Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to drink while cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to drink while cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 06:08 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Like this.
Old 06-17-20, 06:10 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I can remove the water bottle and drink while riding with one hand on the top bar of drop handlebars, but what I can't do is open the valve with one hand. So I generally stop to drink. Do you all leave the valve open during your rides? I don't do that because I always thought water could splash out, dust and grime could get in, and I'd get a bit of grit in with my water. Maybe I should try leaving valve open if it's not problematic...
Ummm. I pull the valve open with my teeth.

Alternatively, I have Camelbak bottles (and a couple of other, similar brands) that have spray nozzles, so you squirt the water into your mouth. Those work fine, they're nice bottles.

To the OP, as others have said, practice riding with 1 hand. Ride with 1 hand, then switch and ride with the other. Start off with your off-hand close to the bars. Then as you get comfortable, start taking the off-hand further away from the bars. Then start doing tasks; reach for something in a pocket, adjust your sunglasses, zip up your jersey. Eventually you'll get comfortable with it and it'll be quite easy to reach down, grab a bottle, take a swig and put it back.
Old 06-17-20, 06:14 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Just practice it, it's not difficult. In no time you'll be doing the Rapha flip!
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 06-17-20, 06:46 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It's a good discussion. My wife is a strong and experienced road rider. But she does not drink while moving. She believes that it's an unnecessary risk. I've never understood this, but I keep my trap shut and ask her if she'd like to stop and drink periodically.

The OP received good advice, which is to practice. Practice reaching down and placing his hand on the bottle. Practice reaching down and grasping the bottle. Practice reaching down, grasping, removing and replacing the bottle. Then add lifting the bottle to drink before replacing. Like all simple physical skills, this one has elements of core control, head control, eye control and general balance throughout. It's not too tough one mastered.
Do they ever take you up on the offer to stop so she can drink?
Old 06-17-20, 07:57 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Do they ever take you up on the offer to stop so she can drink?
It's not a "they", but rather a "we". I try to defer to her needs. We ride in groups only a handful of times annually. So, at traffic lights or other natural stops...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-17-20, 08:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
It's not a "they", but rather a "we". I try to defer to her needs. We ride in groups only a handful of times annually. So, at traffic lights or other natural stops...
Thoughtful of you to do so when there should be some mutual understanding that the main purpose is to keep a continuous flow in order to stay with the majority being together during a ride.
Old 06-18-20, 05:14 AM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Last night I tested riding with one hand with my flat bar BSO. I'll see how it goes.

Alternative water carrying solutions like bar mounted cage is also interesting.

Regarding riding with a group. Well, I know even less than cycling. I am not even sure whether anyone is aware of my existence. They don't arrange pace lines so at least I don't worry about somebody crashing into my back. I suppose I can always ride solo...
Old 06-18-20, 05:36 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
OP is not stable on the bike. Cannot easily ride with just one hand on bars. He can practice all day long, if the bike is unstable he is just taking risks and pushing his luck.

Most of us can ride no hands. People with tics and tremors and major disabilities can ride no hands. Bicycles are stable. Bicycles are massively stable.

I got got my first water bottle in 1965. As a kid I was a klutz. In many ways still am. For example I am still never going to risk taking off or putting on a jacket while riding. There were no forums in 1965. There was no issue at all with the water bottle. Grab it and drink.

Never even heard of anyone having a problem with taking a drink until the late 80s, right about when triathlon and TT became popular. And now 3/4 of enthusiasts are riding in TT position. Yes, there is a problem.

The only way I know of to get current riders to ever contemplate doing things even slightly differently is to get them on a dropper post. So OP should install a dropper post. They drop for a reason. Makes the bike more stable when dropped. No one will ever try that. The OP could even lower the saddle just to take a drink. Going through all that trouble just to get a drink would make a lot more sense than falling on his head.

To get stable on a bike saddle down and saddle back. Nothing controversial about that. Will anyone do that? No, they will cling to fashion and fall on their heads.
Old 06-22-20, 11:14 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I think if your hand that's on the bars is close to the stem you will not twitch/move the front wheel so easily. Practice that in a parking lot and see if that works better for you. It's actually the function of a first class lever.
I agree: always have one hand on the top of the bars for stability before reaching for the bottle. As the man says, it’s all about levers😊
Old 06-22-20, 11:22 AM
Jay T.

Bikes: Klein road bike from the 1980's, Sekai 2400 from 1980

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
When I try to get my riding partners to do this for me, they always miss my mouth, and hit me between the eyes!
Find a different group to ride with. Alternatively, practice your retaliatory aiming.
Old 06-22-20, 12:47 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Just do it in steps.

Find a wide straight section and first try and ride with one hand. Slight but straight down grade does make it easier to start because there is less peddling effort.

