Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever had anything thrown at you from a moving car while riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 02:48 AM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't *wear a helmet anymore. I did for quite a few years but after the felt pads fell off a few years ago I just never got around to buying a new one. But *I'm gonna get a new one soon because the other day some jerk threw a bottle from a moving car at me and it just missed my head as it flew by. This*happened to me before a few years ago and also when I was walking along a street when I was a young boy. That bottle broke near me and some glass sharpnel cut my ankle. So...
Helmets! Protection not just form bad accidents, but also from bad people.
Old 12-01-14, 04:09 AM
Buckeye Jim

Bikes: Motobecane Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far just cigarette butts.
Old 12-01-14, 04:23 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Large cup of cold soda with ice.
Old 12-01-14, 05:36 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A full, but opened can of coke bounced off my helmet. Narrowly missed with an unopened bottle of beer. A carton of fries, no ketchup. Shot with a pellet gůn.

Scarier were a passenger who grabbed my elbow and tried to pull me down, and a car that forced me to the curb with its fender then took my bike.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 12-01-14 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 08:14 AM
principia 650

Bikes: 70's fleetwing single speed 1999 marin quake 5.0 mtb 2014 trek 7.4 FX principia 650 TLC time trial 2009 trek 6500 disc mtb mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as of yet i have not had anything "thrown at me"..but a few weeks ago i was riding along and a car on the other side of the rode hit a rock with it's tires and the rock shot towards me under my bike and off the guard rail next to me
Old 12-01-14, 08:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
yes.
Old 12-01-14, 11:32 AM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artkansas
A full, but opened can of coke bounced off my helmet. Narrowly missed with an unopened bottle of beer. A carton of fries, no ketchup. Shot with a pellet gůn.

Scarier were a passenger who grabbed my elbow and tried to pull me down, and a car that forced me to the curb with its fender then took my bike.
Jeeezus!
Old 12-01-14, 12:40 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I made two guys in a pickup wait an extra 3 seconds to make a right on red at an intersection where I had the green light. The passenger threw something that hit me in the small of my back. Whatever it was wasn't heavy enough or thrown hard enough to cause any damage or cause me to lose control. We flipped each other the bird and that was the end of it.

Rocks coming off the tires of oncoming vehicles, vehicles passing me, or even other bikes on a group ride have bounced off my glasses, helmet, or other body parts. So far no injuries but my wife was driving the family vehicle home from a cycling event last summer when a rock from a passing vehicle hit her windshield hard enough to not only break it but to penetrate it. The rock apparently didn't enter the vehicle but left a hole you could pass a pencil through and sprayed small splinters and bits of glass over the dash. She said it sounded like a shotgun being fired. If that had hit a cyclist I can image it causing significant injury or even a fatality, not counting the crash that would have likely been the result.
Old 12-01-14, 01:56 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Glass beer bottle at highway speed. An egg. Both missed. Romanian drivers are ****s, don't ride a unicycle near teenagers.
Old 12-01-14, 02:06 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Beer thrown directly at me, glass beer thrown directly at the path in front of me
Old 12-01-14, 02:42 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, where do you people ride? Here in NYC I've never had anything thrown at me...not counting the alarming frequency with which pedestrians throw themselves in front of my bike by blindly stepping out into the bike lane.
Old 12-01-14, 02:43 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Bottle (I think) thrown from a truck on a 55 MPH road. Luckily the person that threw it did not know how to lead a target and it missed me by at least 50 feet.
2. Cup of Sprite hit my frame and splashed a little on me.
3. Wasn't thrown but we were passing a golf course and a golf ball passed through our group. Those of us that saw it looked at each other and said, "wtf, was that a golf ball?"
Old 12-01-14, 04:56 PM
Granturismonut

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Cannondale Super 6, Cannondale CAADX disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. A taco with a direct hit in the back, messy but the kids that did it did not think out their escape plan and were caught at the red light a half block later. It did not end well for them.

