Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New to cycling - did I over buy with a Roubaix?

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 08-17-19, 07:12 PM
rubynewbie

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL 6 Womens’s and 2018 Cannondale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 8 Posts

Hello everyone. I am a 53 yr old 200# (and dropping 1-2 pounds a week) 5'3" woman new to cycling. Due to being on a new prescription that carries with it an increased chance of blood clots, heart attack, and stroke (yay) I am following my Dr.'s advice and starting to exercise more. I have been riding my old way-too-large bike but really feeling like I would enjoy the activity more if I had a better bike more suited to road cycling and that actually fit me. So I went to a local bike shop yesterday where I tried some bikes out and came home with a brand new 2019 Specialized Roubaix Sport. My question is, did I over buy? My husband is extremely angry that that I spent $2430 on a bike to get exercise on and also says that the carbon fiber frame is not only an excessive waste of money for my level, but also it won't hold up, especially under my weight. What do you experts say? Did I make a mistake in my purchase? He says I should return it (don't even know if I can) and get something 1/2 the price. I bought it with my own money, not his, he is just angry and thinks I am an idiot for buying such a high end bike.
Likes For rubynewbie:
Old 08-17-19, 10:42 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Hello and welcome, Ruby!!

You might want to mention to your husband it's cheaper to spend 2430 on a bike than it is on a doctor bill.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 08-20-19, 06:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Welcome!
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 08-20-19, 06:51 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rubynewbie
Hello everyone. I am a 53 yr old 200# (and dropping 1-2 pounds a week) 5'3" woman new to cycling. Due to being on a new prescription that carries with it an increased chance of blood clots, heart attack, and stroke (yay) I am following my Dr.'s advice and starting to exercise more. I have been riding my old way-too-large bike but really feeling like I would enjoy the activity more if I had a better bike more suited to road cycling and that actually fit me. So I went to a local bike shop yesterday where I tried some bikes out and came home with a brand new 2019 Specialized Roubaix Sport. My question is, did I over buy? My husband is extremely angry that that I spent $2430 on a bike to get exercise on and also says that the carbon fiber frame is not only an excessive waste of money for my level, but also it won't hold up, especially under my weight. What do you experts say? Did I make a mistake in my purchase? He says I should return it (don't even know if I can) and get something 1/2 the price. I bought it with my own money, not his, he is just angry and thinks I am an idiot for buying such a high end bike.
Did you ride it? Do you like it? The frame will hold you OK.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 08-20-19 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 08-21-19, 04:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, rubynewbie! No such thing as "overbuying". Enjoy your bike!
Likes For LAJ:
Old 08-21-19, 04:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
My husband is extremely angry that that I spent $2430 on a bike
Newbie mistake telling your husband the actual price.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-21-19, 04:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There's an old joke that goes "my greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my bikes for what I told her they cost."

Anyway, welcome to BF Ruby. That's a great bike, it won't hold you back, and it will certainly hold up under you. I have a teammate who races crits on a Roubaix and he sometimes gets over 225.

Ride it in good health!
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-21-19, 05:45 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
This thread appears to be a duplicate of a thread in over 50. She returned the bike and is currently searching for a different one.
Likes For Baboo:
Old 08-22-19, 09:14 PM
St8kout

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Although I don't have the same health problems, age is catching up to me and my Nordictrack treadmill just doesn't cut it anymore. It's just too routine to stay motivated, which is why I'm bike shopping. I think buying a lightweight (ie expensive) bike is justified so you use it more often without getting discouraged. Let's face it. If you REALLY wanted to buy a 'Fitness' bike, you'd buy some old clunker with a rusty chain and squeaky wheels that takes a huge effort to pedal, but of course you'd get discouraged really quick. You buy something that makes biking fun and you're apt to stick with it.
Old 08-23-19, 01:06 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Welcome Ruby,

You should certainly be able purchase what you want regardless of price if it makes you happy; after all "feeling good about yourself and what you do" is a health benefit in and of itself. I work in the health/medical industry, and stress reduction is one of the greatest means of improving many aspects of your health (high blood pressure, etc.) in the first place without taking medications, undergoing therapy, etc.

That being said, I've bought a bike more expensive than what you paid, a used bike over 30 years old that I don't ride. I bought it as more of an investment than an exercise/recreation/competition "tool" (taken for a "slow" vintage ride now and then). I would not question your purchase, only the person who sold it to you given that you explained why and what you were trying to accomplish; regardless of whether you had a million to spend or just a hundred. I'm single so I don't face the domestic politics that you do, and I don't have to justify what I do to anyone (although my friends and girlfriend have raised an eyebrow or two; but hey, they know me by now!).

First thing for any cyclist (veteran, new, and/or long time returning) is to have a bike that fits you comfortably and that operates properly (unless you like to do some wrenching yourself and/or get it professionally serviced); even new bikes aren't always assembled/set up properly (I'm talking from Walmart all the way to "professional" shops); it is not uncommon to get on something that has loose parts, bad or no brakes, etc.

If I was that sales person (I've run my own sales and service business) I would try to determine your needs and wants and explain to you the benefits and disadvantages of a range of products regardless of price (I don't like the selling on commission theory; only urges the salesperson try to make the deal which is more advantageous to themselves in many cases; they have to eat too!, but I'm not trying to make someone's "boat payment" for them either). I relate this to purchasing anything regardless of price; I like craft beer, but the $3 bottle is just as, and quite often is more satisfying than the $10, and I can get 3 of them, Yeah!

