of an older frame!
Old 08-06-20, 12:59 AM
Pedal303

Bikes: LOOK 595, Univega Viva Sport, Peugeot PSV, Trek 1400, Stranger BMX Custom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
Sorry, but I would never do this. The fix is not permanent, and I consider it to be pretty shady.

It is really a simple matter to touch up these chips with a paint brush and a small can of rustoleum gloss black. I believe you should fix a bike properly or leave it alone. Hiding problems is unethical.
Unethical
Old 08-25-20, 08:43 AM
seaweedsam

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does one determine it was made after 1997?
Old 09-25-20, 02:19 PM
mtb rider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too!
Old 09-25-20, 04:51 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by seaweedsam
How does one determine it was made after 1997?
Usually the serial number can be deciphered for that. Or even the components if they're still original.
Old 11-04-20, 12:39 PM
Guyatwork37

Bikes: Specialized Allez 3Rensho, Spcialized Roubaix Expert, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
So I've gotten in to bike flipping recently, mostly as a hobby at night after the kids go to bed and primarily to fun purchasing my own bike tools so I don't have to use my brother-in-laws. I've read this entire thread and it's been great, so thanks to all the posters of the past. I had a couple of quick questions for right now:

1) What's the current sales market like?
2) Is it better to wait until spring to list bikes?
3) Where are folks going nowadays for cheap consumables (e.g. tires, chains, tubes, bar tape, seats, etc.)?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-20, 12:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
@Guyatwork37, recently, the market was very favorable for sellers because, thanks to the pandemic, demand is way up and supply is down. Now that the weather is colder, it might be less so, but I don't know. Since the supply chain has probably not caught up, the sellers' market might still be good.

Normally it's better to wait until spring but maybe not now.

For bike supplies, I use my local bike shops, Amazon, jensonusa, and biketiresdirect.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-22-21, 05:32 AM
kross57

As far as photographing bikes for sale, what are the rules you folks use? I typically post 6 photos - drive side full bike, drive side front half, drive side rear, left side full bike, left side front, and left side rear. I do this against a wood fence and not in direct sunlight. This is for local sales - I do not ship. So far this seems to work fine, but I am curious about other approaches.
Old 01-22-21, 01:16 PM
curbtender

I try to include pictures of stickers/decals of frame material and model.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-31-21, 11:49 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Selling high $ bikes on Craig’s List

I flip 6-8 bikes a year. Most are $250 to $400 & are sold on Craig’s List locally. Once or twice a year I get a better one, $500-600 & those go on EBay. I’m currently working on one that is worth ~$1K & would like to avoid the EBay hassle. The Portland metro area market is good, would like feedback on how to handle this level sale. Yes, I’m ready for the barrage on scammers.
Thanks & regard,
Van
Old 02-01-21, 04:24 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
I flip 6-8 bikes a year. Most are $250 to $400 & are sold on Craig’s List locally. Once or twice a year I get a better one, $500-600 & those go on EBay. I’m currently working on one that is worth ~$1K & would like to avoid the EBay hassle. The Portland metro area market is good, would like feedback on how to handle this level sale. Yes, I’m ready for the barrage on scammers.
Thanks & regard,
Van
Have you ever used FB marketplace? That works well for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.