Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Long distance touring with a hip replacement

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 01:26 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I have been living with a painful left hip for some time and I am scheduled for a total hip replacement in November. A very big concern of mine is my ability to bicycle tour with an artificial hips(s). I have searched these forums and the internet in general for other's experiences with touring following a hip replacement. Plenty of folks share their experiences but I don't get the sense that these folks are doing long distance touring. I am a year or two away from retirement and I want to be able to cycle across the US when I have the time. The surgeon doesn't feel it will be a problem but I would really like to hear from you fellow cyclotourists who have experienced a hip replacement as to what I can expect, etc.
Old 08-17-17, 02:04 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck. Stay determined.
Old 08-17-17, 02:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
The GM of my office has had both hips replaced and can ride back to back to back days on a road bike. He is 52, had his 1st replaced a decade ago and the 2nd was replaced 2 years ago.

Yes, that isnt touring, but he is able to do a kickboxing workout each morning and ride multiple days in a row. Thats more than most of society does.
Old 08-17-17, 03:44 PM
vlicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a total replacement of my right hip about 12 years ago. I have had no problems from it. The orthopedist said it was one of the worst hips he had seen. I rode a century 6 months after the replacement. At 63 I still regularly ride centuries, and recently did a 12 day tour averaging 40 miles a day. I aam also able to cross country ski both classic and skate at a high level and can race 30 km and longer without any problem. Hip replacement surgery has come a long way over the past 20 years. It is quite common to find replacements in people in their early 50s. Many of us beat up our bodies in our 20s and 30s leading active lifestyles. Fortunately, we can continue to do so after hip replacement. If you have a doctor who is aware of your physical activities he or she should be able to get you on a good rehab program after surgery. Mine had me biking as part of the recovery program Baring any complications I would think the recovery will go well and you will be out and about sooner than you think. I have at least 6 friends with replacements and all of them are still hiking, skiing, and biking as strong as ever. The only thing I don't do is long runs which I gladly gave up to be pain free and still engage in all the other activities. Good luck, take time to heal, work at the rehab, and you will be surprised how well you will feel.
Old 08-17-17, 11:31 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
A friend in only mid-20's had a knee replacement from hockey/ski injuries, said it worked great & allowed to resume the active lifestyle.
Old 08-18-17, 07:20 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vlicon
I had a total replacement of my right hip about 12 years ago. I have had no problems from it. The orthopedist said it was one of the worst hips he had seen. I rode a century 6 months after the replacement. At 63 I still regularly ride centuries, and recently did a 12 day tour averaging 40 miles a day. I aam also able to cross country ski both classic and skate at a high level and can race 30 km and longer without any problem. Hip replacement surgery has come a long way over the past 20 years. It is quite common to find replacements in people in their early 50s. Many of us beat up our bodies in our 20s and 30s leading active lifestyles. Fortunately, we can continue to do so after hip replacement. If you have a doctor who is aware of your physical activities he or she should be able to get you on a good rehab program after surgery. Mine had me biking as part of the recovery program Baring any complications I would think the recovery will go well and you will be out and about sooner than you think. I have at least 6 friends with replacements and all of them are still hiking, skiing, and biking as strong as ever. The only thing I don't do is long runs which I gladly gave up to be pain free and still engage in all the other activities. Good luck, take time to heal, work at the rehab, and you will be surprised how well you will feel.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like it's all been good for you- that's the kind of report I want to hear. It's been weird for me because even though my hip has been arthritic for some time, it did not bother me too much until about two months ago, it just started aching. If I would stand or walk for more than 10 minutes my legs would ache. It still did not bother me to ride. Around July 4, I took an 800 mile self supported trip over 10 days and didn't have any issue. Now, if I ride more than 10 miles I start to feel it. So, I decided to schedule surgery. I just want a level of confidence that I won't have to quit taking cycling adventures and what you and other here have said is very helpful.
Old 08-18-17, 07:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
A woman I know had at least one hip replaced. She does multi-day supported trips (she's not into camping or carrying gear) with no problems and generally rides a lot of longer distance rides. She's got to be in her mid 60s and had the replacement several years ago. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 08-18-17, 07:51 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
You need to speak to your physician. anyone's opinion or experience is meaningless. That said most people return to normal activity after such an operation but not all. Talk to your doctor.
Old 08-18-17, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My tours were taken at a relatively slow rate of speed with a lot of distractions and breaks, off the bike..

It is possible to do your cross us trip in sections, returning to your ending point on another year..

people do the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela, in the same manner.. taking it in realistic sections, as time allows, over a few years..

