Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Bag Suggestions Please

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-08-16, 06:04 PM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for a nice bar bag. One for touring that is waterproof with all the bells and whistles but maybe not a huge one. Map holder would be a plus. What do you hard core distance riders use??
Old 08-08-16, 09:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
For me I would go with a set up like this:
My Thomson and Ortlieb Decaleur Hack ? Morgan Taylor | The Radavist

I couldn't really run that set up on my touring bike the way I have it right now but I might do it on an upcoming build or build a cheaper but similar set up for a friend if I turn his old mountain bike into a tourer. Swift always seems to get great reviews and makes some nice bags and I really like their stuff. Plus they make their own stuff in the USA (unless things have changed).

If I was looking to carry smaller stuff I might go with the Topeak Fuel Tank or a Timbuk2 Goody Box (I could put a cue sheet in there or one of those new fangled computer phones) However I generally like a cleaner cockpit with only smaller stuff up front.
Old 08-08-16, 09:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Not a big fan of large handlebar bags. I like this jandd handlebar bag: Jandd Mountain 4 Handlebar Bag: Black in Tree Fort Bikes Handlebar Bags

It's small and has a map case. The mounting device is first rate and will not mar your bars. It's also not waterproof but plastic bags fix that. For my purposes, it is the right size. YMMV.
Old 08-08-16, 11:08 PM
BohicaX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you decide on any Ortlieb handlebar bags ditch the supplied mounts and get these far superior.

Rixen Kaul Klickfix Handlebar Fitting | Chain Reaction Cycles

Rixen Kaul Klickfix Handlebar Fitting inc. Lock | Chain Reaction Cycles

I use Ultimate 6 Classic

https://ortliebusa.com/product-categ...r-bags/page/2/

Map case I use

https://ortliebusa.com/product/ultim...ap-case-f1401/
Old 08-08-16, 11:19 PM
jonpear6

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Fargo, 1979 Viner Special Professional, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my Nitto M18 and Swift Ozette. Doesn't rattle. Holds everything I would need. Looks dang good.
Old 08-09-16, 03:02 AM
Bike Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not a big fan of large handlebar bags. I like this jandd handlebar bag: Jandd Mountain 4 Handlebar Bag: Black in Tree Fort Bikes Handlebar Bags

It's small and has a map case. The mounting device is first rate and will not mar your bars. It's also not waterproof but plastic bags fix that. For my purposes, it is the right size. YMMV.

I haven't heard of this brand before and I like the size.
Old 08-09-16, 03:08 AM
Bike Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BohicaX

WOW thanks for all the links. Ortlieb is one of the brands I have thought about buying. What makes the Klickfix mounts so much better??
Old 08-09-16, 05:43 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
The Ortlieb mounts are Klickfix. Nothing wrong with them, really.

Originally Posted by BohicaX
Old 08-09-16, 05:51 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
The mount that comes with the Ortleib uses a couple of criss crossed wires to hold the bag on to the handlebars. It's a bizarre pain in the neck to attach it. The Raven Kaul mount linked to clamps onto the handle bars and then a single wire is used to stop the bag from sagging. It's a far simpler and more satisfying mount.

I use an Ortlied Classic and the Raven and Kaul and it's the best handlebar bag I've tried. It isn't perfect as the strap attaching could be easier and the lid can sometimes be fiddly to close, but it's simple, tough, waterproof and easy to get on and off the bike.
Old 08-09-16, 05:56 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Please. 20 minutes tops, and you've installed it. Nothing bizarre about it. You loop the wire around and through the mount, tighten the bolts, and you're set to go.
Originally Posted by nun
It's a bizarre pain in the neck to attach it...
Old 08-09-16, 06:20 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Ortlieb mount takes some time to install and is a bit of a pain, but is incredibly stable and works well. Until you have to make any sort of adjustment on the handlebars and need to temporarily remove it and find that it's almost impossible to use the cable again. The Klickfix mounts are much better for any bike where you might be swapping out the handlebars.

My bands:
Old 08-09-16, 06:24 AM
BohicaX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Life
WOW thanks for all the links. Ortlieb is one of the brands I have thought about buying. What makes the Klickfix mounts so much better??
Hi Nun and Neilfein has spelt it out they have the added U saddles that clamp to the bars a firmer fit and more secure no bouce
Old 08-09-16, 06:32 AM
Abu Mahendra

Wow. And to think that the cable on the mount pictured below is now on its third different bike. You need to adjust it? Loosen the two bolts, adjust, tighten the bolts again. Done. You exaggerate.

Originally Posted by neilfein
The Ortlieb mount takes some time to install and is a bit of a pain, but is incredibly stable and works well. Until you have to make any sort of adjustment on the handlebars and need to temporarily remove it and find that it's almost impossible to use the cable again. The Klickfix mounts are much better for any bike where you might be swapping out the handlebars.
Old 08-09-16, 06:39 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Wow. And to think that the cable on the mount pictured below is now on its third different bike. You need to adjust it? Loosen the two bolts, adjust, tighten the bolts again. Done. You exaggerate.
Your experience was good, and that's great, but a few minutes on google will show that many others have had the same problem: The cable gets easily crushed. Ortlieb needs to redesign this system.

My bands:
Old 08-09-16, 06:48 AM
BohicaX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Life
What makes the Klickfix mounts so much better??

Ok a little more...

Many things stand out I guess the first thing is the feel with the rounded edges compared to the more sharper ones of the Ortlieb. The "U" shaped clamps are very chunky and clamps well onto the bars. Another stand out is the button to release the bag from the mount is stronger plus the lower hook section that locks the bag to the mount is wider giving more surface contact compared to the triangulated one of Ortlieb. The final thing is that the KlickFix is a far better fit the tolerances are so good that the bag doesn't giggle around the Ortlieb the bag slops around with a small amount of play. Being able to play with the KlickFix it's a far superior product in more ways than just the wire issue.
Old 08-09-16, 06:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Consider a second stem if you have enough steerer tube to mount it.

