Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 03:05 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear it TKP.
Old 04-20-17, 03:14 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Awesome. We used to visit my MIL in Irvine so I enjoyed riding up and down the OC coast, but I was never brave enough to ride into Anaheim
plenty of routes to do it, but there's also this santa ana river trail which would let one ride from the coast right through anaheim (and beyond) all on bike path.

the stretch from laguna beach to newport beach, along the coast, would be a bigger worry for me based on my riding there!

riding on camp pendleton was cool. not sure why they let me ride in the interior, but i'm glad they did.
Old 04-20-17, 03:16 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tetonrider
riding on camp pendleton was cool. not sure why they let me ride in the interior, but i'm glad they did.
Maybe they were using you for target acquisition practice?
Old 04-20-17, 03:20 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
This is my experience with the vectors as well. Good to hear the consistency is a strong point on the p1 pedals. Will look into pricing for those soon. I really just want consistent numbers when I swap.
I wouldn't be so quick on that one.

I don't have personal, long-term experience with the P1s (have only installed them once and worked with one rider), but I'm starting to hear of issues with them as people gain more experience.

This is from a group of coaches who, as a rule, tend to see a wider range of devices than an individual athlete might see.

I would not put them in the category of the PT hub or other confirmed, reliable meters quite yet.

They do have their perks and seem to be the current champ for portability.

"More consistent than the Vector" is a VERY low bar. (That is sad -- those things weren't cheap.)
Old 04-20-17, 03:30 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Maybe they were using you for target acquisition practice?
it's possible. wish they would have put me out of my misery, then!
Old 04-20-17, 03:37 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
plenty of routes to do it, but there's also this santa ana river trail which would let one ride from the coast right through anaheim (and beyond) all on bike path.

the stretch from laguna beach to newport beach, along the coast, would be a bigger worry for me based on my riding there!

I'm doing this route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/8376533

Hopefully nothing too sketchy!
Old 04-20-17, 03:40 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
I'm doing this route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/8376533

Hopefully nothing too sketchy!
like i said, that LB->NB section is what would concern me. people just aren't paying attention on those roads, and i guess the situation is so bad in terms of cyclists and pedestrians getting killed that there's a community discussion around it. i was definitely the most tense on those roads.
Old 04-20-17, 03:47 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode my TT bike on the open road on Tuesday night and decided to grow some balls and not be so scared. Descended/turned/etc in the sticks and built up a ton of confidence on the bike. At one point in the ride I saw a rider I knew up ahead and I proceeded to chase for 3-4 minutes to catch up with him and I wasn't thinking about the bike at all, just about going fast. I think after that something 'clicked' and I instantly felt comfortable on the bike. Rode it again today, and I'm now where I naively expected to be when I first bought the bike steering-comfort wise. Only took 150mi total riding, which is super surprising because about 50 miles in and I was worried itd take weeks to get comfortable.

I do have a large bruise on my knee from the 3-4 times I bumped it hard into my handlebars when trying to stand and climb at points like I was on a road bike (i forget sometimes to hold the bike out in front of me with my weight back when I stand), but thats pretty minor.

I worry I'm spending too much time on the TT bike (and getting a lot less TSS for it!), but its fun because its still novel and a new toy. I'm racing tomorrow and Sunday and I've only ridden my race bike once in the last week - going to be exciting.
Old 04-20-17, 03:53 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have personal, long-term experience with the P1s (have only installed them once and worked with one rider), but I'm starting to hear of issues with them as people gain more experience.

This is from a group of coaches who, as a rule, tend to see a wider range of devices than an individual athlete might see.

I would not put them in the category of the PT hub or other confirmed, reliable meters quite yet.

"More consistent than the Vector" is a VERY low bar. (That is sad -- those things weren't cheap.)
I can buy this. I totally agree with the PT hub being dead simple (I had one on my previous spare bike), and the Vector is indeed a low bar. I think I also care less about any small issues with my P1 because its going to be on a bike I use less, and its not my daily driver. As I said, all I can claim is after 700km of use (pretty minimal) I haven't seen anything overtly suspicious.
Old 04-20-17, 05:54 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I tried tempting the rain gods. They laughed in my face (thunder and lightning) and spit in my face (started raining just I got in my apartment..then an absolute downpour).

Tried to squeeze in a quick ride before the storms and failed. Did some one legged stuff drills in the 20 minutes I was riding. My right leg is so much weaker than my left (right hip and leg is the side I have had issues with that has had me going to PT every other month the last 2.5 years). I should do some right leg only pedaling drills to try and strengthen it.
Old 04-21-17, 05:48 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forced myself out of bed at 4:30 to inject 240cc of coffee and exhale phlegm at least once every 20' along a short typically fast route.
Old 04-21-17, 09:13 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

I'm so offended by the lack of cornering clearance on the P1s that that's more than enough reason for me to stay away. A pity, because I was very intrigued. But I currently ride Speedplays and my shoes have scuffs on the sides. No thanks, I don't want to be picking gravel out of my teeth.
Old 04-21-17, 10:13 AM
wktmeow

Did some Z2 and met with my coach to do some skills practice. He showed me some cornering techniques that definitely help with my confidence, and had me do some drills to ingrain them.

Then we worked on sprint technique, and I was able to hit some decent numbers again with the new PM. I'd done a couple of test sprints last week and the watts were disappointingly low, barely breaking 1100w, but yesterday I peaked at 1376, held 1275 for 5, and 1172 for 10, so pretty stoked about that.

