Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Discouraged with the used bike options out there, might have to go new....

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Discouraged with the used bike options out there, might have to go new....

Old 07-22-11, 01:41 PM
misskaz
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*makes plans to post a really annoying thread so TT will buy her a new bike*
Old 07-22-11, 01:48 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
*makes plans to post a really annoying thread so TT will buy her a new bike*
+1
Old 07-22-11, 02:05 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh
+1
Hahah, my next thread will be what messenger bag to buy...
Old 07-22-11, 06:21 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
The Kilo TT definitely has a track geometry. The current Langster Comp and S-Works are also track geometry. The regular Langsters (including the "City" editions) are roadie geometry. The older Langsters (pre-2007) were all track geometry as well. The way to tell is by looking at the HT and ST angles, HT length, and the BB drop. Steeper angles + short HT + higher BB height usually = track geometry.
Old 07-23-11, 10:22 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yummygooey
If you do that, we'll probably either just talk about food or post cute images of cats or epic images of flying squirrels.
Don't you flippin' dare:

I'm off to poke out my eyeballs with a stick.

PS Just get a kilo or something and ride it around/wrench on it for a bit. It'll teach you more about what to look for in the next bike...

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 07-23-11, 11:01 AM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I sent BD an email asking for sizing info on a Kilo TT Pro, should be interesting to see what they say.

I'm 5'6 roughly 30inch inseam (in socks only). I currently ride a Small BMC Streetfire which has the most weird Geo I've ever seen on a bike with a 530 tt and 460 s
https://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bike.../standard.html

I was re-fit again on this bike because I was getting hand numbness. He put on a 90 deg stem with a 20 degree rise.

Saddle height from BB 698mm 27.5inches
Saddle Nose to headtube 490mm 19.5inches

Kilo TT measurements:
47cm (c-c) is 50cm(c-t) with TT of 513mm and standover of 29 inches
50cm (c-c) is 53cm(c-t) with TT of 523mm and standover of 30.4 inches

I feel like the standover might be a touch uncomfortable off the bike but the 523mm is closer to my 540 now....however, I'm not sure with the 20 degree rise of the stem how that cuts down the distance...I like to ride in the drops a lot though....I have good flexibility and a good back.
Old 07-23-11, 12:54 PM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahahahahaha after all of this talk about wanting a $1000 15lb track bike with all of these qualities that it must have and OP ends up going for a Kilo TT. Jesus christ, BF can talk anyone into buying a TT, "Hey I'm looking for a full carbon road bike with SRAM Red, any advice" 8 pages later... "welp, I decided on the Kilo TT!"

Also, that Wabi Lightning looks like such a rad bike, I've been looking forward to lightweight FGs with road geometry, would love to buy something like that if I had the money.
Old 07-23-11, 02:32 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lol yeah. so you found the Wabi boring so you're buying a kilo and upgrading that instead
Old 07-23-11, 07:22 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol yeah. so you found the Wabi boring so you're buying a kilo and upgrading that instead
Kilo is 400. Half price of the wabi bike no one owns on this forum but everyone loves to claim is good. If they are so good why doesnt everyone here have one? Kilo tt appears to be proven by the fact thousands of people own them. I do not think wabi can make a similar claim.
Old 07-23-11, 07:35 PM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TejanoTrackie has stated numerous times that he owns one, and he is way more qualified to say what is and what isn't a good bike versus the thousands of people owning Kilo's who don't know the first things about bikes. The Wabi is exactly what you were looking for in your original post, under 1k, 16lbs stock, and in small sizes. I really don't know what more you could ask for. I haven't ridden or even seen one of these in person, so I'm not the one to talk to. But TejanoTrackie owns one and is very knowledgeable when it comes to bikes and he seems to love his.

I not saying the Kilo isn't a cool bike for $400, and chances are you'll get it and be happy with it. It just seems laughable to me because it doesn't meet any of the requirements that you were asking for.
Old 07-23-11, 07:38 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Everyone here doesn't have one because people are either on a budget close to $400 or if they have your funds, they tend to build their own. Plus as far as I can tell Wabis are a lot newer than Kilos and the word of mouth on them isn't nearly up to speed with BD.

The Kilo is only half the price if you ride it as it comes. The Wabi comes with better components, a better wheelset and is Reynolds
725 (for the classic). Based on the weight requirements a stock Lightning (which is aluminum) would be lighter than your kilo probably even after you replaced next to everything on it with lighter components.

"Kilo TT" is the "I've got $400 to spend bike, please help". It's a good bike option for the price, it is not a great bike and there are plenty of people here who want nothing to do with bikesdirect, and others who want nothing to do with Leaders and others who want nothing to do with Trek. Your experiences may vary for each. If I wanted a lightweight bike, the 15.1 lb Lightning for under $1k is absolutely the way I would go, especially if I wanted something "complete". I don't value weight the way you do, so I have a soma and a leader. Even if I didn't want lightweight but still wanted someone to send me a "complete" bike the Classic would be in my top 2 or 3 for sure.

I'm not trying to sh*t on the Kilo, I had one and a lot of people here ride them, let's just not confuse the reasons as to why so many people own them and why myself and others were pointing out your contradictions.

