Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike selection for tall 8 year old girl

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 04:39 PM
lc130

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks,

I love cycling and I'm hoping my 8 year old will catch the bug too. I bought her a Specialized Rock Hopper a few years ago and she just learned to ride it recently after outgrowing it. My research for a new bike has lead me to Trek Shift 1. The shop advises 13 inch frame and 26 inch wheels. I like the Shift 1 but it seems costly ($440) when I have no idea whether she'll abandon it after a few laps around the block.

Is their a lower cost bike that isn't considered a heavy, "toy bike".

Any advice is appreciated!

Kelly
Old 10-16-15, 06:40 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
We are in the same boat. My research so far seems to indicate you can have light or cheap, but not both, in a kid's bike. Islabikes High quality lightweight children?s bikes from Islabikes has what looks like some great, well-fitting, and superbly light (for a kid's bike). But the prices are not what you would consider inexpensive. On the bright side, the resale value seems to be quite high.
Old 10-16-15, 07:11 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I can't see paying that for what you're getting. There is many low top tube MTB with better components for less money. For a kid that's going to outgrow it I'd definitely look at something used. I got my son a used Diamond Back on CL's for $40, 24" with Shimano trigger shifters 3X8. He's now 5'6" and I've told him if he wants to ride we'd get him a better bike but he's more into B-ball. I'm glad I didn't spend $400+ for what he's used the DB.