Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Mechanic Courses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Mechanic Courses

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 11:32 PM
juniorcat

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, LeMond Zurich, Trek Fuel EX8, Trek 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Mechanic Courses

I am looking into bike mechanic courses, specifically at United or Barnett. I like doing my own maintenance work on the chain and cassette, and want to know a ton more about what makes my bike go. Also, if something is amiss, I'd like to be able to fix it myself.

Anyone have any experience with either of these schools? Both seem like a good starting point.

Long-term, I'd like to parlay this into some sort of job at a bike shop or a big bicycle manufacturer that happens to be about 20 minutes from my house. My only job experience thus far has been practicing law, which was good for me until I figured out it wasn't. I know the pay in the bike industry is not awesome, but as I live a fairly spartan lifestyle without the burden of debt, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for any input on this issue.
Old 11-27-12, 11:44 AM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I would not want to pay for classes. This is the Park Tools bicycle repair book I would recommend instead to anyone with mechanical ability. https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-BBB-.../dp/B001B6NAW2

I haven't even read it myself, but it has been recommended a few times in these forums. I would get it if I did need one. It should have plenty of information on any tools you might need.

Just in case. People are very different, and maybe classes would work better for you.

I do all my own repairs, but I haven't needed help yet.
Old 11-27-12, 12:53 PM
umazuki

Bikes: Crossrip Elite, Bikesdirect tarck bike custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have any mechanical talent, you can pick up what to do as you go along (or you can watch YouTube videos). Bikes are not nearly as complicated, as say, cars. My advice? Build a bike up from parts, you'll learn a lot. Derailleurs/shifters are expensive, so I'd suggest a single speed/fixed. Or, you could strip and rebuild the bike you ride now.
Old 11-27-12, 01:51 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I like the SoHK (School of Hard Knocks).....Price is about the same and everything you learn,you will never forget.

I wanted to be a machinist when I was young.....so I hung around machine shops and worked for free on Sat. Now I own a machine shop and haven't made a penny since.....
Old 11-27-12, 02:07 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by umazuki
If you have any mechanical talent, you can pick up what to do as you go along (or you can watch YouTube videos). Bikes are not nearly as complicated, as say, cars. My advice? Build a bike up from parts, you'll learn a lot. Derailleurs/shifters are expensive, so I'd suggest a single speed/fixed. Or, you could strip and rebuild the bike you ride now.
I'll second this. Also, if there is a Performance Cycle anywhere near you, they usually offer 'Spin Doctor' classes, with very basic maintenance stuff available, but if my experience is any indication, you may be the only one that is there for a class on any given night, and you've got a bike mechanic all to yourself....and they love to 'talk shop'. I've been to a couple so far, and they have been quite helpful, even with the differences between a DF and my recumbent.
Old 11-27-12, 03:37 PM
juniorcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all! OK, I will pick up the Park Tool book - I already have a bunch of their tools (including bike stand) anyway Seems like the "school of hard knocks" is the number one choice, which sounds great to me. I just replaced my road bike, so I'll use the old one as my victim/guinea pig.

I just found out, also, that one of the LBS's in my town offers free bike mechanic classes every Wednesday ... but I'm a loyal customer of the other LBS, which does not offer any classes. Is there an "etiquette" problem I should consider here, or am I being silly?
Old 11-27-12, 03:48 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Look for co-ops and bike kitchens in your area- volunteer your time and gain some knowledge. Or hit the Park Tool site and see if there are any LBS's near by that participate in the Park Tool school program.
Old 11-27-12, 03:57 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find an old road bike from somebody's yard sale. Take it apart, an put back together again. Take pictures of the bike at each point of disassembly. Do this until you could do it blind folded. If you run into trouble, go to youtube, the LBS, the library, or a co-op, for mechanical assistance.
Old 11-27-12, 04:35 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Watch a few youtube videos, ain't nothing hard, no rocket science. I spent about $50 for tools and built up this sucker.

I read sheldonbrowndotcom then started building my own wheels too (before I even knew youtube existed). If you have any mechanical ability, it's all common sense IMO. I'd bet anyone with common sense can build up a bike most of the way other than maybe the BB or the fork area. That can be done by watching a couple youtube videos. Even that is nothing complicated, just having the right tools.

