Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What do you do when a bike lane is ending?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What do you do when a bike lane is ending?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 08:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
What I find even more astonishing, however, is the number of persons who continue to respond to this nonsense as if it warranted serious discussion.
I wonder if it's because people don't take the time to read all the replies in a thread. Opinions like yours and mine have been formed after reading thread after thread after thread. We did not simply jump to a conclusion based on one incident. You would think readers of threads like these would understand that, but again, they may not be reading all the replies.

And I gave to wonder how long it will be before one or more of us gets heat from the mods.
Old 10-07-15, 08:49 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Two options really:
1) Contact your congressman and get them to mandate that the city lengthen the bike lane
2) Change lanes and continue on with life as if nothing happened
Old 10-07-15, 10:55 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPK79
Two options really:
1) Contact your congressman and get them to mandate that the city lengthen the bike lane
2) Change lanes and continue on with life as if nothing happened
I just continue, and the traffic has to accept it.
Old 10-07-15, 11:57 AM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually just stop and go back the way I came. No way would I ever continue riding on a street that didn't have a dedicated never ending bike lane.
Old 10-07-15, 12:04 PM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Congrats on that. However, a lot of people on youtube videos say they hate cyclists taking up the road and say that they aren't meant for it.
Yes, a lot of people on YouTube are wrong.
Old 10-07-15, 12:16 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
This has been a real problem for me and it's a dangerous situation. It's hard sometimes to just stop all of a sudden. Plus you have vehicles right behind you. (In California, that would be on my left.) So I can't just squeeze to my left, when a car could just hit me. I can look to my left really quick, I suppose. But the problem is that while I'm looking, I may have to simultaneously focus on putting on the brakes. And bikes don't brake as strong as a car. So I see it as a dangerous situation. Meanwhile, while you're in the ending lane, there is usually cars coming to my right for that intersection. Now today, I was lucky that there were no cars at the time, so I just squeezed to my left and stopped at the stop sign, and then turned left.
Move over before it ends so there's plenty of time to merge. Streams of cars have gaps which a bicycle can fit into. Traffic moving at normal speeds has long ones from traffic lights. Bumper to bumper traffic moves slower than cycling speed so you need less room.
Old 10-07-15, 12:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts

But I don't see why people want to ride in high traffic, just to ride in high traffic. It's like they want to prove a point to the cars.
It has nothing to do with making a point of any kind (for all but a few), and everything to do with getting from point A to point B, and living with and adapting to the real world.

Let's face some basic facts. 99% or more of the roads in the USA don't have bike lanes of any kind (let's not quibble, it might only be 98% or less), and until fairly recently that number was more like 99.999%. So anybody who rides a bicycle and wants to be able to go anywhere he pleases has to ride in mixed traffic on regular streets and roads. That's simple reality, and not necessarily a preference of any kind.

I've been riding in traffic for 50+ years and consider it as normal as driving or walking on the sidewalk. I'm not proving anything, just going about my daily life like everybody else, except for my choice of transport. I don't prefer heavy traffic, and when I have a choice will opt for different routes that lend themselves to a nicer ride.

But traffic is only one element of my road choices. Other factors like pavement, condition, road width, terrain, scenery, cross streets, stops along the way and just plain whim all enter into the decision. For instance, I have 5 basic routes to/from work, and while I use my first choice about 60% of the time, I'll switch to one of the others for any of the reasons above, Usually opting for a longer more scenic ride home at the end of the day, that may change my 6 mile trip to 30+ miles if it's a nice day.

So, unless you want to limit yourself to the options presented by bike lanes, you'll need to overcome your (unfounded) fears and venture out into traffic like the millions of us out there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-07-15, 12:51 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I wonder if it's because people don't take the time to read all the replies in a thread. Opinions like yours and mine have been formed after reading thread after thread after thread. We did not simply jump to a conclusion based on one incident. You would think readers of threads like these would understand that, but again, they may not be reading all the replies.

And I gave to wonder how long it will be before one or more of us gets heat from the mods.
Sigh. And so it continues ...
Old 10-07-15, 01:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
But I don't see why people want to ride in high traffic, just to ride in high traffic. It's like they want to prove a point to the cars.
I ride high traffic streets fairly often for the same reason people in small cars get on freeways with 80,000 pound trucks. Those roads get me to where I want to go faster and with fewer stops. Much of the time, I am riding to get somewhere. Makes sense to me to use the roads that go there. And it is in Oregon law that it is my right to do just that on the vast majority of secondary roads (and some of the freeways though I rarely use them). (Those busy roads often have fewer dogs, kids, unaware drivers opening doors - they tend to loose their doors on those streets if they don't look/think.)

Ben
Old 10-07-15, 01:19 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well the thing is, when you turn your head left, your body tends to flow that way too, which can be dangerous. Just by turning my head, I'm losing more control. And if the car is only like 20 feet behind me, while I'm in the lane, how can I signal him? You see what I mean?
1. As you turn your head, press your left knee into the top tube. This will keep you from drifting left.
2. Put out your left hand and point or signal where you're going.
Old 10-07-15, 01:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Indeed, playing electronic Patty-Cake is a requirement when responding to imaginative posts that emanate from the keyboards of BF dreamers. Must not create any negative waves that could upset delicate feelings.
Old 10-07-15, 05:48 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I come to a halt and wait for the men with the whitelining machine to come along and complete the work
Old 10-07-15, 06:23 PM
DreamRider85

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
*delete*
Old 10-07-15, 06:25 PM
DreamRider85

Well today, I was in the bike lanes of Skyline Blvd for a little and I knew the bike lane was ending. The problem though is there were a few cars behind me and I can only really see 10 to 15 feet behind me, when looking over my left shoulder. Cars can be just a little bit further back and I wouldn't know. Plus, cars are also turning to their right, right where the bike lane ends. So it's very tricky, mostly because I can only see 10 to 15 feet back while I'm peddling. And one of the other aspects that makes this a challenge is I'm descending downhill. People need to realize that there are situations that aren't blatantly obvious in terms of what to do or HOW to do it.
Old 10-07-15, 06:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Well today, I was in the bike lanes of Skyline Blvd for a little and I knew the bike lane was ending. The problem though is there were a few cars behind me and I can only really see 10 to 15 feet behind me, when looking over my left shoulder. Cars can be just a little bit further back and I wouldn't know. Plus, cars are also turning to their right, right where the bike lane ends. So it's very tricky, mostly because I can only see 10 to 15 feet back while I'm peddling. And one of the other aspects that makes this a challenge is I'm descending downhill. People need to realize that there are situations that aren't blatantly obvious in terms of what to do or HOW to do it.
The best kept secret of bicycling in traffic is that you don't need to see cars behind you until/unless you need to make a serious maneuver across their path.

They have o see you, and they do so very reliably. Faced with an obstacle up ahead, make a long and gradual shift to he left, and the traffic stream will do likewise. The key is to make it gradually, so the first car to pass (the one only a few feet behind you barely has to adjust, then each car will be adjusting more maintaining the needed clearance until you're fully in your new line.

The system works, no need to do it another way.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-07-15, 07:19 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The best kept secret of bicycling in traffic is that you don't need to see cars behind you until/unless you need to make a serious maneuver across their path.

They have o see you, and they do so very reliably. Faced with an obstacle up ahead, make a long and gradual shift to he left, and the traffic stream will do likewise. The key is to make it gradually, so the first car to pass (the one only a few feet behind you barely has to adjust, then each car will be adjusting more maintaining the needed clearance until you're fully in your new line.

The system works, no need to do it another way.

Great, but I still have to make sure there are no cars around me. What if there's car coming at 50 mph and I don't see him and he's wreckless? Doesn't it make sense for me to be able to know who's behind me?

Last edited by DreamRider85; 10-07-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 08:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Probably aren't any cars in Mom's basement
Old 10-07-15, 08:48 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Probably aren't any cars in Mom's basement
But there are cars on the road and that's what the topic is about baby
Old 10-07-15, 09:14 PM
FBinNY 

Great, but I still have to make sure there are no cars around me.
Why?