Originally Posted by scheibo
I do have a large bruise on my knee from the 3-4 times I bumped it hard into my handlebars when trying to stand and climb at points like I was on a road bike (i forget sometimes to hold the bike out in front of me with my weight back when I stand), but thats pretty minor.
Not sure if you're set with your base bar, but on my HED Corsair, the pads fold up to get out of the way for climbing, kinda nice

Last edited by wktmeow; 04-21-17 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 03:21 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I'm so offended by the lack of cornering clearance on the P1s that that's more than enough reason for me to stay away. A pity, because I was very intrigued. But I currently ride Speedplays and my shoes have scuffs on the sides. No thanks, I don't want to be picking gravel out of my teeth.
2-3° according to https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/...ls-review.html, doesn't seem to big a sacrifice. However, I'm not the kind of rider who does any sort of aggressive cornering, so maybe it is a big difference, what do I know?
Old 04-21-17, 03:23 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Not sure if you're set with your base bar, but on my HED Corsair, the pads fold up to get out of the way for climbing, kinda nice
I'm not hitting the pads, I'm hitting the base bar. It's really not an issue, just a habit I need to break. I sometimes hit my knees on the bar on my road bike as well when climbing, but its a lot more forgiving.
Old 04-21-17, 03:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
1:20 of hammering with some teammates today. Set some new power maxes on the vectors. Tapering starting to come into full effect. This is probably my last hard ride before nationals. ATL at 97, CTL at 101. Probably realistically a bit lower than that as I haven't tested my FTP in quite a while. Definitely felt fresh once we got moving into this ride. Don't like how my teammates ride around traffic. Been awful hesitant around any cars since my incident a few weeks ago. I'm sure I'll get over it soon enough though.

Edit: after looking at TP and my TSS. My FTP is definitely out of line for the current calibration of my Vectors. .98 IF with 141 tss in 1:29 of riding. It wasn't that hard of a ride. Just blowing up my legs on climbs.

Last edited by Ttoc6; 04-21-17 at 03:46 PM. Reason: TP
Old 04-21-17, 06:08 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Openers.

Hitting a new 1 minute PR is normal for openers, right?
Old 04-21-17, 06:55 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
2-3° according to https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/...ls-review.html, doesn't seem to big a sacrifice. However, I'm not the kind of rider who does any sort of aggressive cornering, so maybe it is a big difference, what do I know?
It's the difference between a gentle scrape and a complete dig, so yeah it matters. Like I said, I've got scuffs on the sides of my shoes from pedaling deep into corners. And I'm riding Speedplay Zeros, which allow more lean angle than Keos. I appreciate DC Rainmaker attempting to address this question, but to be frank he's a triathlete and just doesn't have the necessary experience to assess this. Would I adjust? Sure. Do I want to? No.
Old 04-22-17, 11:42 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Total of 3 hours between 3 rides yesterday + 3 hours this morning to kick off a couple week training block before resuming racing.

Might not clear the 5's before seasons end with the amount of racing going on outside USAC this year. Stability of putting together a solid season to build upon next year was always my bigger concern. Eight weeks from now is historically when I start thinking about knocking off to go sit in the shade with a cool drink. Whichever way this goes my plan is to get ten legal mass starts and then worry about what's to come.
Old 04-22-17, 08:46 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
3:30 group ride today. Suepr chill except the climbs which were tough, but not racing. Overall, very glad I got outside. THe pace was moving, but not hard. Climbing felt good, power was up there.

I pinch flatted on some crappy road and didn't quite get it all the way inflated with a hand pump after getting the tube changed so I had to stop the group twice, which always feels bad. But another dude flatted with a big piece of glass on his tubeless to the point where he had no sealant left in the tire. That stop took a while to fix...
Old 04-22-17, 11:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Local Saturday group. Surprised that it was as fast as it was. It's a good sign.
Old 04-23-17, 01:48 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Rode my TT bike on the open road on Tuesday night and decided to grow some balls and not be so scared. Descended/turned/etc in the sticks and built up a ton of confidence on the bike. At one point in the ride I saw a rider I knew up ahead and I proceeded to chase for 3-4 minutes to catch up with him and I wasn't thinking about the bike at all, just about going fast. I think after that something 'clicked' and I instantly felt comfortable on the bike. Rode it again today, and I'm now where I naively expected to be when I first bought the bike steering-comfort wise. Only took 150mi total riding, which is super surprising because about 50 miles in and I was worried itd take weeks to get comfortable.

I worry I'm spending too much time on the TT bike (and getting a lot less TSS for it!), but its fun because its still novel and a new toy. I'm racing tomorrow and Sunday and I've only ridden my race bike once in the last week - going to be exciting.
I spend as much as 50% of my training time on my TT bike. 4-6 hours per week.
Old 04-23-17, 10:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
Today I scrapped my (planned) 4 hour z2 road ride for a 2 hr z-whatever MTB ride . I wanted a lazy Sunday morning and didn't feel like getting up early and 'on the grind' - and it feels great .

Taking off now - peace!

Last edited by TMonk; 04-23-17 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-23-17, 11:41 AM
wktmeow

Made it to Disneyland yesterday! Took way longer than I had planned. Bit of a breeze fighting me most of the way, plus the heat so I had to stop for water a few times, and then getting lost and fighting my way through traffic by the beach. Also, Garmin didn't charge the night before and ended up actually draining itself completely, so I had to use the phone for Strava until it was down to 10%, at which point I had to put it into power saving mode to contact the wife when I got there, so kinda stressful, but fun. Today I have to do big gear work but probably not adding much z2 to it as I'd planned, as it is I'm at 14h for the week which is pretty big for me.
Old 04-23-17, 08:57 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I worked my day job about 75 hrs last week and only managed to find 2.5 hrs on the bike.

I ordered a new Kickr to treat myself tho. Probably going to order a new CAAD at some point too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.