Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

trying to most compactly fold this old dahon

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 11:12 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

i picked up this older dahon this morning. fixed a flat and figured out a few of the adjustments that make it feel less, "loose" i guess, don't know if there's some folder lingo for it.

but i'm trying to figure out how to fold it down in it's most compact way. looked at a few you tube vids, but there was just enough difference in the ones i found to not quite get it. the closest one i found didn't have the handlebars fold down also so i'm still kind of fumbling with them. they almost seem even more in the way if i fold them down.

anyone familiar enough with this model to know? thanks.
Old 04-25-13, 11:27 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you need onr of these to make it compact..

Old 04-25-13, 05:26 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Dahon Classic III, I have two of them. Shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you a pdf copy of the owner's manual. To get the handlebar to fold all the way down you have to lower the top part of the mast first.

What type of hub is on yours? If it is a Sturmey-Archer there will be a date code on it.

Here are pictures of my two. I have one red one and one blue, both are 1984 models but they aren't identical. ThorUSA has fenders that will fit them.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 04-25-13 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Update add photos
Old 04-26-13, 07:28 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
got it. thanks. actually the above pic was enough to help me figure it out. i wasn't folding the handlebar section early enough in the process. i'll keep the pdf for future reference. thanks again.
Old 04-26-13, 08:12 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a bike like this. I think the seatpost was slightly bent becouse folding it was a pain. That plus I newer found a good routine for folding it so I gave up and gave it away.

Here is a list to a Taiwan group with lots of great old Dahons. This may inspire you to keep your bike. I can not remember who posted this link first but it was not me.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/num...7606937764955/
Old 04-26-13, 11:57 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
I had a bike like this. I think the seatpost was slightly bent becouse folding it was a pain. That plus I newer found a good routine for folding it so I gave up and gave it away.

Here is a list to a Taiwan group with lots of great old Dahons. This may inspire you to keep your bike. I can not remember who posted this link first but it was not me.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/num...7606937764955/
WOW!
Thanks for that, first time I have seen it. There were some amazing bikes in there. I bought my two from a thrift store for $100 for the pair. The red one has the S-A AW hub the blue one a Sachs 3 speed. I use the red one a fair bit, haven't done anything with the blue one yet.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon