Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Increase from 25mm to 28mm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 12:19 PM
altondavis2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

I have a Giant Defy 5 and want to get a set of Gatorskins.
The 28mm tires require less psi and I'm sure they would ride more comfortable.
Can any of you guys supply any pros/cons regarding this move ??
My main concern is reliability, are the Gatorskins the best move ???
Old 11-21-14, 12:41 PM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
disclaimer: not a bike mechanic here

Going from 25mm to 28mm will make the ride more comfortable if you're using the appropriate air pressure. Some say one size or the other will be faster, but it'd be hard to notice a difference making such a small change.

If you really want the ride to be more comfortable and your frame would fit it, consider 700x32 tires for a more dramatic comfort increase.

As for Gatorskins, I've never ridden them, but I know they are meant for flat protection. Because of that I'd guess they might be a little slower and heavier than a less puncture-protected option. Keep that trade off in mind when you decide on what you want.

A good idea is to search Google for "(your tire name) site:bikeforums.net" to get opinions from old bikeforums threads.

I like Vitorria Rubino Pros. Similar price tag

Last edited by Pukeskywalker; 11-21-14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 01:05 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Check to make sure they will fit the frame and fork. One of my road bikes will not accept a 25, much less a 28. Gatorskins are good tires but they are heavy and will make you work harder.
Old 11-21-14, 01:28 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
IME, going from a 25mm to a 28mm tire may provide a more comfortable ride. it's much more likely if the make and models of tire are the same and less PSI is used. but has less potential for improvement.
Old 11-21-14, 01:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
=3mm more
Old 11-21-14, 02:05 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
If ride comfort is a top priority, forget Gatorskins.

Consider the Continent 4 season or the Vittoria Rubino Pro. Both of these are sold in 700x28 and 700x25 size. Both of these tires provide serious flat protection and are durable.

https://www.probikekit.com/tyres-whee...ZDpmYWxzZSE%3D
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-21-14 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 02:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,428 Posts
The first thing to confirm is tire clearance, side to side between the chainstays, and radially under the brakes, especially the front brake.

Then the wider tires may be more comfortable, but don't expect miracles. I use the product of width X pressure as a guide for comparability, and at an equal WxP value the tires won't ride that much differently.

If comfort is your key concern, consider tires known for having supple sidewalls, which (based on 3rd hand info) Gatorskins don't seem to be one.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-21-14, 04:26 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
=3mm more
Not always. Many 25mm tires are true-to-size while the same tire in a 700x28 size in undersized by 1mm plus.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-21-14, 04:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hamster Wheel
Old 11-21-14, 06:10 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Hamster Wheel
I wouldn't recommend those;the plastic will not have much grip,they will wear down quickly,and they will seriously reduce the bike's gearing and prolly cause pedal strike.

My Defy's a different model,but I'm running 28's. Not a huge difference in the stock tires,but I also swapped them because the stock Kendas didn't have puncture protection or reflective sidewalls. As FBinNY said,the tire's design/construction is as important as its width. I've ridden 23's that were pretty good,but didn't trust them with all the crap we have on our roads.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-22-14, 02:53 PM
sickz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depends on the tire. understand an increase in width also increases height to a degree. on 28s your bike will sit higher than 25s.
Old 11-22-14, 03:21 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by altondavis2

If puncture and slice prevention is your top priority, the our wonderful Continental 4000's, Vittoria Rubino, and Michelin Pro 4 Service Course are not your best choice. Just throwing that out there before we go too far left field.

In between Gatorskins and the above, there are quite a few nice riding tires most of us will be happy to argue over, just to help you out. :-) (Hamster Wheels notwithstanding)
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 11-23-14, 03:31 AM
sickz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
avoidance is your best defense against punctures. so when your friends have confidence in their tires riding thru random debree and bits, have the discipline not to.

out of all the tires i've ridden (name it, i've rode it)..... vitorria corsas evos thee most puncture resistant in the real world. ridden em to the threads.... on numerous occasions. they've never given me a flat. gatorskins are overrated imo.
Old 11-23-14, 08:03 AM
ClarkinHawaii

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
23mm Gator Hardshell with wire bead--padded shorts are a must but no worries about flats.
Old 11-23-14, 08:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like using 28 mm tires on my road bikes. Run it at a little lower pressure than a 25mm and the ride is a little more comfy. You also get a wheel which is a bit better for riding rough stuff if you like doing that (I do). Gatorskins, in my experience, are pretty tough tires and handle nicely.

