Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Replacement Fork

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Replacement Fork

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 07:05 PM
Rexhardy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacement Fork

What would be recommended to replace an entry level fork? This is for a 2009 Trek WSD 820. Currently has a Suntour M2025 with 63mm travel and is threadless. Wouldn’t mind a rebuild kit but can’t find any. Of course everything is out of stock right now but putting together a parts list for when available. I can find forks with longer travel but don’t want to mess up the geometry. Also I don’t need or want to spend a bunch because it will be lightly used.

I have considered a rigid fork but she wants to stay with suspension. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-20, 11:34 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I don't love them, but if it's just a little squish for comfort rather than serious trail riding Suntour XCT/XCM/whatever in 80mm would be a reasonable choice. 820 is pretty far down the line, not sure if I'd advise anything higher end than that.
Old 07-23-20, 11:49 AM
Rexhardy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
I don't love them, but if it's just a little squish for comfort rather than serious trail riding Suntour XCT/XCM/whatever in 80mm would be a reasonable choice. 820 is pretty far down the line, not sure if I'd advise anything higher end than that.
I will check into that. I may also just open it up and see if a good cleaning and lube will suffice. It's not frozen or anything. The biggest reason for considering a new fork is that I am going to have the frame powder coated and the current fork will either need that or replaced. Someone in their infinite wisdom decided it would be good to paint the bike black. And to top that off did a terrible job.

I know that bike has no inherent value but I can get the powder coating done and still have less than half into what a new bike would cost. Plus there is some satisfaction in keeping it going and out of the junk pile.
Old 07-24-20, 03:22 PM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexhardy1
..I am going to have the frame powder coated and the current fork will either need that or replaced.
Is this a city bike, or do you plan on taking it on mtb trails?

I would put a rigid fork on it before I spent money on a cheap suspension fork.

Cheaper, lighter, simpler, better.
Old 07-24-20, 08:09 PM
Rexhardy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooderson
Is this a city bike, or do you plan on taking it on mtb trails?

I would put a rigid fork on it before I spent money on a cheap suspension fork.

Cheaper, lighter, simpler, better.
That may be an option as well. I did that on my Trek and your correct on all accounts.
Old 07-27-20, 07:45 PM
paulmalva

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you do want to go for suspension, I can recommend the Manitou Mattoc Comp.
This fork came standard on my Mongoose mtb and has been an absolute beast.

Even after 3 years of drops, big jumps, and rock gardens, it works great and is still on it's first set of seals.