Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

61cm Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 05:24 AM
kavalk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
61cm Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

I currently own a 61cm Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra frameset from the early 1990s. I posted it for sale on a vintage / classic bicycle group I belong to and was not able to sell the frameset. I went to the trouble of having a long time bicycle mechanic / frame builder critique the frameset. I cannot help but think the critique hurt the ability to sell the frameset. Of course, the possibility that I asked too much for the frameset is also possible. I have included the critique as follows:

Recently Keith Andrews asked me to evaluate his Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra frame and fork. It measures as a 60.5 seat tube c-c, 59cm top tube c-c, 41.5cm chain stay (aprox) with a 36x24 BB shell 70mm wide.

The paint shows many minor chips and such although none that are major. The chrome on stay/blade ends is in good shape. No dents, dings, ripples, cracks or other structural issues are found. The BB and steerer threads are in good shape. The drop out screws are freely moving. The seat binder area is not deformed, the 27.2 post fits snuggly and tightens well. Viewable interior has no rust. All shorelines and brazing look nice with only a few tiny points of minor lack of filler.

The included Shimano Dura Ace (7400?) is in rough shape, has had the retainers replaced with full compliment of balls and turns with indexed roughness when adjusted to no slop. The Shimano UN70 BB cartridge is smooth and feels well lubricated. The seat binder bolt is clean and straight. The seat post and seat are well used, the post shows typical scratches from insertions.

I did an alignment check on both the frame and fork. The main frame has about .001” of twist over 8.5” Seat tube WRT head tube). The seat tube and down tubes have about .100” of deviation from the shell’s LH face measured at the tube ends. The rear triangle is about .040” off center WRT the main triangle with the drop out widths about 126mm. Drop out parallelness is fairly close. The fork’s dropout width is about 102mm, well centered on the steerer’s axis. The blade lengths are nearly exactly the same, the wheel centers well. Some small crown/dropout twist exists and the dropout parallelnessis slightly off.

Assessment- The frame is in pretty good condition and rather straight. All the frame’s alignment measurements are within common production tolerances if not better. The fork is less so but still nice and easily corrected.

Actions- The dropout screws were lubed with PB blaster then Triflow. The drop outs were aligned more parallel. The seat tube was honed internally to reduce any burrs. Bottle boss bolts were replaced with stainless steel button head bolts. The fork blades were set to minimize the twist and the drop outs were also aligned more parallel. The headset was cleaned, lubed with Phil grease and reassembled. The BB was left uninstalled.

Conclusion- The frame and fork are as straight and un damaged as one can expect for a many yearold rider. I expect this frame/fork to continue bring the next rider miles of positive experience. Although not showroom condition it is a good example of this mark and model. Andy

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old 07-26-20, 11:18 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Hard to say without some pictures to determine cosmetic condition, but offhand I’d say that the inspection and review basically said it’s in solid condition.
Could be price, could be size, could be paint scheme.
Pics?
Old 07-26-20, 03:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Even as a Newbie, you can upload photos to your Album page.
@kavalk's Albums:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/473651

If the headset is trash, then it is nice to hold everything together, but doesn't add anything to the frame, and may in fact detract from it.

It sounds like the frame is pretty heavily used.

61cm is good for some, but knocks out a lot of potential buyers.

Your frame should sell, but you have to find a price that buyers are willing to pay.
Old 07-26-20, 03:50 PM
kavalk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos are in my album.
Old 07-26-20, 04:26 PM
CliffordK

There are a couple of additional photos in the album linked above. Bottom Bracket, Dropouts, etc.

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/18632036
Old 07-26-20, 04:58 PM
CliffordK

How much were you asking for the frame?

To get top dollar, you really need to sell it on some kind of a nationwide venue like E-Bay. BikeForums also has a C&V sales section.

Ideally, you might be able to get upwards of $1000 for the frame, but at that price, it won't sell very quickly. How much patience do you have?

I'd probably look at around $500 for the frame, plus or minus a bit.

Here is this bike on E-Bay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Merckx...m/333659119527

Complete bike, lots of Dura Ace. $1200.

That would tend to put an upward bound on your frame at about $500 less than that, or about $700 (noting, of course, that the bike above hasn't sold for the asking price).
Old 07-26-20, 07:24 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Last Merckx frame I sold was a perfect (even by my standards) 56 cm Corsa Columbus SL in Team Telekom colorway for $600 on eBay.
More desireable paint scheme and more popular sizing than this one.
Discuss.
Old 07-26-20, 07:38 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by rccardr
Last Merckx frame I sold was a perfect (even by my standards) 56 cm Corsa Columbus SL in Team Telekom colorway for $600 on eBay.
More desireable paint scheme and more popular sizing than this one.
Discuss.
Is the Corsa Extra one model above the Corsa?

What is the tubing on this frame? Columbus Something?

Would Reynolds 753 be more desirable?

I do think the red is a little plain, but probably points to an earlier model. I saw there are some Serial Number decoders online if one wishes.

I've got a Merckx Corsa, red/white/blue. It is a pretty frame, but I'm not real happy with the very thick decals, so I might tend to a frame with better decal work.
Old 07-26-20, 09:15 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
The price you were asking on the other forum was a reasonable one, less than what has been suggested here. I was tempted myself: If my finances were a little better right now I'd be more than tempted.
I feel that the appraisal by the framebuilder was reassuring. Sometimes these things take time, especially with frames at the larger and smaller ends of the spectrum.
Brent