Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Discouraged with the used bike options out there, might have to go new....

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Discouraged with the used bike options out there, might have to go new....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 08:16 AM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why not get a Leader mid 725 with carbon Leader fork, omnium crank and a good wheelset (formula hubs, novatec wheels..)? it might go a bit above 1000...

from scrod's shop, you can change components, this is just to see if 1000ish price point can be met:
2011 Leader 725 'Mid' frame $359.00
Leader I05TR carbon/aluminum fork $179.00
SRAM Omnium crankset w/ GXP BB (black) $180.00
Alex G6000/Novatec track wheelset $150.00
cro-mo track cog $16.00
'4X' clips/straps combo $35.00
MKS Sylvan Track pedals $24.00

Total of $943 without saddle, seatpost, stem and handlebar and that with top components, definetly doable with time to hunt down bargains (leader frames from coghouse on ebay, a lesser crankset like andels)....

Last edited by 8bits; 07-20-11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 08:28 AM
homebrewk
yoked

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^This. And if you wanted to go cheaper but not skimp on the components you could buy the 2011 725 on sale for $275.
Old 07-20-11, 08:48 AM
stillanimal
Swollen Member

Bikes: Scrambler, Pake, Sirrus, Aerosprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this is fer you:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Felt-tk3-track-f...#ht_578wt_1107
Old 07-20-11, 09:27 AM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stillanimal
Unfortunately too big. I'm 5'6. The biggest I could do is a 53.
Old 07-20-11, 11:21 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you want to be sub 17 but you want to buy all your components in a group? Your intentions are a bit hard to follow
Old 07-20-11, 11:44 AM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went to another local bike shop today. The owner tried to talk me out of a track frame whether it was the trek T1 or Felt TK3 (both of which he could get me) saying the geometry was too aggressive and twitchy and I would probably kill myself on a pothole. How do you guys ride these bikes on the road if they are so scarey?
Old 07-20-11, 11:46 AM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh
you want to be sub 17 but you want to buy all your components in a group? Your intentions are a bit hard to follow
So your saying a online store couldn't put together a series of components that are lightweight? Bikesdirect seems to do it with the Dura Ace components on the Motobecane team track bike...
Old 07-20-11, 12:02 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I like camomile tea.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-20-11, 12:05 PM
8bits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csj0952
So I went to another local bike shop today. The owner tried to talk me out of a track frame whether it was the trek T1 or Felt TK3 (both of which he could get me) saying the geometry was too aggressive and twitchy and I would probably kill myself on a pothole. How do you guys ride these bikes on the road if they are so scarey?
lol! I commute everyday with my fixed bike (I do run a good front brake tho - Shimano 105) on ****ty roads (São Paulo/Brazil) and I feel as safe as on the other bikes I own.

It's a matter of always look where you are and where you're going, not doing dumb moves, avoiding high traffic streets as much as possible and not trying to go head to head with moronic drivers, let them go through and feel the king of the street.

These "tips" apply to the driver not the kind of bike you have

Last edited by 8bits; 07-20-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 12:07 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
eh I go head to head with moronic drivers and ride on high traffic roads, my frame being track geometry changes nothing about that ride for me just as dangerous on an adult tricycle.
Old 07-20-11, 12:16 PM
8bits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamfoh
eh I go head to head with moronic drivers and ride on high traffic roads, my frame being track geometry changes nothing about that ride for me just as dangerous on an adult tricycle.
yes, that was my point, it's not about the bicycle....
Old 07-20-11, 12:22 PM
misskaz
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my Fuji Classic Track *is* twitchy. A friend of mine literally fell off it trying to ride it for the first time, because she was used to a giant tank of a mixte with an integrated front rack and stuff. It's a very different ride from my solid station wagon commuter bike (a Bianchi Volpe). That said, it's not dangerously twitchy, I just feel it wobble when I stand up to pedal from a stoplight or whatever. If you know how to ride a bike, you figure out how to adjust to it. Hitting potholes on any bike is no fun, which is why you pay attention and try not to.
Old 07-20-11, 12:29 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So your saying a online store couldn't put together a series of components that are lightweight? Bikesdirect seems to do it with the Dura Ace components on the Motobecane team track bike...
Have you actually tried piecing together any of the frames you mentioned with nice parts to see what the cost would be? Unless you're very patient, knowledgeable, and have a lot of time to waste on eBay/CL/forum classifieds, you're going to blow your budget if you put nice decent parts on any of the frames you are looking at.

I don't know the prices for everything, but if you're looking at a $500 frameset, you only have $500 more to spend on everything else. Omniums, for example, will cost you ~$190, decent wheels will cost you $200, and you still have to find a stem/saddle/pedals/chain/cog/lockring/seatpost/bars all within the remaining $110 of your budget. The Motobecane Team Track is without a doubt an awesome deal, but good luck finding one to buy.

That's not to say it isn't possible to build a really nice bike on one of the frames you're looking at for $1000. It'll be hard.
Old 07-20-11, 12:38 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When he says that your intentions are hard to follow he means that some of the things you are saying seem contradictory. You say that weight is really important to you but you are willing to just buy everything together.

