Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Tourist

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Tourist

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 04:36 PM
brianhamp

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 81 Posts
Raleigh Tourist

I have a question for all the Raleigh experts...
Is a Raleigh Tourist a DL-1?
Is a Superbe a DL-1?
What makes a Raleigh a DL-1?
Old 10-29-19, 04:54 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Not an expert, but:

A Sports has 26-inch (590) wheels. See the explanation here:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/sports.html

The DL-1 has giant 635 wheels and often rod-actuated brakes.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retrora.../roadster.html

Variations of either model can have caliper, hub, or rod brakes. I believe there are Superb versions of each, with all the fancy trimmings, however, the common Superb is a Sports.
Old 10-29-19, 07:39 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Every Tourist/DL-1 I've seen had the bolted-on seat stays as well and extremely relaxed-looking frame geometry.
Old 10-29-19, 09:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Thanks for the replies . So would this bike be a DL-1 model?
It has 28 inch wheels
40 spoke rear AW3 and 32 spoke front with Dyno
Bolt on seat stays

1949 Raleigh
I'm not sure if the Tourist name or the DL-1 model number applied to that bike for its entire production run but that sure looks like one of them to me. The Dynohub and light set might have made it a Superbe, if that name applied during that period.
Old 10-29-19, 09:55 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
The "DL-1" model name has become a generic term to refer to any Raleigh 28" roadster in common parlance - whether correct or incorrect.

To be specific though, the Raleigh DL-1 is the most commonly known and last incarnation (excluding the current Raleigh Tourist DeLuxe from Raleigh of Denmark) of the 28" wheel, rod-brake Raleigh roadster with bolt-on stays and relaxed frame geometry.

However, if you go back to the 1938 catalog (at least the one I have on reference), the "Tourist" is listed as the Model 21. The "DL" acronym wasn't used until the 1960's, IIRC.

This gets stranger by 1948 (at least), as Raleigh expanded their 28" rod-brake roadster lineup. A new budget-minded Popular - otherwise identical to the Tourist - came with a hockey stick guard - Dynohub and lighting optional. The Tourist was now the next model up, with chaincase, dry battery unit, and Dyonthree hub. A third model, the Superbe Tourist, also popped up - basically the Tourist with a fork lock and green enamel paint. To make it a bit more confusing,the Popular was the Model 1 while the Tourist was the Model 2. The Superbe Tourist? Model 3.

By 1951, the Tourist gained a fork lock as standard equipment. At this point, the Superbe Tourist seems to be differentiated only by the green enamel and a Dynofour hub (the specifications are given generically in the catalog).

There are probably some other oddities in the middle of it, but a lot of catalogs that I haven't even had time to sift through have popped up in the few years I've been absent from the hobby.

FYI, the "Superbe" moniker was plastered on the Sports and Dawn models too. In the 1950's, it seems to be Raleigh's marketing speak for green enamel, a fork lock, and possibly a Dynofour FG hub upgrade. By the 1960's, the Superbe was spun off as its own model, and was usually a variant of the conventional Raleigh Sports with a Dynohub and lighting (some years also came with the the S5 hub, but that's not exclusive to the Superbe).

Also, by the 1950s, the "Tourist" moniker became tacked onto the names of some of the 26" non-bolt-on-stay models, just to give the Enigma decrypters something to do after the war.

I'm still pretty convinced that your machine is a Popular by virtue of the hockey stick chainguard.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-31-19 at 05:29 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-30-19, 05:10 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
The DL-1 (Deluxe Model 1) was the last of the old fashioned English 28" wheel roadsters. Super relaxed frame angles, rod brakes, plain unribbed mudguards, simple frame lugs, bolt on seat stays and a rear fork instead of dropouts. Before the war, Raleigh made many different bikes with 26" and 28" wheels with different names and model numbers in this style, but they were all phased out in favor of the newer light roadster (Sports) frame except one 28" wheel model. In 1970, Raleigh started to market the DL-1 in the US as a bike especially for tall people since it was available with a 24" frame even though it was essentially a 1930s bicycle. Deluxe simply meant that it came standard with a Brooks saddle and one of those cheap vinyl saddle bags with straps that always broke. It remained in production all the way to the bitter end in 1980. That's why, while not common, you can find them here in the US.
Old 10-30-19, 05:40 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by BigChief
In 1970, Raleigh started to market the DL-1 in the US as a bike especially for tall people since it was available with a 24" frame even though it was essentially a 1930s bicycle.
Quick footnote to that - though it wasn't shown in contemporary US catalogs until 1970, I'm pretty sure it's availability in the US pre-dates 1970.