In the photo you can see I have a second lower stem with my handlebar bag bracket. It lowers the center of gravity a bit and it frees up some of your handlebar for other accessories. The best way to do this is with a short piece of handlebar that you cut off with a hack saw, but in the photo I used a short piece of PVC pipe to go between the bracket and the stem.

ADDENDUM ADDED MUCH LATER:
Today my PVC pipe for my second stem broke. I will be looking for a discarded or cheap handlebar to cut to replace it. Fortunately I was less than two miles from home when it broke. Rode 54 miles today, so it could have picked a much worse time to break. I no longer suggest PVC pipe for that purpose.

I am looking for old posts where I suggested PVC pipe to make this additional comment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0089.jpg (98.0 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-25-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-09-16, 07:47 AM
bikebark

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Carradice Super C handlebar bag, which I really like. lt is not too large and has a great map case. I used to use a large Arkel handlebar bag, but it was uncomfortable to carry off the bike due to its large size.

Old 08-09-16, 08:52 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
I use an Arkel Large bar bag. It fits my huge camera well, but as said above it is massive box and a burden to carry off bike.
Old 08-09-16, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
What makes the Klickfix mounts so much better??
the figure 8 cable mount is rather complicated to install remove and install,
the cables are only available from Ortlieb sellers..

[KF uses 2 plastic 'U's, & a section of common cable (old brake cable OK)

and K F wholesales their mount hardware to other bag Makers like Berthoud & Carradice..

'''///,,,

+1, I can hang an Ortlieb bag from a R&K bar mount ..

I have used R&K's wire bag support and adapted an Ortlieb Camera Bag..

& since I toured by Large panel Maps, in water Proof/ resistant.. covers draped over my Bar bag.

a non waterproof sewn bar bag was fine..

Now the most bells and whistles is Ortlieb's bar bag with electrical contacts to charge your toys inside the bag

from the Hub Dynamo wired up to the Bar Bag mount https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Ultimate6%20Pro%20E/

and have them all inside the bag, which you remove to keep them from getting Nicked,
when you stop for Lunch at Cafes, and so Forth..

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/technisches/lenkertaschen/

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-12-16 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 10:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I've been using an Ortlieb with the map attachment for years. It is possible to get the mounting cable snug but not so tight that it gets damaged. If it is tightened too much, you can buy a replacement cable or mount. I've done all three (reused as is, new cable, new mount).

The Ortlieb is a nice bag, a bit on the large side, so make sure you fill it with fluffy things that don't weigh too much. It's seriously waterproof in hard rain, at least until you open it. That "troublesome" mount is secure and stable, and it will give you no trouble once it's on until you need to change your bars, whether that's from an accident or replacing a broken frame. The map holder may flap a bit in a headwind over 20 mph, so I supplemented it with 3' of 1/8" shock cord looped around the mount that I can stretch over the map holder to keep it secure.

Arkel also has a nice bar bag with map holder, but I don't have any experience using it.
Old 08-09-16, 12:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've been using an Ortlieb with the map attachment for years. It is possible to get the mounting cable snug but not so tight that it gets damaged. If it is tightened too much, you can buy a replacement cable or mount. I've done all three (reused as is, new cable, new mount).
I do not use an Ortlieb, but mine also uses a cable on the bracket mount. I just use some stainless left over cable that I cut off from the last time I installed a brake or derailluer cable. Where the cable contacts a painted surface, I wrapped some electrical tape around the cable to protect it from chafing.
Old 08-09-16, 05:36 PM
Abu Mahendra

The cable that comes with Ortlieb is encased in a plastic sleeve. No chafing or scratching.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not use an Ortlieb, but mine also uses a cable on the bracket mount. I just use some stainless left over cable that I cut off from the last time I installed a brake or derailluer cable. Where the cable contacts a painted surface, I wrapped some electrical tape around the cable to protect it from chafing.
Old 08-09-16, 07:31 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Consider a second stem if you have enough steerer tube to mount it.

In the photo you can see I have a second lower stem with my handlebar bag bracket. It lowers the center of gravity a bit and it frees up some of your handlebar for other accessories. The best way to do this is with a short piece of handlebar that you cut off with a hack saw, but in the photo I used a short piece of PVC pipe to go between the bracket and the stem.
This looks like a really good idea. One of my main reasons for avoiding a bar-bag is because of it blocking up my bar mount area.

I just ordered up one of these and plan to see if it works out attaching it to the top of my front rack as an alternative to a bar-bag. This would essentially achieve the same goal.

This bag is waterproof of course,

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...ag-_-pp_100055
Old 08-09-16, 07:37 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein

I have gotten good at removing and reinstalling the Ortlieb mount. I have removed and installed this one at least five times with he same cable. It takes me only a few minutes to do so. You don't have to remove the abel completely from the mount.

As for a handlebar bag, I like the Orlieb very much. It is waterproof and holds plenty, is easy to remove and put back on and comes with a nice strap to make it easy to carry. I use it every day, rain or shine.
Old 08-09-16, 09:46 PM
neilfein

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phughes
I have gotten good at removing and reinstalling the Ortlieb mount. I have removed and installed this one at least five times with he same cable. It takes me only a few minutes to do so. You don't have to remove the abel completely from the mount.
Certainly this is possible but it's bad design to require the user to "get good" at installing and adjusting their product. Even though they're less elegant, I'll stick with using Kikckfix mounts for my Ortlieb handlebar bag.

My bands:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.