Old 08-18-17, 11:22 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
You need to speak to your physician. anyone's opinion or experience is meaningless. That said most people return to normal activity after such an operation but not all. Talk to your doctor.
Of course I will speak to my physician. Why would you say what other people have experienced is meaningless? I disagree completely. I want to hear how other cyclotourists have fared after hip replacements.
Old 08-18-17, 11:38 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
Of course I will speak to my physician. Why would you say what other people have experienced is meaningless? I disagree completely. I want to hear how other cyclotourists have fared after hip replacements.

Everyone is different. So their experience is of little value. Most people I know that had it done were better than before. But I know at least one person that had a terrible issues with the operation.

Chances are your physician will tell you that you can return to normal activity but you aren't going to know for sure till after the operation. Good luck.
Old 08-19-17, 03:13 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Everyone is different. So their experience is of little value. Most people I know that had it done were better than before. But I know at least one person that had a terrible issues with the operation.

Chances are your physician will tell you that you can return to normal activity but you aren't going to know for sure till after the operation. Good luck.
It's great you feel that little is learned from other cyclist's experience but I still want to hear what others have to say.
Old 08-19-17, 11:05 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I have been living with a painful left hip for some time and I am scheduled for a total hip replacement in November. A very big concern of mine is my ability to bicycle tour with an artificial hips(s). I have searched these forums and the internet in general for other's experiences with touring following a hip replacement. Plenty of folks share their experiences but I don't get the sense that these folks are doing long distance touring. I am a year or two away from retirement and I want to be able to cycle across the US when I have the time. The surgeon doesn't feel it will be a problem but I would really like to hear from you fellow cyclotourists who have experienced a hip replacement as to what I can expect, etc.
Not really touring, but to possibly give you a bit of encouragement. A good friend's 80 year old mom just had a hip replaced. Here is what she wrote regarding her mom, "I never would have believed that my almost 80 yr. old mother would have a total hip done and be home the next day, but here she is! She was standing 2 hrs. post op and climbing stairs in physical therapy this a.m!"

Talk to your doctor. Most people I have known who have had the surgery, have gone on to be active again, sometimes more active than they had been before the surgery. Best of luck!
Old 08-21-17, 12:51 AM
DropBarFan

Most of folks getting knee or hip replacement are sedentary to start with so can skew results. Fitter/more-motivated patients probably do 5X better.
Old 08-21-17, 04:59 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
guy i used to cycle with had both hips replaced he just finished a 1000 mile tour across germany i toured in france and the uk with him strong as a bloody horse.
you'll be fine just remember to let your body heal before you start jumping fences.
Old 08-21-17, 07:11 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
guy i used to cycle with had both hips replaced he just finished a 1000 mile tour across germany i toured in france and the uk with him strong as a bloody horse.
you'll be fine just remember to let your body heal before you start jumping fences.
I have no problem with being patient. I am having my left hip done in November and will take it easy over the winter. I am a daily bike commuter so it will be weird to drive to work until I am ready to go, but that's okay.
Old 08-21-17, 10:28 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I have no problem with being patient. I am having my left hip done in November and will take it easy over the winter. I am a daily bike commuter so it will be weird to drive to work until I am ready to go, but that's okay.
I think the fact you are going into the hip replacement, already fit, will help a lot. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-22-17, 06:38 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's great you feel that little is learned from other cyclist's experience but I still want to hear what others have to say.
Exactly! Hearing from those that have been able to continue along, including touring,
even if there aren't that many, gives a person optimism and the drive and determination
to "get back on the bike" literally.
Although I haven't had hip replacement, I did have complicated surgery to repair a broken
hip at age 54. I was a runner and toured long distance. Because of the encouragement from
others in a similar situation, and despite all the nay sayers, including family and doctors, I was
back touring, doing a big part of the Alaskan Hwy 14 months later. I was also back running
long distances as well. Doing your part in rehab, including at home as well, and keeping an
optimistic attitude and determination is the key! Sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself
gains you nothing.
Old 08-22-17, 06:55 PM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
Exactly! Hearing from those that have been able to continue along, including touring,
even if there aren't that many, gives a person optimism and the drive and determination
to "get back on the bike" literally.
Although I haven't had hip replacement, I did have complicated surgery to repair a broken
hip at age 54. I was a runner and toured long distance. Because of the encouragement from
others in a similar situation, and despite all the nay sayers, including family and doctors, I was
back touring, doing a big part of the Alaskan Hwy 14 months later. I was also back running
long distances as well. Doing your part in rehab, including at home as well, and keeping an
optimistic attitude and determination is the key! Sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself
gains you nothing.
Yes, I agree. My take is that my cycling will improve because I will be pain free. I definitely will not sit around feeling sorry for myself. Rather I will be planning my next bike adventure.
Old 08-22-17, 10:49 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My brother in law is in his early fifties and had his (congenitally defective) hip replaced a few years ago. Let's see, this year he has won a small race off-road across NorCal that was something like 300 miles long, explored a route for a proposed off-road cycling race in SoCal on his bike, just finished a 700 mile off-road tour in Colorado and done a ton of training rides in Tahoe, his home base.

