Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot head tube abused in fork replacement

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-28-20, 10:18 PM
embersgrow44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can’t post pictures as I haven’t met the 10
post threshold but hope can start the conversation to get rolling to do so... Found pristine paint job teal Peugeot Versailles think ‘85 or ‘87. Unfortunately must have taken a collision as R blade bent needed fork replaced. Headset was beautiful didn’t need any other work except rear wheel and fresh cables. After two weeks wait get call from owner that mechanic (now fired) has mushroomed the head tube - first excuse (story changes few times in person) was to blame “soft French steel”. Other mechanic was aghast when he arrived and questioned why cups were even removed let alone headset fooled with at all - maybe they were sharing the project? Like I said hard to get straight shot out of this guy - have learned owner is bit of a bull****ter. Remaining mechanic feels confident he can save this vintage gem but am sickened by unnecessary damage and shady explanation. Grateful to any and all for input. Questions, ideas, solutions welcome.
Old 06-28-20, 11:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Going to guess cup removal was to facilitate the installation of a new fork, the old fork is probably a french thread which is subtly different from english which is the only thing available today. A good shop should be able to face the headtube and shave off a couple mm to get down to where the headtube isn't mushroomed and deeper insert headsets are available. Although this process will slightly shorten the headtube it won't be significant and the end result should be a clean looking install with no discernible damage and a perfectly fine bike. Hopefully no one else is incompetent and they can properly finish the job.
Old 06-29-20, 04:26 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
To help with possible repairs, I would need to see good quality pictures. To get at those, you need to have ten posts spread over two days. Then you can post pictures.

To help with the service issue, the matter must be discussed with the shop owner. If he or she is willing to make it right, then you worries are over. If not, and were it me, I would file a small court claim against the shop and owner. Not sure how this works in your area.

But, to make the court thing work, you must be able to prove your side of the issue to a judge. I think.

Thanks goodness, in today's world of bike mechanics who know little more that toss and replace, I am sooooo glad that I can do my own work.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but it is the path I would tread to get the situation fixed.
Old 06-29-20, 08:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
This would never have happened if the mechanic was using the proper tools. There is just enough meat left that it should be salvageable. However, it's going to take cutting off the damaged top and bottom, facing the cuts and then reaming the tubes for the cups. If the shop didn't have the proper tools to remove the headset, I doubt they have those to perform the job.

Regardless, it will change the geometry of the bicycle, lowering the front end and steeping the head tube and seat tube angles. Many cyclists may not notice the difference. Others would notice it but be able to adapt. Still others would find it intolerable. It's impossible to predict which category you'll fit into. The frame is only HLE tubing, so given the labour involved and your unknown tolerance for the geometry change, it may be prudent to source a comparable frame or even bicycle but only after the shop agrees (in writing) to reimburse you.

Selective photo assist...

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-29-20, 09:01 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Can’t help with the repair side of things, but what T-Mar mentioned about the frame is important, although I know not the main point. Unless the frame has any kind of sentimental value to you, it is otherwise a more or less low end Peugeot frame, one of which would be pretty easy to replace with one in like condition with a little searching. Make sure the shop offers to reimburse you, and find yourself a new one. Maybe you even luck out and find a nicer frame set for what you paid for this one. Based on the above assessment it does not appear to be worth going through with the noted repair process for this frame, especially when you’ll know it’s altered the frames geometry. Is cut my losses and get excited about finding a new frame. At least you’ll have one with an original form. Again, assuming there is no sentiment here. A huge bummer either way.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 06-29-20, 09:27 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
They need to replace your frame.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-29-20, 10:15 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
Hopefully the bike shop is in a good position to source a good frame or bike replacement at a cost that they can deal with.
Most shops get such buy opportunities regularly, often for next to nothing.

That is soft steel and Peugeot did pretty light gauge construction with such materials. Stuff like this happens and headset press damage is not that uncommon.
Chalk it up to a perhaps young mechanic's learning curve, as bike shops can't afford to hire seasoned professionals to work on relatively low-value bikes in most cases.

It is simply a fact that us older mechanics didn't learn all of our skills the easy way or by not doing things improperly. And hiring skilled workers to work for bike-shop wages is quite difficult in some areas.
This shop's owner was perhaps smart not to have the worker doing such work on an expensive bike.
I would try to give the shop owner a bit of time to figure out best options for resolution. Perhaps also the removal of just a tiny amount of metal might allow the cups to sit straight so the bearings turn smoothly.

Last edited by dddd; 06-29-20 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-05-20, 06:42 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
embersgrow44 any update on what the shop is doing? I’d be curious to know.