Then when you feel confident, reach down and touch the bottle and keep peddling.

Then lift it out and put it back, while peddling.

Then reach down, take a drink and put the bottle back.

There are cages that make easier to pull the bottle out sideways.

And if you can’t get there you can mount a cage on the handlebars and use a camelback.

But even if you get good at it, everyone still has to plan a good spot to take a drink.

Years ago when everyone rode with diwntube shifters, riding with one hand was second nature.

John
A great simple description of the first step to try.

It's a good discussion. My wife is a strong and experienced road rider. But she does not drink while moving. She believes that it's an unnecessary risk. I've never understood this, but I keep my trap shut and ask her if she'd like to stop and drink periodically.

The OP received good advice, which is to practice. Practice reaching down and placing his hand on the bottle. Practice reaching down and grasping the bottle. Practice reaching down, grasping, removing and replacing the bottle. Then add lifting the bottle to drink before replacing. Like all simple physical skills, this one has elements of core control, head control, eye control and general balance throughout. It's not too tough once mastered.
That is my situation also and it WORKS! As our semi-annual small group vacation rides have a wide range of regulars with differing experience levels and bike types, the more casual aspect is popular.

Originally Posted by 63rickert
OP is not stable on the bike. Cannot easily ride with just one hand on bars. He can practice all day long, if the bike is unstable he is just taking risks and pushing his luck.

Most of us can ride no hands. People with tics and tremors and major disabilities can ride no hands. Bicycles are stable. Bicycles are massively stable.

I got got my first water bottle in 1965. As a kid I was a klutz. In many ways still am. For example I am still never going to risk taking off or putting on a jacket while riding. There were no forums in 1965. There was no issue at all with the water bottle. Grab it and drink.

Never even heard of anyone having a problem with taking a drink until the late 80s, right about when triathlon and TT became popular. And now 3/4 of enthusiasts are riding in TT position. Yes, there is a problem.

The only way I know of to get current riders to ever contemplate doing things even slightly differently is to get them on a dropper post. So OP should install a dropper post. They drop for a reason. Makes the bike more stable when dropped. No one will ever try that. The OP could even lower the saddle just to take a drink. Going through all that trouble just to get a drink would make a lot more sense than falling on his head.

To get stable on a bike saddle down and saddle back. Nothing controversial about that. Will anyone do that? No, they will cling to fashion and fall on their heads.
Not to pull a pin on a grenade, but I find those of us with DT shifter experience often tend to have an easier time. One of our riders could not get over my using DT shifters the first year, and also taking a bottle and drinking while riding, sometimes with no hands.

While not a dropper post user, I do find that on a compact frame it is more difficult than my "French fit" frame, which I suspect is also a frame geometry and trail issue, however the conept of bars and seat being close to the same height to be my ideal. Handlebar mounts are great, but I have yet to find one that by itself will reliably retain a bottle on rough road or sudden bumps, unless I experiment with the angle of the bottle cage when using a handlebar mount. That will eliminate a bump from launching a full bottle. Additionally fully loaded, the weight can affect handling enough to impact no-hands riding and drinking. I used to use a vintage in front of the stem TA handlebar mount to augment my DT mounts, now with a small handlebar bag, I just use the DT mount with a 24oz. bottle.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 06-22-20 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 12:52 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Practice, practice, practice...

1 start out on a quiet rode (or parking lot)
2 glance down with both hands on the bars and then look at the road
3 just touch the bottle and replace your hands with you eyes on the road. If you can do this without wobbling around the road, move to the next step.
4 Pull the bottle out. Stop or toss the bottle in the grass
5 glance down again then back at the road, put the bottle back. If it doesn’t slide right in, glance again. Never let go the bottle unless you’re 100% certain that it’s in the cage.
6 with both hands on the bars, glance down again to make sure the bottle is seated correctly
Old 06-22-20, 01:07 PM
strangdang

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
simple repetition

As mentioned by Bruce, you put one hand on the top of the bars right at the stem. Before other stuff was mounted on the stem, we used to put our hand right over the knob of the stem where the bar goes through (I raced for 34 years) Less leverage there to cause a wheel turn. Then while still looking ahead you pull the bottle out by feel, grip at the bottom and squeeze. Watch some pro races and look for the feed sections. It's not super important where you grip the bottle but not being in the drops and looking ahead is. If anything funny starts to happen you just toss the bottle aside.
Likes For strangdang:
Old 06-22-20, 01:30 PM
relrrt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
I am a total noob regarding controlling a bike. The water bottle is in the cage on the downtube. I just can't figure out how to control the bike with one hand, and use the free hand to pick up the bottle. Is there any training I can do? I have my saddle set way forward and ride in the drops (more like a TT bike).
Try chewing gum and walking first. Sit on the curb and cry, After you have mastered that advance to the next stage. Remember baby steps.
Old 06-22-20, 02:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The only thing I’ll add is that if it felt too easy to put the bottle back in the cage, it probably was. It doesn’t happen often, and is a bad thing in a group, but when you put the bottle back, don’t rush it. Make sure it is in the cage. Learn to hold it a second longer to make sure.