Of course he cheated and saw his physical therapist every day before and after his surgery. That would have been hard to avoid since he's his own PT, and a darned good one at that.

By the way, he put off the surgery as long as possible, but was finally in constant pain at levels he couldn't take. Within weeks of the replacement, he was kicking himself for waiting so long. Good luck with your new parts.
Old 08-23-17, 07:32 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
My brother in law is in his early fifties and had his (congenitally defective) hip replaced a few years ago. Let's see, this year he has won a small race off-road across NorCal that was something like 300 miles long, explored a route for a proposed off-road cycling race in SoCal on his bike, just finished a 700 mile off-road tour in Colorado and done a ton of training rides in Tahoe, his home base.

Of course he cheated and saw his physical therapist every day before and after his surgery. That would have been hard to avoid since he's his own PT, and a darned good one at that.

By the way, he put off the surgery as long as possible, but was finally in constant pain at levels he couldn't take. Within weeks of the replacement, he was kicking himself for waiting so long. Good luck with your new parts.
Thanks, good information. I have my surgery scheduled for November because I have an open schedule for the next month or so after that. However, I would like to have it tomorrow. My six mile commute is becoming increasingly uncomfortable.
Old 08-23-17, 07:00 PM
Sam.g49

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI Robert,

I had total hip replacement in 2013 at age 63 and just returned from a 3 week self supported bike tour of about 970 miles with over 40,000' of climbing. We started in Seattle and rode north for a week on Vancouver Isalnd then drove to Jasper and headed down the Icefield Parkway to Whitefish MT following ACA's Great Parks North route.

We used credit cards to stay in hotels and ate at restaurants but were still carrying 25-30#'s of gear. Lots of rain and cold weather gear plus spare parts and tools. My only issues was shoulder pain from a broken collar bone due to a bike accident last summer. The artificial hip was fine and we had allot of steep climbs some up to 14%!

My hip replacement was actually easier than anticipated but I elected to have the anterior procedure which allows for a faster recovery, highly recommend! I am an ex-runner but haven't run since surgery, no need to wear it out prematurely. I stay active cycling about 4-5,000 miles per year plus lift weights and practice yoga. I have to say the slowing down due to age (68 next month) is my only issue.

Don't worry about the hip replacement but ask your doctor if he's performing the Anterior procedure.

Tailwinds

Sam
Old 08-24-17, 04:09 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam.g49
HI Robert,

I had total hip replacement in 2013 at age 63 and just returned from a 3 week self supported bike tour of about 970 miles with over 40,000' of climbing. We started in Seattle and rode north for a week on Vancouver Isalnd then drove to Jasper and headed down the Icefield Parkway to Whitefish MT following ACA's Great Parks North route.

We used credit cards to stay in hotels and ate at restaurants but were still carrying 25-30#'s of gear. Lots of rain and cold weather gear plus spare parts and tools. My only issues was shoulder pain from a broken collar bone due to a bike accident last summer. The artificial hip was fine and we had allot of steep climbs some up to 14%!

My hip replacement was actually easier than anticipated but I elected to have the anterior procedure which allows for a faster recovery, highly recommend! I am an ex-runner but haven't run since surgery, no need to wear it out prematurely. I stay active cycling about 4-5,000 miles per year plus lift weights and practice yoga. I have to say the slowing down due to age (68 next month) is my only issue.

Don't worry about the hip replacement but ask your doctor if he's performing the Anterior procedure.

Tailwinds

Sam
Great to hear you've had no problem with hip. I'm also an ex-runner. I quit over ten years ago when my hip issue was first detected and took up cycling. I would hate to have to give up the joy I experience from long days in the saddle pedaling through parts unknown so I am glad to hear what you have to say. I am pretty sure my procedure is anterior but I will ask again to make sure.
Old 08-26-17, 10:15 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not a long distance tourer, but do cycle a lot & have done 3-4 day trips of 120+ total miles. That all being said, the only trouble that I've bee having lately is getting my leg swung over the bike. I'm working hard at it because I love my current bike. I'm 68 yo & my replacement was done in 2012. It was also the anterior approach. Good luck. It should t slow you down.
Old 08-26-17, 06:55 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by MJH
Not a long distance tourer, but do cycle a lot & have done 3-4 day trips of 120+ total miles. That all being said, the only trouble that I've bee having lately is getting my leg swung over the bike. I'm working hard at it because I love my current bike. I'm 68 yo & my replacement was done in 2012. It was also the anterior approach. Good luck. It should t slow you down.

Don't feel bad: I have a dog gate that I prop up at bottom of steps, almost everybody insists on picking the thing up to avoid lifting their chubby legs the mere 2-1/2' height. & they don't have hip problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.