Old 11-27-12, 05:53 PM
juniorcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work Beanz! I ordered the Park Tool book and already have an old bike ('07 LeMond Zurich) that I can practice with. Now, as far as having "common sense," I think I still have some reserves
Old 11-27-12, 05:55 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Old 11-27-12, 06:24 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorcat
Nice work Beanz! I ordered the Park Tool book and already have an old bike ('07 LeMond Zurich) that I can practice with. Now, as far as having "common sense," I think I still have some reserves

Once you've mastered the road bike, start with MTN bikes, and focus on the suspended forks. When you're done with that, try to learn everything you can about all different types of brake systems (including disc brakes).
Old 11-27-12, 09:13 PM
chrism32205

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Park Big Blue Book is a good resource and handy to have on paper when you are wrenching. I have the BBB-1 (first edition).
Old 11-28-12, 09:15 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW: If you're interested in getting a job as a mechanic, having a certificate from a recognized school can be helpful.
Old 11-28-12, 10:37 AM
juniorcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
FWIW: If you're interested in getting a job as a mechanic, having a certificate from a recognized school can be helpful.
Aha - that does make sense. So, do you have any opinion on United vs. Barnett? Or some other certification program?
Old 11-28-12, 12:35 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aha - that does make sense. So, do you have any opinion on United vs. Barnett? Or some other certification program?
Becoming a bicycle mechanic isn't as technical as becoming an automobile mechanic. Most bike shops just want somebody who can perform basic maintenance on the average bicycle. Most bicycle mechanics don't have any certificate to display their talents. Besides, most don't make the kind of wage that would compensate for expenses paid for any formal bicycle educational course. Most bicycle mechanics graduated from the school of Hard Knocks. A few are even high school dropouts ( I know a couple).

I would suggest that you save your money and just practice disassembling various bicycles and then building them back up again, rather than attending any bicycle mechanics school. However, if you were to insist upon attending a bicycle mechanics school, just to recieve some kind of certification, I would recommend Barnett's School of Bicycle Mechanics over that of United.

United has a two week program that costs approximately $2000, while Barnett has a one week program that costs approximately $1000. In the end, you'll still receive a certificate officially announcing your "basic" bicycle mechanic skills.

I think that a better strategy would be to practice on building up your bicycle mechanic skills independently. Join a bicycle co-op and become a very active volunteer for about six months or so. Next, after rendering six months of really good dedicated service, I'd ask the co-op manager to write me a letter of recommendation. I would also take advantage of learning any bicycle mechanics while working along side of the actual bicycle mechanics who work within the co-op, itself. Some co-ops actually train interested parties to become bicycle mechanics.

Finally, at the end of the day, a letter of recommendation as a bicycle mechanic from a bicycle co-op manager, will mean more to a potential employer, than just a basic skills certificate from a bicycle mechanics school. That's because the certificate will state nothing about your actual level of expertise as a bicycle mechanic, and it will also state nothing about your personality or character.

On the other hand, a personal letter of recommendation will most certainly do all of those things...

Last edited by SlimRider; 11-28-12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 01:07 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Most of the wrenches around here are also competitive for their various shop sponsored teams. One of them has been tearing it up on the national CX circuit this year. Here's the USAC Ride Report record for one of the local shop managers.

Not saying that you can't get a job in a shop if you're not competitive, but it sure doesn't hurt if you are.
Old 11-28-12, 01:36 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meanwhile, just apply at all of the local bicycle shops for a position in sales, perhaps as a mechanic's assistant, or possibly even a bicycle mechanic intern-in-training.

Also, the big box bicycle stores need bicycle assemblers. Once you've self-trained, perhaps you could apply at DSG or even REI.....
Old 11-28-12, 03:57 PM
juniorcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK SlimRider, I'm going to try your route first. I spent a ton on law school and didn't use any of that knowledge in my practice, so I can see how practical experience would be worth more than the paper upon which a bike school cert would be printed.

Also, I am from your same region (nor Cal) so I'm sure your advice would be especially true here. I am very active in my local bicycle advocacy group, which sponsors bike clinics where mechanical newbies are welcome - love the idea of getting a letter of recommendation, fantastic!

There's also a weekly Wednesday bike clinic held at a LBS in my town that I can go to for free. Sadly, it's not at the LBS I use, so it will kind of feel like I'm cheating, but I'll just have to get over it.

It's going to be raining all weekend, so I've got my heart set on setting up shop in my living room with my old bike and Park Tool bike stand, my Park Tool BBB book that's set to arrive tomorrow, and all the cool Park Tools I'll need!

Just hoping the fact of my being a girl doesn't hinder a shop's interest in hiring me!
Old 11-28-12, 04:09 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK SlimRider, I'm going to try your route first. I spent a ton on law school and didn't use any of that knowledge in my practice, so I can see how practical experience would be worth more than the paper upon which a bike school cert would be printed.

Also, I am from your same region (nor Cal) so I'm sure your advice would be especially true here. I am very active in my local bicycle advocacy group, which sponsors bike clinics where mechanical newbies are welcome - love the idea of getting a letter of recommendation, fantastic!