There may be issues as others have pointed out mounting a 28 mm on a road bike. You should be OK but make sure you can return the tires if you have to.
Old 11-24-14, 03:39 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I have been riding 700x28 Serfas Seca tires for a couple years and love them. The only bike I have with tight tolerance is a 2004 LeMond Buenos Aires. Here is the rear tire clearance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SERFAS.jpg (43.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-25-14, 06:34 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
My touring bike came with 32's; i switched to 25's and didn't see any speed improvement or comfort, so prolly go back to 28 or 32.
Old 11-26-14, 11:46 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
My touring bike came with 32's; i switched to 25's and didn't see any speed improvement or comfort, so prolly go back to 28 or 32.
With that change you would only see a decrease in comfort, and extremely small to zero increase in speed... even a potential loss of speed on the flats... depending on the tire, of course - if you went from a flat resistant rigid casing 32mm tire like SPecilized armadillo to a nice supple 25mm racing tire, your experience might have been different.
Old 11-27-14, 06:12 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
With that change you would only see a decrease in comfort, and extremely small to zero increase in speed... even a potential loss of speed on the flats... depending on the tire, of course - if you went from a flat resistant rigid casing 32mm tire like SPecilized armadillo to a nice supple 25mm racing tire, your experience might have been different.
It is a Fuji touring bike, so whatever comes with that, doubt they put on an Armadillo tire. The 25mm tire was a cheap set from Nashbar, but it did nothing much for me. However the inflation was 120 psi so i figured maybe it would put some zip into my touring bike. Touring bikes are more relaxed, so not much use trying to build them into racing machines.

The cromoly frames are great and will prolly last for years, one of my touring bikes is from the 80's an old Trek 620. They don't really dent, so that is what makes it hard to get into aluminum. Yeah i know you can take a hammer to them, but within reason, touring bikes are the tanks of the biking world. Wish they were more popular, but then not many bikes would be sold. hmmm, the industry better keep the emphasis on racing and carbon or go broke.
Old 11-30-14, 01:02 PM
fn1889m

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went from 25 Continental all condition tires to 28 Marathon Plus. The ride was definitely more comfortable, but the tire was heavy, and my speed slowed down by more than I expected. I can use the Continentals on another bike, and replacing them with Gatorskins in 28, given that the weight is less than half. I am sure there are numberous variables, but speed does slow with weight. Just saying. Still, i am tired of riding a Cadillac down a logging road on racing tires. Not worth it.
Old 11-30-14, 01:44 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
For an out in left field answer, Challenge Parigi-Roubaix 700x27 open tubulars? Seriously I run Panaracer Paselas in 700x32C and the ride better and roll faster than the cheap Forte 700x25C tires they replaced.
For 700x28C the Panaracer Gravel King may be worth a look since it has a higher TPI casing than the Pasela.
Old 12-03-14, 03:36 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by altondavis2
The 28mm tires require less psi and I'm sure they would ride more comfortable.
Can any of you guys supply any pros/cons regarding this move ??
Better comfort, safer ride...Check Vittoria Rubino. These are bomb proof.
Old 12-03-14, 03:40 PM
Lone

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't do it, unless you want to slow down so everyone else can keep up.
Old 12-03-14, 07:01 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Lone
don't do it, unless you want to slow down so everyone else can keep up.
This might sound funny to some, but this year I took off my 28s and put on a set of lightweight 38s... on the rough road I sometimes ride with my wife on her 23mm tires, I have to keep my brakes squeezed on the downhills to avoid running away from her.
Old 12-03-14, 07:09 PM
Zapdaba

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 2012, Specialized Stump jumper HT comp carbon, Swobo Sanchez custom build single speed freewheel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was running Specialized Roubaix 23/25's I took off my Roubaix Expert and put on my single speed bike (mavic CXP22 rims). I rode with those tires for a while and then I switched them out for Continental Gatorskins (Ultra) 28mm and felt much better (smooth, quick) without fa downside. Awesome grip and wear and protection. I love Continentals anyway. I have Grand Prixs on my Roubaix and Trail Kings on my Stump Jumper.