What if there's car coming at 50 mph and I don't see him and he's wreckless?
So a car might be coming up, how could you possibly determine who's at the wheel?

Doesn't it make sense for me to be able to know who's behind me?
It might make sense to you, and if they ever invent mental telepathy it might be handy. But the simple fact is that you'll never know who's behind you, just that someone is.

I've said it before and I repeat it. Your fears are all in your head, and you're projecting an imagined scenario that doesn't exist in the real world. I assume you cross streets and engage in all sorts of activities where people sometimes die. The only difference is that for some reason you've fixated on death by motor vehicle while bicycling (a truly rare event) and obsessing over it.

Some here are making light of your worries, others calling you a troll, but I have to wonder about the extent that reading some of the nonsense here in the A&S forum might have contributed to your distorted view of bicycling safety.

As i said earlier, I don't think that anything I might say will help you. Either seek out a professional who specializes in fears and phobias, or try to deal with the fear by working up to it riding in traffic on quieter streets, until you're comfortable there and ready to try busier streets.

Or

Continue as you are now, limiting yourself to the bike lanes you're comfortable on, and turning around and heading back when you come to an obstacle.

Old 10-07-15, 11:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

But there are cars on the road and that's what the topic is about baby
I thought the topic of all your threads was your peculiar nightmares and paranoia about cycling on the road in the presence of motorized vehicles. Got bad news for you, your fantasy that cars will be removed from streets and roads so you can ride in a car free world in the foreseeable future ain't very likely. The on topic solution may be found in the basement of your parent's house; return to it and keep pounding on the keyboard and a solution might be generated; it might work for a roomful of monkeys and it might work for you.
Old 10-08-15, 05:17 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I ride high traffic streets fairly often for the same reason people in small cars get on freeways with 80,000 pound trucks. Those roads get me to where I want to go faster and with fewer stops. Much of the time, I am riding to get somewhere. Makes sense to me to use the roads that go there. And it is in Oregon law that it is my right to do just that on the vast majority of secondary roads (and some of the freeways though I rarely use them). (Those busy roads often have fewer dogs, kids, unaware drivers opening doors - they tend to loose their doors on those streets if they don't look/think.)

Ben
Same here MD suburbs of DC.
Old 10-08-15, 05:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
OP:

Learn to look behind you without swerving. Practice by riding on the fogline, turn your head, hold your line. Start with looking over your left shoulder, since that's they way you'll look most of the time, but once you've mastered that, practice the right as well.

We do this with our juniors. After learning to look without swerving, we start on learning to drink, eat, and put on/take off clothing while moving.

It just takes practice, but these are skills that a young child (literally, not figuratively) can master.
Old 10-08-15, 06:15 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I only trust bike paths/lanes that are separated from vehicle lanes by (substantial) physical dividers. If the bike lanes are simply marked as such, I regard them as hardly different from unmarked at all. I think of them as telling drivers that they are not supposed to drive into them, but am fully aware they are capable of driving into them and nothing can prevent that from happening if they do (and they do it all the time).

Last edited by vol; 10-08-15 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-15, 06:21 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Skyline Blvd? I assume San Francisco? If so you need something like this: https://www.sfbike.org/resources/urb...ing-workshops/

If not sf then look up a similar organisation in your city. Someone else mentioned league of American bicyclists.

I really don't think the threads you are starting here and the answers you are getting (particularly when you dismiss most of the sensible replies you are getting) are going to make you a better or safer rider.

You need some real hands on teaching if you want to overcome your hangups.

Of course, you may not want to overcome your hangups. Some people are just like that, they think having a bunch of neuroses makes them special or more interesting. Or you could just be a troll like others say.
Old 10-08-15, 06:41 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Help!

Stuck at the end of a bike lane!

Phones almost dead!

Out of water and energy bars!

Flowers only, no ghost bike please!

Goodbye cruel world..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.