John
Old 06-22-20, 02:40 PM
Kirbentech

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, Schwinn Super Sport (circa 1981)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been in your shoes. I generally pull out the bottle while in a more-aero position, hold the bottle (lid) briefly in my teeth, then drink when on the tops of the bars. I don't ride in groups (I need to try that sometime...), but I don't like to move my focus from the road. I'm also extra careful when I'm riding in traffic, so sometimes the drink has to wait.
Old 06-22-20, 02:53 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I always leave my valves open, and never have any issue with anything getting in. The water bottles I use have fairly enclosed orifices and it would have to be quite the dust storm for anything to get in.

I have no trouble retrieving a water bottle and getting a drink while riding, but I still nearly always find myself coasting while actually drinking. Sometimes I make myself keep pedaling, but it doesn't come naturally. For whatever reason, pausing the pedaling while drinking is my instinct, though that wouldn't go over too well in a group ride if we were pacelining.

To the OP: it will help a lot if you can get used to grabbing your bottle and putting it back without looking at it. I just reach down and by muscle memory I can grab it. Sometimes I'll take a quick glance down to orient myself before putting it back after drinking, but still put it back while not watching it, since I prefer to keep my eyes on the road. One little problem with my approach is I find it much easier to retrieve and use my front water bottle than my rear bottle (the one mounted to the seat tube), so usually when the first bottle is empty I'll go through this awkward exchange where I swap the two bottles so I'm always drinking from the one mounted to the downtube. I'd second what the others have said and just practice on your own retrieving and putting your bottle back while riding, pausing pedaling while doing so if you need to. Once you've got that down if your valves are left open you can just squirt some water in your mouth. I usually have an inch or so of water left in my bottles when they're "empty" according to my usual practice, because I prefer to squirt water into my mouth rather than suck water through the valve, because I don't have to tilt my head to sky to do it. If I still need water and both bottles are down to that last inch I'll tilt my head and drain it.
Same here, awkward exchange and everything. 😂

​​​​​
Likes For Ross520:
Old 06-22-20, 04:14 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Why is your seat pushed so far forward? It sure sounds like the bike doesn't fit you and you'll never be very stable on it.
Old 06-22-20, 04:50 PM
southpier13

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Practice will get you there but there is an alternative to downtube/seat tube mounted water bottle holders. Touring cyclists often used "feedbags" that are mounted on the inside of the handlebars to one side of the top tube. Here is an example from REI of Revelate Designs ... .
wonder if they make a "leftie" version. my bell is on the right and i don't want to impede my "dings".
Old 06-22-20, 05:24 PM
SpamnRice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learning to ride on rollers might help. For myself, riding on rollers is a practice of steering with the hips only. When steering the bike with your hips only, you can do just about anything with you upper body without swerving. It almost removes your upper body movements out of the equation. There's a Sufferfest video of someone on rollers making scrambled eggs that illustrates my point.
Old 06-22-20, 06:50 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I have never had a problem reaching down and grabbing the bottle while controlling the bike with one hand, even drinking while riding with no hands. Nowadays I prefer to stop and take in a bit of hydration while sitting still, I believe it is much safer. I do not do group rides.
Old 06-23-20, 08:17 AM
danlewis8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattthehat
too proud? What a weird thing to say. Maybe he simply doesn’t want to inconvenience the group.
+1
Old 06-23-20, 10:58 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Same here, awkward exchange and everything. 😂

​​​​​
I generally ride with water, but more recently I’ve taken some electrolytes in a 2nd bottle. Water on downtube, nuun on seat tube. It’s been weird actually drinking from the seat tube bottle instead of just swapping it out.

I used to give my wife a hard time about only drinking when stopped, but then we got a cargo bike for hauling the kids around after they outgrew their trailer. Reaching from a very upright position, all the way down to the downtube, with the weight of 2 wriggling 5 year olds behind, is probably what I imagine a new cyclist feels when trying to reach a bottle on a road bike.
Old 07-02-20, 12:37 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
I am a total noob regarding controlling a bike. The water bottle is in the cage on the downtube. I just can't figure out how to control the bike with one hand, and use the free hand to pick up the bottle. Is there any training I can do? I have my saddle set way forward and ride in the drops (more like a TT bike).
how to cycle while drinking?