2. A D cell battery also a direct hit in he back but my Camelbak took most of the hit. They got away....
Old 12-01-14, 06:51 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not on a bicycle.

But when I was younger,I used to ride my motorcycle with my Father. He used to wear an open-face helmet and would chew tobacco. I learned very quickly to dodge when he would turn his head a certain way.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-01-14, 07:37 PM
estrem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two large cups of soda. Missed.
An egg, broke on my foot.
While riding an organized ride out in the country, i heard some popping noises behind me. Just about then a pickup truck with kids in the back, flew by me. More popping sounds and a sudden pain on the side of my neck. Reached up to feel the spot and came up w a hand full of red liquid. What a shock. Upon further inspection i determined that i had been shot with a paintball. That could have ended badly but just stung for awhile.
Old 12-01-14, 07:37 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Corben
I don't *wear a helmet anymore. I did for quite a few years but after the felt pads fell off a few years ago I just never got around to buying a new one. But *I'm gonna get a new one soon because the other day some jerk threw a bottle from a moving car at me and it just missed my head as it flew by. This*happened to me before a few years ago and also when I was walking along a street when I was a young boy. That bottle broke near me and some glass sharpnel cut my ankle. So...
Helmets! Protection not just form bad accidents, but also from bad people.
I was shot at and hit by a b b ***,,twice by the same car within a half hours time
Old 12-02-14, 01:17 AM
Kip

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had soda cups thrown at me. Two high schoolers tossed a lighted firecracker at me from their car but it landed harmlessly on the ground.
Old 12-02-14, 03:15 AM
Corben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kip
I've had soda cups thrown at me. Two high schoolers tossed a lighted firecracker at me from their car but it landed harmlessly on the ground.
Oh yeah, me too. Forgot about that. Fire crackers!
i wonder if a sticky "what was tossed at you today on your ride?" would last long. I bet it happens everyday in America.
And Romania!

Last edited by Corben; 12-02-14 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-02-14, 09:34 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by principia 650
as of yet i have not had anything "thrown at me"..but a few weeks ago i was riding along and a car on the other side of the rode hit a rock with it's tires and the rock shot towards me under my bike and off the guard rail next to me
I find it's generally the other way around. I shoot rocks with my skinny tired bike much more often than cars shoot rocks at me. One time I shot a rock so fast off of the road that it hit a metal sided building 20 yards away and scared the crap out of me. (Because it hit so hard it sounded like a gunshot.) Another time I actually hit a car with a rock that my bike shot off. I felt bad for that one, but there was nothing I could do about it.
Old 12-02-14, 06:15 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
A bag of leftover fast-food hit me on the side of my face.
Old 12-02-14, 06:40 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've been hit buy a falling branch while cycling in the wind. I rode through a flock of frighten birds... one of which hit me in the chest. A hard shelled bug of some sort broke the skin just below my cycling glasses.

Once you walk away from the couch... life can seem risky. And it doesn't get any safer after you go outside.

I wouldn't ride without a helmet or the protection of cycling glasses. But I am not going to worry too much about using protective equipment for the dangers of being around other humans ether. My body needs the activity I get from being out and about. And a part of me needs the company of other humans.
Old 12-02-14, 07:01 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
The only thing I've had thrown at me was a live cat from a passing car window. Missed. Cat ran off at a million miles an hour.
Old 12-02-14, 08:27 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Only time I can remember having stuff thrown at me was more than a decade ago riding home from work when a couple of young ladies (!!) tossed a cup of soda pop at me as they drove past. It came close enough to me that I could smell that it was fruit-flavored. (Fanta?)
Old 12-02-14, 08:40 PM
joe4702

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An orange, thrown by one of 4 punks in a jeep. Missed by a mile.
I caught up to them at a light and told them what ****ty aim they had, as well as some other choice comments.
Old 12-03-14, 01:39 AM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never had anything thrown at me though I have had a car door open in my path and nearly hit me.

I'm reminded of the following scene from L.A. Story ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.