Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bent axles with 8 speed freewheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bent axles with 8 speed freewheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 11:46 AM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
How frequently or how likely is it that a 10mm standard axle will bend when using an 8 speed freewheel?

I ask because I would like to run an 8 speed but have incompatible parts, Campy Chorus with 8 speed original and 8 speed cassette but EXA configuration. 8 speed original cassettes are exorbitant on the bay compared to an 8 speed freewheel.

I have an older Chorus/Record hub for a freewheel that is unused and laced already. Plus, since the spacing is the same, I can use the 8 Speed ergo's.
Vintage bike guy
Back when I rode freewheels with axle extensions for the 7 speeds , with 126mm rear spacing there were occasional bent or broken axle a few times. So your 8 speed freewheel needs even more axle spacing that allows more stress at that extension point at the bearing cone edge, so this is not a hot setup. If you want to keep your old 80s bikes running with 126mm spacing and retro freewheels, Id just re adjust the spacers on that axle for 7 speed, and trim the axle OLD back to 126mm so you wont bend axle easily OR commit to a later 90s era Campy Cassette hub to run in that steel frame. Maybe even have a good mechanic or frame builder re space your rear triangle if you want to stick with 8 speed? The 8 speed FReewheel of early 90s was a bad idea for most riders, way too weak an axle setup
Old 02-08-20, 11:52 AM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had this nice hub, stronger axle for freewheel and should hold out fine for most riders , maybe strong enough for a 180 lb rider? I was careful to back off on the left side cone with wheel clamped in frame so that it ran with minimal bearing drag, but with no play, to help extend bearing life. Dont ride that hub with the left cone snugged up all the way. wears cartridges out too fast. I could also pull off seals with hub intact to re grease after so many miles
Old 02-08-20, 12:45 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Resurrected nearly 2 years old thread. I think the OP figured it out by now.

I remember back in the day that bent or broken axles on 7 speed freewheel wheels was a fairly common thing. that's why cassette hubs were developed and became so common. I have an 8-speed Sachs corncob freewheel that I wouldn't use on a n great distance rides.

Cheers
Old 02-08-20, 09:31 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Friend of mine, weighs about 230, experienced road cyclist -knows how to unweight wheels for bumps and whatnot.
Tried an 8spd freewheel once, said his axle lasted about a week. Rebuilt the wheel with a cassette hub.
Back when I road a freewheel I found I would bend 6 speed axles even with unloading the wheel. I asked the LBS what to do and he said to replace the axles in my Japanese hub with an old campy axle, cones, and locknut. He said pay and cry, but only once. He was right, no bends. I used the same tactic on my Peugeot UO-8 with a 5 speed axle. That had the benefit of no more French thread worry.
Old 02-08-20, 10:14 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
DOH...missed that it was a resurrected thread.

=8-(

Don't recommended doing it BUT if you must:

https://www.mrrabbit.net/docs/freewhe...OLD_sizing.pdf

See row for 8 speed.

If you do go this route, make certain to have the rear dropouts checked...especially if you've never done it before. You need to make certain that any compression load on the axle is 100% linear to the axle...not off.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-08-20, 10:50 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
How frequently or how likely is it that a 10mm standard axle will bend when using an 8 speed freewheel?

I ask because I would like to run an 8 speed but have incompatible parts, Campy Chorus with 8 speed original and 8 speed cassette but EXA configuration. 8 speed original cassettes are exorbitant on the bay compared to an 8 speed freewheel.

I have an older Chorus/Record hub for a freewheel that is unused and laced already. Plus, since the spacing is the same, I can use the 8 Speed ergo's.
As noted, the spacing on an 8 speed freewheel is probably Shimano spacing and not Campagnolo. But, spacing on. I think, all 7 speed freewheels is the same as 8 speed Campagnolo spacing. So, with a 7 speed freewheel and 8 speed Campagnolo brifters, you should be good to go -- lock out the eight choice with your derailleur limits. I've run this very setup with success.

As for the 8 speed freewheels as opposed to 7 speed. Best I can tell, the difference is on the small sprocket end. 8 speed freewheels have 11 or 12 tooth sprockets while the seven speed freewheels that I have are 13-28 or 13-30. I don't need and really can't use an 11 or 12 tooth small sprocket so the 8 speed adds nothing for me. Unless I go to a 48t big ring or something. But, even with a 48t big ring, I can't spin anything smaller than 13t on the rear.
Old 02-09-20, 06:44 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Resurrected nearly 2 years old thread. I think the OP figured it out by now.
Yup, I did. I used the DA hub with the DA block and Wheel Smith spacers to get the 8V to work with the Ergos.
P1010339, on Flickr
Old 02-09-20, 08:08 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Yup, I did. I used the DA hub with the DA block and Wheel Smith spacers to get the 8V to work with the Ergos.
P1010339, on Flickr
Neat. Well done.

Cheers