All Wabi Cycles framesets are warrantied for the life of
the original owner against defects in materials or
workmanship, and all parts and accessories are
warrantied for 2 years from the date of purchase. If you
do need to return an item to us:
Old 07-23-11, 07:48 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you want me to blow 850 on a bike less than a handful of people have. Are you working on commisionn or what?

Better wheel set? What kind of wheel set is that?

From wabi page it says
• Wheels: Sealed bearing hubs, 32 hole 14/15G DB stainless, 3 cross lacing, 19mm depth aero section rims with CNCed braking surface, 18T, 3/32" fixed cog

What's so special about these wheels? Who makes them?

Last edited by csj0952; 07-23-11 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 07:53 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
jesus christ dude, you're the reason so many older members are jaded to threads like this

I outlined the reasons why the Wabi is a better purchase for your "requirements". Wabi was hardly the only thing suggested, but it became clear you didn't know what you were talking about pretty early on and then it was clear you needed and wanted a "complete bike". You mentioned multiple times you had $1000 to spend, you wanted something light and you wanted something complete, so it came back to the Wabi again.

Stop being an ungrateful dou<hebag.
Old 07-23-11, 07:53 PM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Bikes: EAI Toyo Gojira (Godzilla)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csj0952
So you want me to blow 850 on a bike less than a handful of people have. Are you working on commisionn or what?
You completely missed his point. Re-read the post more carefully.
Old 07-23-11, 08:54 PM
MuppetMower

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several members that have ridden Wabi's. Everyone loves them. Try searching for some older threads. Not everyone has them because they are more expensive than a lot of peoples budget would allow for.

The wheels are made by Wabi. They are well made wheels that dont break the bank, and they are pretty light for their pricepoint.

You will probably be happy with whatever you get though.
Old 07-23-11, 09:49 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow

Reynolds 520 is "lesser" steel FYI.

Those wheels are hand stress relieved and made of better parts than the Kilo wheelset and the owner of Wabi is so pleasant to deal with; unlike the peeps over at BD.

Get whatever you want and don't be surprised if your bike doesn't achieve your desired weight.

Last edited by Squirrelli; 07-23-11 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 09:49 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jesus christ dude, you're the reason so many older members are jaded to threads like this

I outlined the reasons why the Wabi is a better purchase for your "requirements". Wabi was hardly the only thing suggested, but it became clear you didn't know what you were talking about pretty early on and then it was clear you needed and wanted a "complete bike". You mentioned multiple times you had $1000 to spend, you wanted something light and you wanted something complete, so it came back to the Wabi again.

Stop being an ungrateful dou<hebag.

There's a host of people complaining on these forums about how lax the geometry (71 degree headtube),how it has an integrated headset is lame, and how it's overpriced. What do you want from me? You guys told me to do the research so I did it.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...87-Wabi-Cycles

When have I said I'm ungrateful, I've thanked tons of people for their good advice. People like you come in here and suggest 1 thing, WABI, and then when I say 6 pages ago that I wasn't interested in the bike you ***** me out. I'd buy a trek T1 if I could find it complete in my area but I can't. So I'm going to buy something cheap (Kilo TT) and sit on it till I can find something better. I'm assuming the Kilo TT won't lose it's value too much if I throw it on ebay/craigslist. The fact that it's more well known should hold value more than a Wabi that noone has heard of outside of this forum.
Old 07-23-11, 09:53 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
though i will say your points on the wabi are pretty moot, its totally up to you.

i am nearly certain you will be happy with the wabi for its price, just the same as the kilo.
Old 07-23-11, 09:56 PM
nuhtowel

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, a few days at the beach and I miss this? Dude, you're kind of being a prick, what kind of fixed gear riding hipster is all about these name brands anyway? And doesn't it snow like 9 months out of the year in Rochester anyway?
Old 07-23-11, 09:56 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, I'm gonna get a wabi lightning so everyone will be happy here. Just out of curiosity though, what size would I be in a Kilo TT, see post #181 above. Thanks.
Old 07-23-11, 09:58 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude look how old that thread is. A lot changes in 1.5 years.

Any bike will lose it's value. Fixed fad is going out the window, anyways, so don't expect your Kilo to hold its value very well.
Old 07-23-11, 09:59 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is a "90 deg stem with a 20 degree rise"?

Do you mean 90mm?

If you were to get a Kilo TT, you should probably get the 50cm one because that one has the closest TT to what you're currently riding (assuming you're comfortable on your current setup).

Last edited by yummygooey; 07-23-11 at 10:02 PM. Reason: more deetz
Old 07-23-11, 10:01 PM
nuhtowel

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is a 90 degree stem with 20 degree rise?
90+20=110? I didn't get it either..
Old 07-23-11, 10:01 PM
MuppetMower

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get whatever bike you think looks the coolest.
Old 07-23-11, 10:13 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is a "90 deg stem with a 20 degree rise"?

Do you mean 90mm?

If you were to get a Kilo TT, you should probably get the 50cm one because that one has the closest TT to what you're currently riding (assuming you're comfortable on your current setup).
Yea 90mm, thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.