Buying a new or used high end bike is no more advantageous than buying a lower range model if you are not going to, or are not able to take advantage of the features/design. Chances are I could put you on two bikes of similar design and function, without reference to price, and you probably would not notice the difference in your riding style/use with either bike. You might at that point just go on personal preference; overall look, color, etc. If you still wanted the more expensive ride that's your prerogative, but at least I've shown and explained all the options; the rest is up to you. I've actually tried to get customers to buy a lesser (not in quality) product based on what they told me only to have them opt for the "bells and whistles" model; at that point I feel fine because I have enabled them to make an educated decision and I've done due diligence on my part in providing them everything to make that decision. I always provide an opt out policy (of course the caveat of return it in "one piece", having PROPERLY FUNCTIONING "demo" models help a lot); and it has always brought me return business because they are very comfortable with my integrity in dealing with them in an open and honest manner. I had a customer who after all my discourse purchased the one product that I told them would break down with little use (a product I sold at a loss just to get rid of because I discovered it's poor quality upon examination; never re-ordered that one!), only to have them return and say "you told me so", but thanking me in kind for letting them know in advance and trying to save them time and money in the long run; another longtime customer in the end! My theory is, "It takes years to build a good reputation; and minutes to destroy it!". As a small businessman you don't have the convenience of having customers throw your "name" about in a bad way; you won't be in business for long!

I have seen on another post by you stating that you made a change and I hope you're as happy with that decision as you originally were with your initial purchase. I hope you continue to improve on your health, and enjoy cycling for what ever your intentions.

Take care.

Last edited by HPL; 08-24-19 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 10:38 PM
rubynewbie

I brought home the new ride today and I LOVE it! It is SO much much more comfortable than the Roubaix was for me at least. It was a much smoother ride, I couldn't feel literally every pebble and ripple in the road. I was also more comfortable with the flat bars. And the weight seems identical to me, it's 1 pound difference. Honestly at my current 200 pounds one pound one way or the other on a bike would never be noticed. The seat was much more comfortable as well, although a good part of that could also be that I purchased bike pants with padding. So I am very happy. I saved $1400 and this bike is much more my style, as uncool as it may be compared to the Roubaix.
Likes For rubynewbie:
Old 08-28-19, 08:39 AM
kocour

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sequoia, 1980 Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Handsome Devil (from Minneapolis bike builder)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Nice bike. I like the color. The most important thing given your goals is that you enjoy the handling and ride quality. That will encourage you to ride it more. With the savings, buy accessories and clothing to make riding even more enjoyable. You might also see if there is a bike club in your community that organizes group rides.
Old 08-28-19, 01:06 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
No, you didn't overbuy. A nice bike will prove to be both a pleasure to ride (making it more likely that you will ride) and an incentive to ride more.

Congrats on the weight loss, keep it up, and enjoy the new bike!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 09-02-19, 09:18 AM
strossos

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you ended up with the right bike. Looks awesome. I hope you keep on enjoying the new bike!!
Old 04-24-20, 05:34 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
It could be the angle of the photo...but it looks like your saddle might be adjusted nose down just a bit. You don't want to ever feel as if you are constantly falling forward or feel as if you have extra weight on your hands from constantly pushing yourself up or back. Don't be afraid to have the bike shop help you with fine turning. Particularly as you get more flexible in your riding position. Have fun, wear your helmet and sneeze into your elbow!
Old 04-25-20, 01:48 AM
rubynewbie

Originally Posted by smoore
It could be the angle of the photo...but it looks like your saddle might be adjusted nose down just a bit. You don't want to ever feel as if you are constantly falling forward or feel as if you have extra weight on your hands from constantly pushing yourself up or back. Don't be afraid to have the bike shop help you with fine turning. Particularly as you get more flexible in your riding position. Have fun, wear your helmet and sneeze into your elbow!
Thank you for the advice! Update though, I originally bought a Roubaix for $2400, then returned it because the husband had a meltdown over it. So I bought a Cannondale Quick 1 instead at $1000. I did have a professional bike fitting for that one. That kept the peace and still made me happy. Turns out biking is quite addictive, who knew? LOL So yesterday I already upgraded to a Trek Domane SL 6 Disc Womens. At the insistence of my husband I might add who is amazed and so proud of my biking achievements.
Likes For rubynewbie:
Old 04-25-20, 02:18 AM
Alsobay

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
Thank you for the advice! Update though, I originally bought a Roubaix for $2400, then returned it because the husband had a meltdown over it. So I bought a Cannondale Quick 1 instead at $1000. I did have a professional bike fitting for that one. That kept the peace and still made me happy. Turns out biking is quite addictive, who knew? LOL So yesterday I already upgraded to a Trek Domane SL 6 Disc Womens. At the insistence of my husband I might add who is amazed and so proud of my biking achievements.
Always nice to hear of a great compromise. Happy for you. Keep pedaling safely.
Old 04-25-20, 08:55 AM
mtb cheaha

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and assistance here. The more you ride the better the value becomes. Enjoy your rides.
Old 04-26-20, 12:10 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
So this is your third bike in a short amount of time? Ha! Glad you're enjoying it and your husband is supportive. Whatever you do...don't watch any Youtube videos about cycling. Just don't!