Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Showers Pass rain jacket - worth the money???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Showers Pass rain jacket - worth the money???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 03:16 PM
foamy

Bikes: Trek 630 • Jamis Quest • Bilenky Tourlite and various others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadly downtube
200 on a rain jacket?? wo wo wo wo!!
Think about it. I've spent more than twice as much on Musto foul weather gear for sailing. I've also had a no name Gore Tex jacket for sailing that cost $80+. One year and the zips on the no name refuse their duty. Can't get the unzipped ones zipped or the zipped ones unzipped. The pockets are ratty and won't keep anything dry. My Musto gear is five years old and performs like new—no problems at all. So... let's see. For all intents and purposes the no name cost a bill and didn't last a year. The name brand cost a bit over 4 and has been on the job, performing admirably for 5 years with at least that much more time left in 'em. Which is the better value?
Old 01-26-08, 12:04 AM
reidplum
Roadie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
The showers pass jackets I have seen look to be made a lot like the Burley I have (ie) similiar material and weight, taped seams and the like.
As I always like to compare features and such, can anyone point me to an online source for men's Burley rain jackets? I Googled and got a bunch of listings, but none that actually had such online. Thanks!
Old 11-09-11, 10:51 AM
Cyclist5463489
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got the SHowers Pass Club Pro Jacket, I have yet to use it though (will this friday thouhg ^^, can hardly wait) as for getting a hood for it, I doubt I will. helmet cover/ shower cap (on your heltmet) works just fine for me.
Old 11-09-11, 12:56 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-09-11, 01:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Thread was started by someone posting from Germany ,
the cost there is relatively higher
than those buying the Oregon sewn Jacket in the US..

EU made stuff costs quite a bit in the US,
part of that is the currency exchange rate.
Old 11-09-11, 06:57 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I have a SP Touring Jacket, and separate hood. Works pretty good and is durable. Probably worth the price.

https://www.showerspass.com/catalog/m...touring-jacket

I tried numerous jackets before this one, and none offered the waterproofness, breathability (via numerous vents) and durability (worn >50X, still looks like new) of this jacket. This jacket is not intended to be tight-fitting, it needs a loose fit to vent properly, so it's a good jacket if you don't mind looking silly-er than normal. It relies upon numerous vents to breathe, as opposed to the expensive, proprietary W/B fabric of other jackets that can fail or require special maintenance treatments.

I got my SP Touring jacket and hood for $145 three years ago, while the more popular, racier SP Elite eVent jacket cost $220 at the time with no real added benefit. I have some other eVent garments, and although they breathe better than Goretex, they don't breathe enough for high-humidity conditions like we have in the SE USA all the time. The vented sleeves, pits, back flap and neck provide better breathability than eVent IMO. SP Elite jackets probably work a lot better "out west" in the low humidity climes than here in the East.

I'm fairly certain that the SP Touring Jacket is simply a rebadged Burley Rock Point Jacket. The BRP was a highly rated jacket for years. Burley quit selling apparel and recumbents about the same time, and a short time later SP debuted the Touring jacket. The BRP pictured in the link below is identical to my SP Touring jacket in nearly every detail (the SPT jacket added collar velcro to attach an optional hood).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcbomb/page319/

Last edited by seeker333; 11-09-11 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 07:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got a Burly jacket, good , but though I can use the pants, the jacket, an XL, is too large for me .

any 6'6"ers out there? made from the premium waterproof-breathable fabric.

Burly the worker owned cooperative, was put out of business,
and filed for bankruptcy, so they are not around to be rebadged.
rain gear production ceased.

the private buyer of the name, here, for the trailers, are made off shore , now.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-15-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 11:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I bought five different rain jackets last year and tried them all out then returned four. The one I kept was the showers pass elite. Second runner up was the showers pass mountain. The SP mountain would have been the keeper if the collar did not keep rubbing my chin annoyingly. For me the showers pass won mostly on fit for my body. It seemed about the same a soothers for keeping you dry. The SP and all others still left me with unevaporated perspiration on my arms after a hilly twenty mile ride. I have left product reviews at the REI site and the backcountry site if you are interested in a lot of detailed comparison of showers pass to other jackets. Again mostly fit and comfort of the SP jacket got my purchase and about the same as other jackets for dryness.
Old 11-15-11, 10:25 AM
County

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the Showers Pass Touring jacket for a couple of years now. Although it's been one of the most reliable pieces of gear I own, there are a couple of things that were minor annoyances.
First, and the biggest pain in the neck, is that although the collar is lined, the seam tape is laid over it. After some miles the taping starts to chafe my neck in a few places. I wish they would have taped first, then laid a felt lining over that. I eventually added a small strip of my own.
The second issue I've had is with the breast pocket. There is a hole that leads inside the jacket, presumably for headphone routing. While this pocket is also waterproof, when I have my phone in there, steam/moisture builds up in the pocket from that "vent/routing" hole so much that my phone is soaked at the end of a ride. I ended up taping that hole closed, and have much better results now.
All in all, one of the best jackets I've had, and I'd buy it again. I just wanted to give my two cents. Others have mentioned the storm flap at the back. I've never experienced a hangup with it, myself. I do like how it folds down to prevent soggy butt if I'm not wearing waterproof pants during lighter rains when the seat still gets soaked.
Old 11-15-11, 10:42 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to much money. I bought a rain jacket from https://www.bicycleclothing.com/ for $99.00. Great product.
Old 11-16-11, 05:24 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I use th same goretex jacket for hiking, skiing, bicycling, and walking around town when it's raining. Generally I avoid all these activities when it's raining, especially bicycling and skiing, but sometime one can't help getting caught in rain. I find that one jacket works well for all.
Old 11-23-11, 03:30 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I received a SP Touring in the mail. Does anyone here can actually zip-up the collar completely? The only way I can is by choking myself. I've tried a larger size in store and it's still extremely tight.
Old 11-28-11, 12:12 AM
Diamond
Rain Rider

Bikes: Breezer Beltway (commuter), Co-Motion Deschutes, Specialized Tarmac, Salsa La Cruz (rain bike), Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A number of riders in our local club wear SP jackets. They seem happy with them but to me the jackets always look too bulky and flap too much in the wind. Do other riders find this to be the case or are my friends buying the wrong size? I note they now sell an elite pro jacket with a high performance fit. Maybe that is what I want?

https://https://www.showerspass.com/ca...ite-pro-jacket
Old 11-28-11, 12:36 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My wife has been a fan of SP jackets for a long time as she finds that they are one of the few companies that design a cycling jacket that fits her rather curvaceous form properly as not all women are built like 12 year old boys...

She now has two SP jackets in two sizes as she likes to use a slightly larger sized (men's) jacket for winter riding in PDX when she wears more layers beneath.

For me, I love my Columbia Omnitech which is not a cycling specific jacket but has served to keep me dry and warm in the wet winters of PDX and serves me well in the frigid and usually dry conditions I experience here... since the shell jacket compresses so well it always comes with me on summer rides and tours.
Old 12-09-11, 11:19 PM
Cyclist5463489
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to use my Showers Pass Club Pro alot recently and I'm really liking it.