There's also a weekly Wednesday bike clinic held at a LBS in my town that I can go to for free. Sadly, it's not at the LBS I use, so it will kind of feel like I'm cheating, but I'll just have to get over it.

It's going to be raining all weekend, so I've got my heart set on setting up shop in my living room with my old bike and Park Tool bike stand, my Park Tool BBB book that's set to arrive tomorrow, and all the cool Park Tools I'll need!

Just hoping the fact of my being a girl doesn't hinder a shop's interest in hiring me!
Hey there, Juniorcat!

If you're from the Bay Area or close to San Francisco. You can become a volunteer at the Bike Kitchen located near 17th and Florida street. They have frequent periodic bicycle mechanics classes. You can take either internal or external, bicycle mechanics classes. You can take these classes over and over again until you no longer have the need.

Furthermore, they train some volunteers to become bicycle mechanics. They would have absolutely no problem training you as a volunteer and then writing a letter of recommendation, afterwards.

So, there you go!

PS.

Since you're a girl, just go to Mike's Bikes in San Francisco and introduce yourself to Tamara Marsh. Let her know about your goal to become a bicycle mechanic. Ask Tamara about the best route for a girl to take in order to get a job in a bike shop like say..."Mike's Bikes"...

Last edited by SlimRider; 11-29-12 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 11:41 PM
juniorcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will check out Bike Kitchen, thanks! I'm in the south bay, but I go up to SF quite often. And, funny you should mention Mike's Bikes - that's the LBS here that offers weekly wrenching classes for free. I figure I'll go to all of them :-)

SO EXCITED!!!
Old 12-01-12, 07:34 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Juniorcat,

as a lawyer, you had quite a bit of training. You know more than just a legal secretary, or a para-legal. Maybe you should shoot for a higher goal. Look at the types that get hired by Specialized in Morgan Hill. They're engineers. Eventually you might want to know more than just the "how to" but the "why".

Maybe then the employment opportunities will be greater and perhaps just as rewarding and satisfying.
Old 12-01-12, 12:21 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Juniorcat,

as a lawyer, you had quite a bit of training. You know more than just a legal secretary, or a para-legal. Maybe you should shoot for a higher goal. Look at the types that get hired by Specialized in Morgan Hill. They're engineers. Eventually you might want to know more than just the "how to" but the "why".

Maybe then the employment opportunities will be greater and perhaps just as rewarding and satisfying.
I do completely understand what Garfield Cat is trying to tell you here. However, you must remember also to do that which makes you happy.

A bicycle's mechanic is considered as a few notches below that of a lawyer. However, if you don't have any appreciation for legal labor, then obviously some other type of alternative occupation would quite naturally be in order.

Medical doctors have switched to chefs...Engineers have become photographers...Teachers have become Taxi Cab drivers...And the list goes on...

PS.

As long as your new occupation makes you happy and it's honest, then just do it!

Always follow your heart...

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-01-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 03:23 PM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
big bicycle manufacturer that happens to be about 20 minutes from my house. - Talk to them ask them what you should do. Why don't you ty to work for them as a lwayer?

good starting point. - If you are wealthy, or not paying for it (veteran benefits or trust fund) then it might not be a bad investment. If the money is yours I would suggest you try to get a job in any capacity at a bicycle shop or coop and see for yourself what goes on there. Bike mechanic is the kind fo job where there is a lot of competition from new immigrants.

Score.org for business advice, hopefully they can talk you down.
Old 12-01-12, 10:19 PM
juniorcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garfield - Specialized is the "big bike manufacturer that's 20 minutes from my house." Would love to work there! They have a CEO who takes the cause of cycling quite personally, and lunchtime semi-mandatory rides. You'd have to try to keep me off those rides! They have what seems to be a "catch-all" job listing, so I'll try that - but I'm already signed up for a Trek Travel trip to Spain in the summer and own 2 Trek's, so I don't know if that would be a problem (nothing against Specialized - just happens that the only LBS in town when I bought the bikes carried Trek). I am thinking I want to get some wrenching experience a la SlimRider's suggestion and then apply after my Trek trip. That way, I have something to put on my resume besides my work as a lawyer. I drafted a resume that lists all the centuries I've done and my involvement in bike advocacy, but I think I should take time to build my bike tech knowledge before applying.

Slim - I don't think bike mechanics are a few notches below that of a lawyer. Nobody's ever told me a bike mechanic-denigrating joke, but lawyer jokes? I've got volumes I spent the day learning how to fix flats, remove/install my rear tire, and adjusting my brakes - and I felt more productive doing all that on a bike I've retired, than in anything I've done in the last few years in my "real" job. Add me to the list of people spending time/money learning one profession, then switching to something completely different later!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.