There are quite a few US-spec examples with 1968 hub dates (and '67, IIRC) out there - enough that it's a bit of a stretch to say that these are early 1970 production models. (Maybe Raleigh ran a test of the market in the Northeast?)

-Kurt

Old 10-30-19, 06:46 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by cudak888
Quick footnote to that - though it wasn't shown in contemporary US catalogs until 1970, I'm pretty sure it's availability in the US pre-dates 1970.

There are quite a few US-spec examples with 1968 hub dates (and '67, IIRC) out there - enough that it's a bit of a stretch to say that these are early 1970 production models. (Maybe Raleigh ran a test of the market in the Northeast?)

-Kurt
That could be. The catalogs we have to reference don't always show every model available. And then there's bikes that could have come into the US from Canada. Things like Gliders and CCMs show up in New England from time to time.
Old 10-30-19, 07:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
Fwiw, the 1947-48 UK Raleigh catalog does not show the DL.1 as an available model:

Old 10-31-19, 05:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I have removed the silver spray paint and there are no decals anymore so not really sure what it is. All I know is its a 1949 Raleigh.
Any pictures of the bike back in it's original green?

-Kurt

Old 10-31-19, 08:02 AM
BigChief 

Thanks everyone. You all have given me a wealth of information. It is greatly appreciated.

Brian

PS: New tires came today so I will be putting the Popular back together and will be posting pictures when I'm finished. Total strip down....
I always like to see pictures of projects as they come along. So please don't feel that unfinished pictures would not be interesting to us. There's no catalog reference that I know of for this Model 1 version. Looks to be a 22" frame and the green color is rare on these. Looks like the original Brooks B73 saddle.Cool bike
Old 10-31-19, 11:27 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
One Raleigh Record Ace, please.

Pardon, 39 pounds 5 shillings? My good man, here is 40 pounds. Please keep the change, and a merry Christmas to you.
Likes For Roll-Monroe-Co:
Old 10-31-19, 06:01 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
Here's the 1947-48 catalog page for the Popular:

In this catalog, at least, anything designated as a "tourist" has a full chain case. Non-tourist-designated bikes have a hockey stick.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-31-19, 08:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Good morning. I have a couple pictures of the bike however it is in a couple pieces.. It has no decals and some of the paint is rough. I will post more this weekend of the bike completed.
For now here is a "Work in Progress"
It looks pretty darn good from this POV! Looking forward to seeing how the work in progress progresses.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-31-19, 09:31 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Alas, 70's DL-1's were badged as Tourists north of the 49th..
Looking for pics...Randy had one.

Last edited by clubman; 11-01-19 at 06:36 AM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 11-04-19, 10:29 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

-Kurt
I do remember on some of my early visits to A.R. Adams Cycle in Erie back in 1969 (before I started working there) that Merle had at least one DL-1 in stock and on the floor at the time. Most likely his personal bike. He was a great believer in the model (being 6'3" with commensurate inseam length) and tried selling it constantly throughout the time that I worked there. Which could get pretty amusing given that all people wanted during most of my tenure was 'racing' 10-speeds. Some of this was cultural within the shop. A.R. Adams Cycle started out in 1914 and by the time I was there was a Schwinn/Columbia/Raleigh dealership, then adding on other 10-speed brands to meet market demand while slowly doing away with Columbia (they were getting too cheap). Merle definitely had his father's tastes in bicycles.

And passed a lot of it on to me. My commuters back there were totally Sports and Twentys, and he gave me an appreciation for the Tourist that lasts thru today. That's my daily rider out of the current stable of 19.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-04-19, 02:00 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts

Here's my DL-1 Tourist from 1975. This is the 24" version and I've heard there are also 22" versions of this model.

Also, the handlebars on your bike look more like north road bars than what I've seen on DL-1s. Is your bike green? That would be an additional difference from DL-1s that, from everything I've seen, are black.