For most people, if weight is really critical to them they have some performance objective, like they want to do well on the time trial up L'Alpe D'Huez or whatnot. These people care deeply about every little thing that goes on their bike. They literally buy their individual screws separately. Some of these people ride fixed gear because they don't want the weight of a derailleur or a rear brake. You clearly aren't in that category.

It would help people give you better advice if they knew why weight is an issue for you and what kind of riding you do. Do you own a bike now? Do you own a fixed gear or single speed right now? What is your experience with your current bike that is making you look at the kinds of bikes you are looking at? What kind of distance do you ride on this? How fast do you ride? Are you trying to race competitively? What kinds of events?

It may be that you think that putting together a super light bike is a worthwhile hobby in and of itself. Are you interested in track bikes for their aesthetic appeal? Do you intend to ride this bike as a means of transportation? Will you want to lock it up outside?

There are good reasons for wanting a super light track bike but you should be sure that those reasons apply to you otherwise it will be an expensive coat rack. The bike shop mechanic was looking out for you when he advised a different bike. Almost nobody here rides on a aluminum track bike on the street. And absolutely nobody here rides one that is under 15 lbs.

Aggressive track geometry can be fun to ride on the street in short bursts but not for long trips. If that is what you want then the most sensible thing is to do what they tell everyone on this site and get a Mercier Kilo TT. That way you'll have at least $600 left over from your budget to what you really want. Maybe you don't want a track frame after all. Maybe what you want is a super light road frame set up as a fixed gear so you can do that time trial up L'Alpe D'Huez.

I'm not any expert on fixies/singlespeeds. I've had the same converted road bike for the last ten years and it was only because a spoke failed that I'm back in this mode of shopping etc. But what I can tell you is that I would much rather be riding my bike than shopping for it.

Last edited by prooftheory; 07-20-11 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Alpe-d'Huez Alpe-d'Huez Alpe-d'Huez Alpe-d'Huez
Old 07-20-11, 01:07 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Alpe-d'Huez
Alpe-d'Huez
Alpe-d'Huez
Alpe-d'Huez
Alpe-d'Huez
Alpe-d'Huez

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-20-11, 01:15 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
It would help people give you better advice if they knew why weight is an issue for you and what kind of riding you do. Do you own a bike now? Do you own a fixed gear or single speed right now? What is your experience with your current bike that is making you look at the kinds of bikes you are looking at? What kind of distance do you ride on this? How fast do you ride? Are you trying to race competitively? What kinds of events?
I own a BMC Streetfire now. I am looking for single speed/fixed floating bike to experiment and bomb around the city in. I want something that's light because I have a few hills in my city that would be difficult in a single speed gear. I could change the gearing but I don't want to down gear too much.

I like to ride fast in the city, upwards of 18mph average (stopping for lights of course). I will not race it. There is no veleodrome in my area.

Track bikes do have some asthetic appeal to me. The cannondale Capo and Trek T1 look the best to me. The Kilo TT/Wabi look doesn't appeal as much to me. I know, I'm not right in the head apparently.

I will use this bike for transportation and locking it up outside. However, I have a good kryptonite messenger lock that I doubt anyone will break in Rochester, NY (I would be more nervous in NYC).

I will probably ride the bike for no more than 20 miles at a time or over the course of an hour.

You guys are helping me realize that my requirements are unrealistic. I apprechiate the help. I know it's hard to keep the comments from being brash and abusive when dealing with a newb like myself so I apprechiate the effort.

How is the specialized langster? I have a specialized dealer I could check out. The Geo looks less trackish...
Old 07-20-11, 01:23 PM
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you want a fixed gear or a single speed?
Old 07-20-11, 01:27 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is the specialized langster? I have a specialized dealer I could check out. The Geo looks less trackish...
S-Works Langster or bust.
Old 07-20-11, 01:34 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayce
Do you want a fixed gear or a single speed?
I want a floater hub or a hub that I can turn into either singlespeed or fixed. I also require at least 1 brake. 2 preferred but not required. I also require drop bars.
Old 07-20-11, 01:34 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by yummygooey
But dood, sloping top tube, not cool.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 07-20-11, 01:35 PM
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yummygooey
Yummygooey, how come everyone rips on the Specialized Langster regular Aluminum? Bad components or bad frame? If so why? it gets good reviews on roadbikereview
Old 07-20-11, 01:38 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
But dood, sloping top tube, not cool.
Oh yea. Chop it off and JB Weld it sloping in the other direction = cred.

Yummygooey, how come everyone rips on the Specialized Langster regular Aluminum? Bad components or bad frame? If so why? it gets good reviews on roadbikereview
I don't know, I just think the normal Langster looks dumb and the S-Works Langster looks awesome. I've never ridden one.
csj0952

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That leader frame actually looks kinda cool, I'm not sure how much the bike would be though once put together with components I'd have to throw together. The trek seems like a better deal for 15 bucks more too...
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is a floater hub a term you made up? What does it mean? Have you ridden any fixed ger frames, which ones, what did you like and not like about them?
Old 07-20-11, 01:42 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayce
Is a floater hub a term you made up? What does it mean? Have you ridden any fixed ger frames, which ones, what did you like and not like about them?
If he is not talking about a flip flop hub; I think his thinking of a hub like that of the sram torpedo... or that chinese? innovated one that is oriented toward FSFG and doesn't require a tool, instead using a click and lock mechanism to go from SS to FG.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.