Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Multi-day rides in CA and east

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Multi-day rides in CA and east

Old 06-12-20, 08:25 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Multi-day rides in CA

Looking for multi-day, supported rides in CA this summer. Can be along the coast or east of the Sierras into Nevada. I'm thinking 3-5 days, 60-100 miles/day. Road only.

Anything in operation?
Old 06-13-20, 03:24 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
this is probably the wrong year to ask your question given everything going on in the last three months here in the us. it's likely going to be all self-supported.

if you're feeling the need to escape (and i get it), going oregon/california coastal will be better than inland. you'll have better/more frequent support
and the coastal temps will be less severe vs inland in the next few months. fly to portland, ride to astoria and then down to san francisco and fly back home.

could fly to reno and hit lake tahoe/death ride area, then drop down to sacramento and fly back.

or fly to san francisco and ride to san luis obispo (slo) and train it home. or blow off the train and just ride all the way home.

or train it up to slo and ride back home.

could do a bunch of west side sierra climbs but summer temps dictate early starts with really hot and longish finishes for most of the climbs. prob better in late sept-early nov.

or stay local in socal...ride from home to ach/hwy2 and stay in wrightwood one night. ride up to big bear lake area the next day. over onyx pass
then down to the basin and back home on the longest, hottest but easiest day on day three. have mulled over this exact option with a fellow forumite more than once lately.

if you feel like driving 8 hours north and slowly making your way back via car, you could hit bryce canyon np, zion np, north rim of the grand canyon, south rim of the grand canyon.
sunset crater national monument and the sedona area before heading home (and possibly red rock canyon and/or valley of fire state parks near las vegas-def morning rides-depending
on your sched/timing). you could easily stretch out the north rim grand canyon ride into a century/all day affair but the rest of the rides could be two a day (morning ride-drive-afternoon ride).

and if you're feeling like a climbfest, you could do a lot worse than hitting the 395 hwy/eastern sierra corridor and staying in bishop a few nights. hit 5-10 epic climbs like
horseshoe meadows, whitney portal, onion valley, rock creek, hwy 168 east to the white mtns and bristlecone pines, hwy 168 west to south lake, glacier rd, tioga pass, et al.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-13-20 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 01:03 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Yep, I’m almost halfways back to Sacramento now, and couldn’t help noticing how Reno keeps trying to show up on my map. 🤔😉 After all, I’ve never been to Reno or Lake Tahoe. 🙄😁
Old 06-13-20, 02:22 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Can you be more specific on what you consider "supported?"

Does this mean a commercial tour where someone drives a SAG wagon, carries all your gear, provides the food and a place to stay?

Does this mean solo with hotel stays? Campgrounds?

I have no idea on organized tours in this area. Hard to believe that they could get enough people to make them even feasible.

On very nice ride on the coast is to get up to Fort Bragg or Mendicino and ride down to San Francisco. This should take 3 days, though given your distance they will be "short" days for you. There are campgrounds and towns with motels at reasonable distances. You can take a couple buses from SFO/downtown SF to Santa Rosa, where you can get a bus up to Fort Bragg. Alternatively, you could ride up to Santa Rosa in a day, hope the bus (not sure about taking a bike on board). I wrote an article about this quick tour.

Note that while San Francisco is just now trying to slowly re-open places up, the counties north of San Francisco are are much closer to fully (socially distanced) open.
Old 06-13-20, 07:15 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Looking for multi-day, supported rides in CA this summer. Can be along the coast or east of the Sierras into Nevada. I'm thinking 3-5 days, 60-100 miles/day. Road only.

Anything in operation?
If I had 3-5 days I would skip the support aspect and use Mammoth Lakes as a base camp to take in several rides from there. If you like being at altitude with scenic vistas, and you enjoy climbing, this is a great destination. Besides the Mammoth Lakes Basin, Reds Meadows, Minaret Vista, Mammoth Scenic Hwy, June Lake Loop, Benton Crossing, Rock Creek Road to Mosquito Flats, and Tioga Pass into Yosemite are all within reach of Mammoth Lakes.
Old 06-13-20, 07:30 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
Can you be more specific on what you consider "supported?"

Does this mean a commercial tour where someone drives a SAG wagon, carries all your gear, provides the food and a place to stay?

Does this mean solo with hotel stays? Campgrounds?

I have no idea on organized tours in this area. Hard to believe that they could get enough people to make them even feasible.

On very nice ride on the coast is to get up to Fort Bragg or Mendicino and ride down to San Francisco. This should take 3 days, though given your distance they will be "short" days for you. There are campgrounds and towns with motels at reasonable distances. You can take a couple buses from SFO/downtown SF to Santa Rosa, where you can get a bus up to Fort Bragg. Alternatively, you could ride up to Santa Rosa in a day, hope the bus (not sure about taking a bike on board). I wrote an article about this quick tour.

Note that while San Francisco is just now trying to slowly re-open places up, the counties north of San Francisco are are much closer to fully (socially distanced) open.
I've never done multi-day rides before, but I would hope for a van to carry a change of clothes and to provide minimum services when needed.
Old 06-15-20, 01:00 AM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Man, the Lake Tahoe area is great! Several State Parks with hike and bike sites on the California side: Grover Hot Springs, DL Bliss, Donner Memorial, and many other camping options, too. Lots of paved bike paths if you're into that, too. Just be aware that bears can prowl the campgrounds, so use the provided bear boxes and keep a clean camp.